Living the Lifestyle, Friday 02/14/2020

misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,554 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.nn

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday-imastar 2 (Derrick)
Tuesday- myallforjcbill (Bill)
Wednesday- Podkey (Bob)
Thursday-Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Friday-misterhub (Greg)

Topic: Special Days and Food Choices

Today is Valentines Day. Traditionally, a lot of couples go out to eat on this day and have a "date." Sometimes, they make really bad decisions when it comes to food choices.

My question is: On "special" days, regardless what day that might be (e.g., Oscars, 4th of July, etc...) do you make conscious choices to eat what you know is correct; or, do you throw caution to the wind and figure it'll balance out over the next week or so? Just as importantly, do you feel as if you missed out if you make the more cautious choice? Do you feel guilty after making the more dangerous choice?

Alternate question: What is your favorite fruit and how often do you eat it?

Replies

• myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,699 Member
    I think there may be a middle ground here. You can celebrate special days but eat making conscious choices. The results may add up to an impressive total, but it is a special celebration and not meant to be a daily habit. At a wedding or Bday I am likely to choose to eat some of (or all) of the slice of cake. Sometimes it is more about portion control and making conscious choices and still enjoying the celebration than being "on plan". Not much of a plan if it can't accommodate a certain number of special days.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,598 Member
    edited February 2020
    Special days vary a lot. 4th of July cookout is tough, sausages and burgers on the grill (sometimes tips also), mayo salads, which I usually stay away from, too many tempting desserts, and, of course the beer.
    Tonight is an appetizer of saute'd sea scallops, topped with 1 tsp. of real maple syrup, main of roasted salmon filet, also topped with maple syrup, rice pilaf, and a big salad. Dessert is a wedge of store bought cheese cake, which I'll top with our macerated strawberries and a bit of canned whipped topping. And a bottle of wine.
    Fav fruit is cantaloupe, but it is so hard to get a good one, I don't have it often. Go to fruit is apples 2-4/day, as it hits both the sweet and crunch.
    And all tracked on MFP and WW.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,526 Member
    I don’t consider a lot of days to be special, and I don’t think of the eating aspect as very special. Today isn’t special at our house. Thanksgiving I’m having pumpkin pie. Christmas too. All the other food I can deal with. The pie is off the books. Not many things like that for me.

Fruit- blueberries. A good blueberry was hard to come by in Key West. We pretty much gave up on them. Up north here in the greater Miami area the selection is a lot better. Right now I’m eating them every morning on my oatmeal.
  • hubbardrandy
    hubbardrandy Posts: 14 Member
    Special Days have choices. As long as you are making more healthy choices than bad ones, you can recover from anything. I don’t miss eating like I used to, I just look at the old pictures of me and well I don’t want that. Moderation and choices.

Fruit, well for me it’s more a melon, Cantaloupe and Honey Dew. Great flavors when in season. Have to be aware of the sugar content of most fruits.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    There are so few special days in the year for DH & I that I don't worry about it. I also don't stuff myself like I used to so that helps a lot.

Yesterday was just another day. Longish work day for me. Neither of us likes crowds so we haven't gone out for a Valentine's day meal in a very long time. We will exchange cards tomorrow when I'm less exhausted/stressed. DH has his friends over today. I'm dealing with hopefully finalizing things with a new tenant. Like I said, just another day.

Bonus: I love raspberries when the are in season and reasonably priced. I can eat a whole pint at a time!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,158 Member
    I brought home some nice large shrimp for valentine's day and had that for main course. Had one chocolate truffle for desert. No dinner out. Raspberries are great and we have our own vines. Favorite fruit is probably a great mango.