Being judged

Options
It's very difficult when I feel that people are judging me because. I want to lose weight. I only want to lose a few pounds, not lots. I just want to feel like I did before, it's not that I think I'm too big, or unheathly, just that I want to feel good again.

Replies

• TheresaEdwardsmfp
    TheresaEdwardsmfp Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ah no, it's defo not anyone on this site. It's defo family and friends. They're not being mean, they're just not understanding where I'm coming from. I have 4 sisters and 4 brothers. They always see me as I was, not as I feel.
  • Cora0477
    Cora0477 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I agree with not phrasing it in terms of losing weight, but instead phrasing it in terms of wanting to get healthier and more fit. Which is what you’ve said you are really after anyway. I think most people can get behind a desire to feel healthier even if they think you don’t need to lose weight.

Good luck!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said. No one needs to know what I'm doing. I exercise and eat the same types of foods regardless of whether I am trying to lose weight so there's really nothing for them to notice anyway, I would have to specifically tell them.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    YES to what everyone said :D
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm small framed and while I used to be quite heavy now I am petite and within a heathy weight range. I am conscious of my weight as without being careful I gain easily and to family and friends I am the fussy one. I'm okay with that because being the fussy one is much better for me than being the fat one.

I also think that sometimes me being careful results in them thinking about their weight, health or fitness habits which can cause them to feel guilty about the choices they are making.
  • dar1182
    dar1182 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way.. I only want to lose a little weight, get fit and fit into the clothes I already have, but the high bllood pressure diagnosis scared me and gave me an incentive to get moving again. I only stand 4 11 and 3/4 tall and no one sees me as overweight, but at that small stature even a little shows quickly.. I am finally feeling better, am doing something every day to get in better shape and lose the dangerous fat that sneaks up on all of us.. one of my clients was very controlling and stressed me out to the point it made me sick, literally. She died in November and
    then in Dec was the high blood pressure.. Since working out and walking it is in the god to normal range and i check it often..Its a silent killer, as I did not feel any different, but after seeing th readings i knew it was a problem. I hate it when others judge and look at you and are puzzled that you want to lose so I just say I want to get in shape and not have a sedentary life style. I just turned 62 and aging issues sneak up very quickly, so Gilrs, I support you getting healthy!! we are all in it to win it in a sense of speaking.. I only share with those that will support me and some of my friends and family are there for me, those are the ones you want to share with and get support from.. so keep up the good work!!
  • ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You know, I think it might be a woman thing. No one has ever commented on my husband's appearance, but when I meet someone the second or third comment is about my appearance....

BTW, I'm seeking some MFP friends for peer support, so please send me a friend request!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,831 Member
    Options
    That's what is so awesome about MFP. And this particular group. ***WE GET IT!!*** As a smaller petite gal the most I have ever been over is say 30 pounds. But because of yo yo ing over the years most of it was fat. I could hide it pretty durn well but boy did it make my knees hurt going up steps. So we do this for ourselves and we have a good group of support women here for sure!
  • opalbeaulieu
    opalbeaulieu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually talk about aiming to gain healthy muscle and achieve fitness goals like running or climbing, and don't mention fat loss even when it's in my plan! Not that I think you need to justify anything to others, but this enables me to discuss health in a positive way with people without being told I shouldn't be losing weight. People dont like too much change in those they know, especially if you're under average and slim, but they do get used to it once it happens.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Not everybody understands a desire to be healthier or fitter, or to look a certain way. If I can stop myself from seeking the approval of others, I find that I am much happier. Easier said than done, of course, for most of us, but you need answer only to yourself.