Body temp and low-carb interesting change

Options
cheryldumais
cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
I lost alot of weight doing low-fat/low-calorie dieting on MFP. I have been in maintenance for 2 or 3 years but the weight started creeping back. So I decided I would cut my carbs as it seems the more I eat the more I want. One of the issues I have found most frustrating since losing weight was the low calorie level I was on because it seemed my metabolism was low. I came to this conclusion because my body temperature was regularly 95.5 to 96.5 farenheit. I went out and bought a new thermometer thinking mine was broken but nothing changed. So I accepted that I just had a slow metabolism (and yes I have low thyroid but am medicated). Since I've been on low carb for the last couple of weeks I have noticed that I am much warmer. Last night I checked and my body temperature was 98 degrees! Is this due to the increased protein I wonder? Has anyone else noticed this?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    When I was doing a lower protein keto, my body temp dropped. For me, I was 96 and some change at every doctor's appt and blood donation for probably 18 months. I never checked at home. I upped my protein, and kept carbs still under 20/day. It has been 98 and some change in the 18 months or so since then.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    that's interesting. I suspected it was the increased protein that changed it. I wonder how long I've been deficient. I always cut back meat to allow for more carbs at my low calorie level. What an interesting change this has been. My weight is finally dropping too which could just be the low carb but it's a welcome change.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Correlation is not causation of course, but I do see a possible pattern. I am pleased with the WOE in general. It seems to suit me very well.