What Scripture are You Currently Memorizing?

Hi friends!

I wanted to know what Scripture verse or passage you may be working on memorizing. I have been wanting to memorize more recently, to treasure God's word in my heart and build my house on the solid Rock, so to speak. Currently I am working on Ephesians 6:10-? (I'm not sure how far I'll go yet). So far I have 10-13 down:

"Finally brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.
"Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the worldly forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
"Therefore, take up the full armor of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."

So if you guys don't mind, could you take a moment and share what Scripture you are working on memorizing, how far you have gotten, and if you have any little tips or tricks to solidify the memory process.

I'm also trying to make a list of Scriptures to memorize in the future, so I'm ready to hear what you've got! :)

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Hi friends!

I wanted to know what Scripture verse or passage you may be working on memorizing. I have been wanting to memorize more recently, to treasure God's word in my heart and build my house on the solid Rock, so to speak. Currently I am working on Ephesians 6:10-? (I'm not sure how far I'll go yet). So far I have 10-13 down:

"Finally brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.
    "Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
    "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the worldly forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
    "Therefore, take up the full armor of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."

So if you guys don't mind, could you take a moment and share what Scripture you are working on memorizing, how far you have gotten, and if you have any little tips or tricks to solidify the memory process.

I'm also trying to make a list of Scriptures to memorize in the future, so I'm ready to hear what you've got! :)

:flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:

You are such a beautiful person, and what lovely questions these are!

I have never (that I can remember), took the "effort" to remember or memorize Scripture. Yet, The Word is filled in my heart and mind so much that it comes to me "automatically" if you will. I attribute this to daily reading/studying His Word, "eating/chewing/drinking" it as I call it all the days of my born again life. The Word of God is like "food" to me--food/drink to/for my spirit. Because of this, just like I must eat and drink daily in my natural life to live...it's just exactly like this as far a Bible memorization to/for me. I have never thought "let me *try* to remember this...what happens is that I read, re-read and The Lord Himself...by his Holy Spirit--hides His Word in my heart.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Think of it like a song you and I may really like...or even a commercial jingle or something...it's hearing it, over and over again that causes me to remember it--and that "automatic" function (memory of it ) just comes...it's not that I put any "effort" into it whatsoever to remember it...to cause it come to my heart and mind at all--it's the continually "hearing" (AKA reading) that causes the memory of it to be recalled.

That said...when my children were very very young...I would have them "remember" scripture by singing verses and "rehearsing" the verses daily until they could repeat them verbatim--a some what "rote" method of teaching. This is 2nd best I humbly believe, to/for adults...because "making myself learn/remember" The Word would simply be robotically remembering (for/to me--BUT everyone is different and what works for me may or maynot work for you or others, of course:flowerforyou: )...where-as if/when we Ask The Holy Spirit to teach us to Hid The Word in our hearts and minds, that we might not sin against Him. When we dare to Trust and Believe that God wants us to know Him via His Word--He does the work in and thru us. We don't even have to try. Like we don't "try" to remember commerical jingles nor our favorite songs. As we listen to them and hear them over and over...the words just come to us. Also...another thing I have always done, that perhaps The Lord has used to teach me His Word personally is to listen to The Word of God at night, as I'm going to sleep. I put the cd on "loop" and His Word plays over and over again as I sleep. I've done this for years and years and years. Listening to The Word/The Bible on tape/cd all thru the night also helps me sleep deeply and gives me good thoughts as I sleep.

Here's two VERY old audio messages-...preached by Charles Spurgeon, that I pray will give you a wee bit more light on this beautiful desire of yours--these messages are about 40 minutes long each and no matter how old you/I are in the Lord...these messages will and have helped me tremendously and I trust they will you too:

How to Read The Bible (from I believe 1870)
    http://www.spurgeongems.org/messages/219chs.mp3

AND

Unbelief (I believe from 1850)
    http://www.spurgeongems.org/messages/007chs.mp3
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Great question. To be honest, my main goal is to read daily and then perhaps try to memorize some verses (other than John 3:16 lol). I think that New makes a good point about reading and God hiding the scripture in your heart. I'm hoping that this will occur in me as I continue to read. I think it's wonderful that you're memorizing verses though! I would love to start that at some point.
  • Erithil
    Erithil Posts: 52
    I have never (that I can remember), took the "effort" to remember or memorize Scripture. Yet, The Word is filled in my heart and mind so much that it comes to me "automatically" if you will. I attribute this to daily reading/studying His Word, "eating/chewing/drinking" it as I call it all the days of my born again life. The Word of God is like "food" to me--food/drink to/for my spirit. Because of this, just like I must eat and drink daily in my natural life to live...it's just exactly like this as far a Bible memorization to/for me. I have never thought "let me *try* to remember this...what happens is that I read, re-read and The Lord Himself...by his Holy Spirit--hides His Word in my heart.

... if/when we Ask The Holy Spirit to teach us to Hid The Word in our hearts and minds, that we might not sin against Him. When we dare to Trust and Believe that God wants us to know Him via His Word--He does the work in and thru us. We don't even have to try. Like we don't "try" to remember commerical jingles nor our favorite songs. As we listen to them and hear them over and over...the words just come to us.

I love that! I've never thought about it that way before, but it makes so much sense. Just a greater encouragement to read ceaselessly. :D
    I did get an audiobible on my iphone recently, but I haven't gotten the chance to listen to it very much. I know if I played it through the night I wouldn't hear my alarm in the morning haha. But I know I will find other opportunities to listen!

And to listen to those messages you gave me. Thank you! (:

Haha John 3:16 was the first verse I ever knew by heart as well, probably some VBS I don't even remember made me memorize it, but I'm glad to know it. (: Also Psalm 23 I somehow memorized, and I love that one as well. Short and beautiful. There are so many verses that I love and I collect them, in notebooks and other places. Someday I hope to know them all by heart

:heart:
  • amina_a10
    amina_a10 Posts: 75 Member
    I am memorizing Phillipians 4:6-7 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. I just finished memorizing Ephesians 6:19-20 (Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should) and want to memorize from Ephesians 6:10 onwards.
  • Fayelle1
    Fayelle1 Posts: 55 Member
    This is amazing...scripture memorization. I do memorize scriptures....I put them in the shower...in plastic sheet covers...and everyday...I'm working on it. I found a journal, that has scriptures on the outside...I though I would put the scriptures in it that I've memorized...and some stickers for fun. http://realfoodenthusiast.com/scripture-memory-system/ Great System for memorizing.