Living the Lifestyle - Wednesday Feb 12th

Options
podkey
podkey Posts: 5,081 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.nn

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday-imastar 2 (Derrick)
Tuesday- myallforjcbill (Bill)
Wednesday- Podkey (Bob)
Thursday-Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Friday-misterhub (Greg)

Topic: How good is "pretty good"? Does that work for you?

Replies

• podkey
    Options
    Previous to WW I was doing what I now know to be my "wishing my weight off" self-proclaimed diet scheme. You know the one. I was "eating healthy" and "being active". the result was I slowly ballooned up to 220 lb slowly, albeit slowly. I needed to follow an actual plan. I have the current plan memorized and do less journaling these days but also not losing some pesky pounds either.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Apparently "pretty good" is not working for me lately. I have pesky pounds to get rid of. I also got my bloodwork back from my recent visit and some of the numbers are out of whack. The nurse tried to tell me that I needed to exercise. Um, yeah, I do go to the gym every day and rode 100 miles on my bike 10 days ago. I'm 99% certain that the wacky number is related to the crap I've been eating. I've got 90 days to clean up my act.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,537 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I am not sure of the context of "pretty good" but I have learned that doing pretty good in health & weight management and doesn't cut it anymore as the years accumulate and health issues arise. There seems to be less wiggle room. This could be mere perception but I find it easier to quietly gain then I do intentionally lose. So as Bob says, I need to follow an actual plan and I need to work it seriously not casually. Doing a pretty good job on plan is not going to get me back to a healthy weight, provide relief for my damaged back and knee. It seems to be almost like a bitter pill to swallow. I'm not sure why.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I think I can apply pretty good since I'm in post pacemaker surgery with aortic valve surgery coming up in the next few weeks. I say that because I'v lost 12.4 lbs since 1/22/20 surgery and 39.3 lbs since 10/4/19 when I began to have shortness of breath issues.

In my history however pretty good hasn't cut it. I have to stick to the plan and track plus concentrate on each meal and stick to my points and kcals. So far so good as I journey on with my heart valve surgery coming.
  • podkey
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Good grief GadgetgirlIL yeah you don't exercise enough! Tchaw! It was true for me that I needed to change my eating not move more. I agree that there is a lot less wiggle room these days unless I want more jiggle in my wiggle!
    I never had to be little mr/ms perfect but I also couldn't just throw caution to the wind. I found while losing on WW that one or maybe up to two times a week I could go beyond my plans and still lose. A fine line for sure.
    Good luck imastar2 with your upcoming heart surgery. We wish you well for sure.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    @myallforjcbill - I agree with you that we have less wiggle room with aging. My inner toddler does not like this one bit.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,938 Member
    Options
    Damn. All you old people whining about not losing weight, because you're doing "pretty good" LOL
    Me too. Been stuck @245 at WW, for well over a year. Guess I've got to start doing GOOD, not PRETTY good. ;)