Intermittent fasting on keto

Options
2»

Replies

• eldinewilson275
    eldinewilson275 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm just returning to the App after a few years break. I did Atkins for years and felt great but then fell ill with Lyme disease. All ok now but did put on some weight and trying to get it off again. I do IF 16:8 daily and now trying to get back on to Atkins but have seen a lot about KETO - what's the difference??? Also how to do you track net carbs on the app or do you just deduct the fibre column from the carb column??
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm just returning to the App after a few years break. I did Atkins for years and felt great but then fell ill with Lyme disease. All ok now but did put on some weight and trying to get it off again. I do IF 16:8 daily and now trying to get back on to Atkins but have seen a lot about KETO - what's the difference??? Also how to do you track net carbs on the app or do you just deduct the fibre column from the carb column??

Keto is more concerned with getting into ketosis and staying there. There is no carb ladder, you just keep them low enough to stay in ketosis forever. Both may achieve ketosis (depending on the version of Atkins you use), but Atkins just cares about carbs being low and about specific food eliminations for awhile. On mainstream keto you can technically just eat anything as long as whatever those carbs are they are under your carb limit and you keep your calories right. There are as many versions of keto as people decide to invent: reg keto, high fat keto, whole foods/paleo keto, vegan keto.... Some people call regular keto "dirty keto" b/c they aren't fussed with keeping anything natural. There's lazy keto where you aren't paying as much attention to numbers...

So some Atkins is keto, but not all keto is Atkins, if you take my meaning.
    HTH.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    @eldinewilson275
    Oh! Forgot!
    There is no "net carbs" function on MFP. Just fiddle with your settings so that carbs and fibre are beside one another and subtract.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Basically, I see the Induction phase of old Atkins as equal to keto (25 grams carbs or less per day). As many of us gain when we add back in carbs, we stick to induction indefinitely until ready to shift to a maintenance level of carbs.