This May I Will...

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
bkp6ebmubnoh.jpg

It's hard to believe it's a brand new month! What healthy habit would you like to create or keep working on this May?

Are you new to our group? If so, welcome! Please post what you will be working on and how we can help! And just a suggestion: set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on!

If it's helpful to you, you might frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This May I will...")
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.)
6. What help do you need from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of May?

Replies

• themedalist
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My neck and back have really been hurting lately and I know it's because of all the time I'm spending at my computer. My home office isn't ergonomically correct and I need to work on that this month. In addition to the increased work hours, I've volunteered to do my elderly neighbor's grocery shopping and the partial shopping for another elderly friend. I'm only doing online grocery shopping now and that adds to the computer time.

This May I will prioritize good posture, especially when using my laptop
    Small actions: Research correct ergonomic computer positioning and make needed changes. Identify exercises I can do throughout the day to reduce/eliminate neck strain. Stand up and shift every 25 min.
    Trigger or cue: The computer is the visual trigger. I can't miss it.
    How often: Throughout the day
    Reward: Hope to be pain free by June 1
    What help do you need from us? Any exercises or computer accessories that you recommend would be great!
    What does success look like to you at the end of May? My neck and back don't hurt anymore and I don't need Advil at night to sleep.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    So sorry your neck is hurting. I really hope you find a way to heal @themedalist . I am suffering from more joint pain since this pandemic started so I too am looking for ways to get better.

1. This May I will: continue to move around more and focus on healing my mind and body.

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: eating better, continue to exercise, listen to my courses, reading, less bad news on social media, more good news. Continue to do small projects around the house.

3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: Routine. Make sure I continue to establish and follow it. My journal next to my bed.

4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Everyday

5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Feel better mentally and physically.

6. What help do you need from us? Support, cheers and sharing.

7. What does success look like to you at the end of May? Feeling better, staying healthy, focused, happy during this time.

Thanks friends.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I’m so happy to see your post! I missed you! I love your Apri/May calendar! Did you paint it yourself? Watercolors? Pretty! 💜
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    @themedalist , try Qigong! I’m struggling with the same neck a shoulder problems. @PinkyPan1 recommended it here probably years ago.

https://youtu.be/Ac08kMK-dyI
    https://youtu.be/o9kvYnWKG3g
  • 77tes
    Options
    Since the lockdown, I haven’t been doing my strength training at Curves three times per week. I’ve been walking and doing yoga daily, but no strength. So this month I’ll be working on doing a strength workout at least 2 times per week.

1.My goal for this month is to do 2 or more strength workouts per week.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal is to carve out a time to do the workout
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - after going to the park on Tuesday and Friday, I’ll take out my dumbbells.
    4. How often will you do your new habit at least twice per week.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? A mark on my habit tracker
    6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of May? At least 8 strength workouts done, but more importantly, I will have reestablished a habit that important to my big goal of functional aging.

I hadn’t planned on this goal when I made my habit tracker, so I’ll have to figure how to mark it.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @themedalist, I was also sorry to read about your neck and back pain.

And also @prgirl39mfp, because of your increased joint pain. Hugs to both of you 💖 .

@balhoff I like your exercise plan!

@PackerFanInGB, I'm glad that you are back. You have a lot of fun things on your idea list during this time at home. I was happy to read that the anxiety and fear of unknown is gone for you now. You do sound very positive!!

@MadisonMolly2017, I really liked the flowers and habit tracker that you shared with us in April! And of course your new tracker for May. I love how colorful and beautiful it is. You are very artistic! The kitty in the pic of your tracker is a cutie pie 💝.

@77tes, I just have to tell you that I liked your April Tracker, the adorable Easter baskets you prepared for your daughters, and picture of the daily doggie walk in your historical costumes on Easter. You look like your are enjoying yourself immensely. Now that is what I call the perfect Easter 'bonnet' and Easter dress for online church. I remained in my jammies for online church service :laugh: .
    Great plan to be working on doing a strength workout at least 2 times per week while you aren't able to go to Curves.

I've been for the most part MIA in April also, again :grumble: .Even though I said I was going to post in April.
    As I wrote in April "I've had some pretty rough months lately because of sudden discovery of a health problem, which caused severe pains in my left ankle 🦶 that has made it quite difficult to exercise or get around much. (sitting more/ standing less 😢☹)."

The pain is less, most likely because I'm doing activity that doesn't require focused or sustained walking. But it does let me know when I over do it. Sadly, that still means a lot of sitting compared to what I used to not do. My right ankle is trying to join in on the pain/ instability situation too. I've focused on working in the garden/ yards/ porch plants as much as possible most days to get exercise/ movement in. We had some good rain in early April but none to speak of since. So that, coupled to a very recent unseasonable (although not unheard of around here) high temperatures this Spring, sometimes getting close to triple digits, have made the last few days even more challenging. But the mornings are cool enough to get outside to work. I'm awaiting a phone call from the air conditioner company. I should have thought about calling them earlier in the month, but that thought came... and went away just as quickly :noway: .

