Hip stretch help!

Options
helenium
helenium Posts: 546 Member
Please help me, bendy people!

I'm getting generally more flexible but I'm really struggling with the flexibility of my hip when sticking my leg back behind me (like in a split). I basically can't seem to stick my leg out behind me from my hip. Instead all the flexibility comes from my back. This is stopping me from getting the splits. I don't know how to isolate just my hip to stretch it without bringing my back into it.

back_hip.png

~~ Apologies, I am not naked in that photo, it's just my costume!! ~~

As you can see the leg in the air doesn't bend at the hip, the only reason it's up there is because my back bends to compensate. Does anyone know any stretches I can do which just isolates my ability to bend at the hip without bringing my back into it?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• foodcart
    foodcart Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've had decent results from doing a hip flexor lunge stretch like the one at http://www.fitsugar.com/Stretch-Hip-Flexor-Lunge-766938. I need to do it more often though!! Good luck!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've been trying that but not entirely sure whether it's really helping. It probably is because I feel the stretch there, I just don't seem to be making any progress with the angle I can make.
  • foodcart
    foodcart Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi hear ya! I have to say I hate stretching and have to force myself to do it -- and I'm totally inflexible. My instructor has us put our thumb in the crease of our but cheek to help us push our hips forward to get more of a stretch. I only can see a difference if I am really dedicated to stretching every day. When I don't stretch, I find my progress slips back a lot. Foam rolling has also helped me. Good luck!
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ugh I have the same problem! I wish I could help but I agree with regular stretching being the only way I ever feel any improvement. You're not alone! :flowerforyou:
  • Rokoye83
    Rokoye83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pigeon pose is great for stretching the hip flexors!

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7339/how-to-do-pigeon-pose-the-right-way.html