C25k Group starting March 2020

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Nice job @SuzieQ136 ! Don’t think about it, just do it! I’ve totally learned that this whole thing is mostly mental not physical.

So I barely got through Week 7. 3 runs of 25 minutes each. Today was W8D1. 28 minute run. Barely got through 25 minutes, so wasn’t sure I could manage it. Just said “screw it” and started it up. 28 minutes later... BOOM! Done!

I think I have another one of those 28’s coming up too. But a few weeks ago when the program said “run 3 minutes” or “run 5 minutes” I thought “no way” but if you just keep going this thing works!

Keep on keeping on everyone!
  • SuzieQ136
    SuzieQ136 Posts: 38 Member
    @briscogun Congrats and thank you for your encouragement! Tomorrow starts week 2. I feel pretty good about.
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    @SuzieQ136 you will do great tomorrow! Can’t wait to hear how it went.
    @briscogun awesome job completing W8D1! I just did W8D2 tonight. Not gonna lie, the last 5 minutes was tough. But I pushed through and I feel great. Much easier to do on treadmill though.

• Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Hi all, first try at the app, starting week 6 tomorrow eeek!
  • CILLAJ8
    @BeccaHawes49 Awesome! Keep us posted. 👏🏻 🏃🏽‍♀️
  • SuzieQ136
    W2D1 complete!!! 🏃🏼‍♀️ Thanks again for all the encouragement! You’re right it is more mental than physical.
    Best,
    Sue
    #stayhealthyandstayoffthecouch
  • Change_is_Good_
    C25K w6d1 done! Felt a bit cocky when I saw the programme, but nope not easy yet :D 2nd best 5k time though. Good set up for the day!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    @briscogun how did the next 28 min run go? Are you on a treadmill or the great outdoors?
    @suzieQ136 W2D2 today? Go Rock it!!!
    @cillaj8 how are you doing?

• briscogun
    @showjumper so... didn't quite nail day 2 like day 1.

I got about 21 1/2 minutes in and just ran out of gas. I woke up a bit later than I wanted and only had a quick cup of coffee, then tried to just go for it and didn't have it. Stopped and walked for about 2 minutes then ran out the last 4 1/2. It's only the second time I haven't been able to complete one of my workouts during the whole program so I'm not beating myself up too bad about it. I did it a few days ago so I know I can do it.

I'll be back after it tomorrow morning and hopefully knock it out.

Good luck to everyone else this week!
  • SuzieQ136
    @showjumper W2D2 complete. 💪 I’ve been having knee pain since my weekend run that got worse after Monday’s run. I was terrified it might sideline me but I started icing it yesterday and it was a bit better today. I should have done it from the get go. I guess that’s why we say nurses make the worst patients. 🤦‍♀️ It definitely hurt today while running. Enough so that I doubted if I should be pushing through or not but I started icing it right when I got home and it’s improved already.

@briscogun I’d say that’s a dang good track record if it’s only the 2nd time. You’ll rock it again on your next run!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Best,
    Sue
    #stayhealthyandstayoffthecouch
  • Change_is_Good_
    @SuzieQ136 I'm 100% no expert, I'm a newbie myself but what sort of shoes are you wearing? I had knee pain and really bad shin splints the first few weeks and my friend made me buy some proper running trainers (I was wearing cheap and cheerful trainers I bought years ago). They did a gait analysis with me running on a treadmill. Bought some that had more support and haven't had a knee twinge since. Might be worth looking at depending on you lockdown situation?
    Also use the rest days, I had to have a break for 3-4 days when my shins were bad as I wasn't resting, was doing extra because I was enjoying it and it got me out the house, but from zero to running daily was not my brightest idea.

Question for anyone, do you eat before you run? I go out first thing in the morning and don't eat before as I'm not a breakfast person, but wondering if it would be better if I did?

Don't know if it's a good or bad thing seeing what the future weeks hold, but I'm loving seeing the progress people are making! Well done everyone! 💪
  • briscogun
    I was going to bring up the same thing @Change_is_Good_ did. I had horrible Runners Knee when I did this the first time. Had to stop running. But I got analyzed for shoes and never looked back. No more knee pain, shin splints, nothing. Best $ I ever spent on my health.

As far as eating, I go back on forth on this. When the program was in the early weeks I’d run on an empty stomach. If I have food in me I just get upset stomach and cramp up. But, now that the runs are longer I have to wake up and eat a little something but then wait and digest some before I go at it. So my answer is: both? It depends on how hard of a workout. Running for almost 30 minutes straight I need some fuel or I’ll crash. But some folks can go forever on no food so whatever works best for you is the right answer. Try both see what happens?

Good luck!

BTW, almost forgot... Nailed W8D2 no sweat today. Probably coulda done the 30 minutes straight but gives me a challenge on Saturday!
  • CILLAJ8
    I finished the program today. (On the treadmill). We’ve had hard rains for the last few days. I went at a nice steady pace and had no issues. I think I’ll stick to 30 minute segments for another week and see if I can increase my speed a little. Then possibly try the 10k app.
  • briscogun
    Congrats @CILLAJ8 ! Great job! I’m hoping to join you soon!

Good luck if you decide to do the 10K plan. I don’t think I’ll ever be that guy but who knows...
  • SuzieQ136
    Well, W2D3 is complete. Just barely and not without a lot of pain but complete none the less.

My neighbor referred me to a Running Store who was open by appointment. The owner was fantastic. I got a very thorough fitting and ended up purchasing a pair of Brooks. I’m very hopeful that these will help heal up my knee/s. Week three, here I come. Hope everyone has a great weekend and keep up the inspiring work!

• Change_is_Good_
    Woohoo @CILLAJ8, well done 🏅 I'm already debating what to do when I finish, similar plan to you at the moment.

@suzieq136 I bet you notice the difference straight away! Let us know.

I'm gearing myself up for w6d3, haven't looked at what it is yet, I try not to look before I leave the house so that I can't make excuses 😂
  • briscogun
    Congrats on the shoes and completing Week 2 @SuzieQ136 ! Running shoes are the best money I ever spent on my fitness. It’ll make a big difference for you!

@Change_is_Good_ good luck finishing Week 6! I’m like you I don’t like looking ahead sometimes either.

So I finished W8D3 today so I guess I graduated? Not sure what I’ll do know, probably just keep running 30 minutes+ until I do a full 3 miles or more. Not interested in going for the 10K program,

Good luck to everyone!
  • SuzieQ136
    @briscogun Congrats! Thank you for being an inspiration! Can’t wait until I can say the same.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Congrats @briscogun !!

@SuzieQ136 have you been out in the new shoes yet?

I tried w7d1, got to about 10min and my legs said no! Got a few little runs in on the way back, but all in all I have discovered I can't run the day after a class full of squats and lunges 🤣
  • briscogun
    @Change_is_Good_ I’ve been there. Some days I just don’t have it and the tank is empty. You just have to realize the body isn’t a machine, it has ups and downs based on sleep, nutrition, hydration, etc, and sometimes you just have to fight the good fight another day.

So I guess I officially graduated this morning with my last run. Not doing the 10K. Doing 30 minutes+ is still a real *kitten* for me! I’ll stay in the shallow end of the running pool for a while... 😉