As I also wrote in early April "I really do need to get back to posting again because I do miss and need the support of you all. Historically I tend to withdraw when things get difficult for me but, especially now, with the addition of the isolation because of the pandemic, this is when I should be posting instead of withdrawing. We all need the support of each another. So, I'm baaaack 🙋‍♀️." But I failed to do this in April 😥.

So showing up here, and on the the walk group that I am in, and posting more often will be my main habit to get back to this May. This is too important not to do.

My secondary habit will be another one from April. That is the almost daily paper decluttering sessions. (this month the new goal will be for 5 times a week, for at least 15 minutes). Lasts month I accomplished doing 11 sessions!

I will post on the habits later on and figure out how to track.

I need to make hubby supper so I'm closing for now.

Hugs y'all

🤠🌺
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    @texasgardnr so happy to see you here. Sorry about you ankle and all you dealings with not being able to join. Withdrawing when things get difficult is not uncommon. You did what you needed to do. Good thing is that you are back and ready to rumble. That's what matters.

So far I have been busy watering my new sod, and getting my lanai and back yard ready for Summer. Well, I am hopeful. At least I have a back yard I can enjoy. Next week my dentist and eye doctor will resume service and I am very happy about that. I need some sort of normalcy.

Have not been able to exercise because I am still sore from yard work, but I am averaging 6000 plus steps per day. Today I went out 3 times, yes, we are supposed to stay home but I wanted to enjoy the fresh air, windy sunny day. I am glad I did. Took my oldest out with me. She's been furloughed and mentally is affecting her.

I am listening to a course called Getting Over Overeating. So far do good. I hope it helps me determine the root of my emotional eating and how to heal. I listen to it on Insight Timer.

Mentally I am doing ok. Since I am working on the yard, plan to soft wash the roof, and add more sod to the front yard, I have something to look forward to. I am also working on a meal plan vision board. I am gaining weight so I need to get back on track.

Thanks for the support and stay safe!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @balhoff , welcome to the group, your goal for the month sounds like a great one. Those workouts are a great way to take care of yourself.

@texasgardnr , there are lots of chair workouts if your ankle is making standing difficult. I hope you are soon feeling better.

@prgirl39mfp , I’ll bet your yard is looking great!

May - first week

I decided to dedicate the month to strength, both physical, of course, but also mental/emotional/spiritual strength. I’m adding a bead around the inside circle of my habit tracker to represent each strength training workout. I think I’ll ask my daughters to loan me some of their sparkly ink for each of the beads.

So far my habits goal are doing well. I plan a second strength workout for tomorrow, and so far my daughters have joined me for my workouts. That’s made then a lot more fun. I’ve actually been sewing daily. I pulled out a UFO (unfinished object), and am making a pair of 1940s inspired slacks. I’ve actually never made pants before.

oyoz4yyznul6.jpeg
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Beautiful chart @77tes
  • balhoff
    balhoff Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp love the idea of a meal plan vision board
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    This is what I did. Nothing fancy but something to look at Daily! The menu is simple and I want to use the same ingredients at least a couple of weeks to see some goals met.
  • balhoff
    balhoff Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp thanks for sharing
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp I love your vision boards. Sometimes simple is better. I spend more time planning than doing because it’s way more fun🙄 Thanks for sharing.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Thanks friends.
  • themedalist
    edited May 2020
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @themedalist , try Qigong! I’m struggling with the same neck a shoulder problems. @PinkyPan1 recommended it here probably years ago.

https://youtu.be/Ac08kMK-dyI
    https://youtu.be/o9kvYnWKG3g

Thank you for this, @77tes! This definitely helps. I traced my neck and shoulder pain to the fact that my mouse was too far away from me and I was keeping my arm in an extended position for much too long. Since I’ve moved the mouse closer and I am being more careful to not rest my hand on the mouse unless I need to use it, the pain is better. I’m trying to stay away from the computer during the weekends. That will help too.
  • themedalist
    Options
    @texasgardnr, what you said:
    As I also wrote in early April "I really do need to get back to posting again because I do miss and need the support of you all. Historically I tend to withdraw when things get difficult for me but, especially now, with the addition of the isolation because of the pandemic, this is when I should be posting instead of withdrawing. We all need the support of each another. So, I'm baaaack 🙋‍♀️." But I failed to do this in April 😥.

So showing up here, and on the the walk group that I am in, and posting more often will be my main habit to get back to this May. This is too important not to do.

Sums up very well how I felt in April and how I want May to be be different. I really love our group and I’ve missed everyone! Now more than ever, since our lives have been completely upended, I need the habits and routines that are familiar and ground me. I need our group! I’ll probably only be checking in on the weekends, but I will be here!