Living the Lifestyle Thursday 20 Feb

Options
Jimb376mfp
Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday-imastar 2 (Derrick)
Tuesday- myallforjcbill (Bill)
Wednesday- Podkey (Bob)
Thursday-Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Friday-misterhub (Greg)

Topic: Have you ever drifted off course from LTL? How long did you drift before making a course correction? What was the most difficult action to change correction?

Replies

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Since my surgery on 1/22 I have drifted off course with no tracking and no official WIs. I have not binged but I know the trend to not track will gain.

I am in Rehabilitation for back surgery so I am not doing my former weekly exercise routine of aqua aerobics, walking the dog and generally getting around in the house, groceries etc.

Getting my priorities is to recovery with mobility and I have used that as an excuse to not track. I keep telling myself I will track when I’m back to my old routine. BUT I may regret when I get on the scale!

I was on Maintenance since May 2018 always below GW (184). Knowing that I may be above GW and having to lose 5-10-? Is a bad place to be at.

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Made goal weight in 1979, stopped going to meetings, and poof! Never discussed LTL at meetings, so didn't think about it. Re-started off and on until 2011. Then got on the rails, drank the Kool Aid, and lost weight, until 2014, and drifted around this weight ever since. Guess it's my "set weight", i.e. the weight I was at most of my adult life (before a sit down job, where I gained 90 pounds, and became a diabetic).
    LTL? How about WIP (Work In Process).
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Have you ever drifted off course from LTL?
    Many times over the last 20 years, seriously drifted 3 times.

How long did you drift before making a course correction?
    Longest was about 3-4 years

What was the most difficult action to change correction?
    Get moving consistently in the disciplines like tracking, weighing/measuring, planning

The old "there is no finish line" is a pretty solid truth
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,936 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Have you ever drifted off course from LTL?

(Oh! yes.)

How long did you drift before making a course correction?

(Usually no longer than a few weeks or certain lb gain. However the last drift this past couple of years eventually cost me about 65 lbs. Got a major medical alert in Oct 2019 at 359.6 experiencing shortness of breath eventually leading to many heart test throughout the last quarter of the year and pacemaker surgery 1/22/20 and now looking at an arotic valve replacement 3/3/20. So during that period I got serious about tracking and eating mindfully dropping off 41 lbs so far and at 318.6 now.)

What was the most difficult action to change correction?

(Since being a member and staying plugged in for so long there wasn't any major earth shattering time or event. More like get back on track and get it done. It was more like ok I was feeling much better with the pacemaker surgery. Heart beat per minute went from 34 to 62-80 now. So feeling really good and alert.

Just ready to move forward to the next phase and get my valve replacement surgery over with.)
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I've been pretty stable since 2012 but am currently creeping up a bit due to work stress. However, in decades before 2012, I had a history of losing a lot of weight, keeping it off no longer than one year and then regaining all of it plus more. It always seemed to take several years for me to get my act together to try again. The most recent significant gain was only ~40 pounds beginning in 2005 and culminating in 2011 when I joined WW at Work. I credit my daily exercise habit that was finally firmly established in 2001 from keeping things from being much worse.

I know I need to reign things in regarding what I'm putting in my mouth as well as get more exercise (I want to exercise more but work is cutting into my free time & energy). I'm just struggling to find the mental energy to do so since trying to cover this new job in addition to my existing one really drains me.

Spring break starts 3 weeks from tomorrow so I'm hoping that completely disconnecting from work for a full week will give me the mental reset I need. I know that biking and hiking will happen during that week!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,177 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've lost 70+ pounds twice and regained it all plus some.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    I have been a bit more stable. I have been hospitalized a couple of times, but I don't gain in hospitals. my weight has varied from a low of about 151 up to 167 or 168 since 2007. I don't track when out of country but can do ok. Being active has helped with maintenance as well as the ftf meetings I think.