Women and Running

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
I was going to say something profound about how, when they integrated women into marathons, they put us on the same field as men. And how fabulous that is. So even though the first women is reliably about 6th in the race, there's something amazing about being measured on the same yardstick. Also, about peeing in the bushes and learning how to spit and being able to test yourself physically, which are not traditionally feminine values but we redefine what it means to be a woman when we do them. And the awesomeness of being part of the running traditions and community.

But I think all I'm going to mention is how much I love thumb holes in long sleeves.

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I bought a new winter jacket last year. It had an inner sleeve with thumb holes. It changed my world.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Don't have thumbholes but I have learned how to do a farmer's blow!
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes! To everything! (especially the thumb holes... I'm already in a male dominated field where I literally sometimes have to teach women how to pee in the woods, so I sometimes take that part for granted. Never take the thumb shirts for granted!) :wink:
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I must not be totally liberated yet. I haven't a single article with thumb holes. Gonna have to work on that...
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Oh, but the peeing and the management of snot...I got it down!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I confess I'm an amateur with the snot rocket; need more practice. Lost my thumb-hole shirt to the spouse... blasphemy! I'll need a new one in a bright color that she'll never wear. Now the coolness about women long-distance runners, and how the gap closes the longer the mileage gets, and all that jazz. I'm down with the passion juice that knowledge creates. Totally love it.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I came across this thread even though now I feel a bit stupid!

I didn't know what the holes in the sleeves were for but just assumed it was so you could see your watch .... :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I confess I'm an amateur with the snot rocket; need more practice. Lost my thumb-hole shirt to the spouse... blasphemy! I'll need a new one in a bright color that she'll never wear. Now the coolness about women long-distance runners, and how the gap closes the longer the mileage gets, and all that jazz. I'm down with the passion juice that knowledge creates. Totally love it.

Actually, according to "The Lore of Running" if you look at race times, the difference increases as distance gets longer. We're closest in the sprints. And Lore actually has citations.

What I love, though, is that we're not the WNBA or, even worse, women's hockey. Women are actually widely encouraged to run.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I didn't know what the holes in the sleeves were for but just assumed it was so you could see your watch .... :laugh:

Thanks for making me smile :D
  • likitisplit
    Options

THIS is why we need this group.