Deaths in the Family and Comfort Eating

Options
My uncle died on Easter Sunday, and I had to put one of my dogs down yesterday. All I want to do is eat, binge watch Netflix, and sleep.

My uncle died of kidney failure, and because of social distancing only 7 people were allowed to go to the funeral. Most of us watched it via live-streaming. They plan on having a memorial service once the pandemic is over.

My dog was 14, and we'd had him almost his entire life. As a backstory, when the movie Ice Age came out I fell in love with the character Diego (the sabre-toothed tiger). I'd told my boys the next time we got a dog I wanted to name him after him. Fast forward about 4 years, and my ex offered us a puppy. Someone had thrown it away at a construction site and he'd followed my ex husband around all day. He took him to his house first, and his son there named him Diego, but then they decided they wanted to give him to us. When I learned what his name was I said yes. I took it as a sign, and I never regretted taking him in. Is it bad I and my sons are more broke up about the dog?

I plucked mulberries off my tree and made cobbler--that was gone in 2 days (not all by me, I have my 2 sons in the house). Last night I found a bag of opened chocolate chips in the freezer, ate what was left. This morning I got more mulberries and made pancakes. Those went pretty fast, too. When I'm depressed I want to eat sweet foods (when I'm bored I tend to want either salty or sweet...or salty-sweet!). Last time I went shopping I got popcorn, thinking at least that was a low calorie snack--then when I got home I sprinkled sugar on the first bag I opened -.-

I don't know what to do with myself.

Replies

• mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    So very sorry for the lose of your uncle and beloved Diego..

As for what to do with yourself wish I had the answer but still working on that one myself..just try your best hour to hour to stay the course ..
  • GrumpySparkles
    GrumpySparkles Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    LOL now you have me craving pancakes! and mulberrieis and I never had mulberries.. :-)
  • FitSeachely
    FitSeachely Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's ok to grieve, it's ok to want to eat food that will numb you but most of all, it's ok to just be sad and be in that moment. Drink lots of water. Go for a walk. Take in deep breaths. Everything will be ok.
  • GrumpySparkles
    Options
    Thanks, guys. And mulberries taste similar to blackberries.
  • GrumpySparkles
    Options
    I had to put my horse down this morning. I've been stuffing my face with chocolate banana bread.
  • SuzieQ136
    SuzieQ136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @GrumpySparkles I’m so sorry for the loss you had to endure. I see something positive in your posts though too so thought I would share that. I see a person who’s suffering however, I also see someone who is in touch with herself. You seem to recognize some of what triggers you and that in itself gives you an upper hand when you decide you’re ready to tackle this weight and wellness journey. Keep your chin up and reach out if there’s anything I can help you with.
    Best,
    Sue
  • GrumpySparkles
    Options
    Thank you.