Just introducing myself :-)

Options
Hi all
I've been strength training for 4 years although took a year out with a shoulder injury. I'm back on it again with a new PT and being the only woman in my gym that uses weights, it would be nice to discuss tips :-)
Jayne

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    hi Jayne, I'm Jen!
  • RhythmGypsi
    RhythmGypsi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi Jayne!

I am also Jen lol How awesome that you are back in the gym, doing your thing! Maybe other women will be inspired by what you're doing!

At my gym, there are a number of women using weights, and it always inspires me to keep doing my best along with them.

Welcome to the group! <3
  • bodbybridgette
    bodbybridgette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Bridgette
  • smhughes6578
    smhughes6578 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

New to (looking to begin formally) strength training. Having recovered from two broken arms, I was really just looking forward to being able to hold enough of my weight to go back to doing yoga :smile: ; now recovered from a broken ankle - and having lost 30 lbs so far... I want to focus on improving my strength.

Somehow, I find myself focusing too much on cardio (MFP shows you how many calories burned) and like a trained chimp, I keep chasing them :blush:

I know it is just as important to build muscle ~ which ironically helps you to burn more calories :smile:

Good luck everyone,
    Sarah
  • kzzr
    kzzr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I'm Kerrie, just starting back at Oly after a few months break, (finally managed to purchase a bar and weights for home) while waiting for the gym to re-open.

I find the heavy weight section overloaded with dudes who just want to hog everything and stand around talking crap, but when I'm at my actual weightlifting club there's more women standing around talking crap lol, but no one hogs anything, and everyone is really helpful, maybe a specific club might be a good idea? especially if you have injuries. I have vertigo and really struggle balance wise when doing a snatch, so I need more room in case the bar gets away from me.

@smhughes6578 do you use a heart rate monitor? I have an Apple watch and it calculates my calories when lifting, it's not going to be as high as cardio, but you can still chase calories doing weight sessions
  • smhughes6578
    smhughes6578 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Kerrie,
    Thank you for the heads up; no, I do not have a HRM or an Apple watch. I have an Android smart phone, I'm sure I'll be able to find an app for that.

I don't know how you balance with vertigo at all. My ex-husband had a severe bout of it the winter of 2018 and he needed me to stay and help him out - and we'd been divorced since 2002 :( Still hoping he'll find someone else :)

But to be fair, he helped me out when I broke both of my arms in 2017, and when I broke my ankle... just after he'd recovered from vertigo :smile:

And if you don't mind my asking, what is a "snatch"?

Stay safe and have a great week.

Sarah