Break a sweat & brag about it!

Options
Steph_135
Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
This is a spot to post about your workouts.
  • What did you do?
  • What was successful?
  • What did you rock at?
  • What's your goal for next time?

Replies

• Steph_135
    Options
    Today, I went on 2 mini walks of about 15 mins each, lifted weights for an hour, and then added additional glutes and abs workout on top of it.

It's more than I usually do, but I was feeling inspired. I always want to do more once I start!
  • H2596
    H2596 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    @Steph_135
    You sound like me. We’ll have to keep each other enthused as time passes.

I’ve tried lots of different exercises and done well on them I just never stick at them after a few months. One thing I can’t stop is walking (even during a pandemic) but it’s the number of steps I achieve each day I need to improve and maintain.

Have you tried New Rules of Lifting For Women or Stronglifts 5x5? I was amazed how much I could lift following the programmes but preferred Stronglifts as it was hard work but simple to follow. NROLFW was too much switching between exercises for me.
  • Steph_135
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @H2596 Hey! YES! I tried NROLFW but I didn't really commit to it. It was at the same time as I was working out with my trainer, and it was too much for me to keep sorted out. It's still on my shelf. I would love to take another look at it.

Right now, I'm subscribed to MegSquats' Strong Strong Friends lifting program. She posts a different workout plan each week. I don't follow it that often... When I workout, I get impatient when other steps are involved, like reading about proper form, or what a move is... At least with Meg, you can watch a quick video of her doing the move. She includes home and body weight moves now too, which is pretty cool.

I checked out Stronglifts at once time too, but didn't take action. :sweat_smile: I've also purchased many small programs over the years from several people, from weights to body weight programs. I need a variety to keep me inspired.

I always say, I literally have EVERYTHING I need to be successful - the tools! I just need the commitment and perseverance. The time is now - no time like the present!

My goal for the past year has been to buy a bench. My friend/housemate is kind of into lifting too, and we were were talking about getting one, as well as a barbell to add to our basement gym. I think it's about time! :wink: I'd also like a flip tire one day... My slam ball is one of my favorite pieces of equipment. :lol:
  • H2596
    Options
    @Steph_135
    I’ll have to have a look at Megsquats - sounds interesting. I did have a barbell and quite a few weights but my other half sold them when I’d stopped using them (a dreadful habit of mine!). I never managed to get a bench but would have been tempted if I’d had the room. If I’d lost the pounds as well as the £s I’d be svelte!

• H2596
    Options
    Well I have started well with my activity. Completed 10,000 steps and 10 minutes of cardio indoors.

I’ve also bought some cycling shorts (for under my clothes as no one needs to see that!) and will be out for a bike ride tomorrow. 🤞
  • Zella132
    Zella132 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This past weekend, I spent both days cleaning, clearing, rearranging everything in the garage and tossing heavy bags of garbage. This includes taking everything off shelving units, moving the shelving units and putting what was left back on the shelves. Lots of bending squatting and lifting. Also, moving stacks of tile up some stairs into the house. (Who knew tile was so heavy?) Doing this while carrying extra body weight made for some tired leg days! The garage is now mega organized and looks great. :)
  • Steph_135
    Options
    @H2596 Great job with the steps!! :grin: And the shorts!! I hope you get to go biking like you planned! My bike didn't get used at all last year. I'm averse to biking on the road, which must be done to get to the trail... I was thinking that now, with the lack of cars on the road, it would be a good opportunity to take it out for a spin again.

@Zella132 WAY TO GO on that cleaning. I think clearing the physical clutter can have a huge effect on well-being! I could also use another good clearing of all my STUFF that I haven't touched in over a year. I was inspired after I read The Japanese Art of Tidying Up. But I only got through my clothes. :lol: She says to sort clothes first, then books second, and i just have WAY too many books! :sweat_smile:
  • H2596
    Options
    @steph_135
    The dreaded wardrobe clearance. I haven’t looked in at least one wardrobe for months as I’m frightened to see what I can’t fit into.

@Zella132
    Fantastic work. Well done on all that hard work.

I did get out for a short bike ride (taking it easy on a first outing) and plan to go again tomorrow. I’m right by a cycle path so have no excuses. Definitely go out whilst the roads are quieter if you can Steph. Good luck with the plan guys.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Thanks Lori! I'll let you know if I hit the bike anytime soon. :)
  • H2596
    Options
    Feeling quite proud of myself today. Been into the city (60 minutes walk there and back) followed by a bike ride (30 minutes). I’m kicking myself I didn’t buy cycle shorts sooner. They’re not the most flattering items in my wardrobe but what a difference! 👍. I’ve had a female gel cycle seat for years but I found it so uncomfortable (probably the size of my backside that’s been the problem 😱). With a long top I’d be tempted to cycle into the city or around the neighbourhood rather than just on the cycle path. Watch out!
  • Zella132
    Zella132 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Steph_135 wrote: »
    @Zella132 WAY TO GO on that cleaning. I think clearing the physical clutter can have a huge effect on well-being! I could also use another good clearing of all my STUFF that I haven't touched in over a year. I was inspired after I read The Japanese Art of Tidying Up. But I only got through my clothes. :lol: She says to sort clothes first, then books second, and i just have WAY too many books! :sweat_smile:

Marie Kondo's question "Does it bring me joy?" continually helps me to make decisions with "keep" or "toss/donate."
  • H2596
    Options
    OMG 😮 my new “cycling shorts” are actually cycling knickers - I clearly didn’t read the label properly.

The neighbourhood will be just as pleased as I am that I wore them under leggings. Can you imagine? I’d never live it down.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    😂 @H2596 Lori, I wouldn't know the difference! I'm glad you figured it out, though! Close one...
  • Steph_135
    Options
    The past couple days I spent some time putting together a workout "hybrid" calendar combining several workout DVDs I have: Chalean Extreme, TurboFire, and Piyo (all with Chalene Johnson).

I finally came up with something that I think will work, and had a great cardio workout today. The DVDs are, respectively: strength training, cardio, and a pilates/yoga approach (I am excited to finally crack open the Piyo DVD, since I've used it yet!
  • H2596
    Options
    Its so hard finding something you actually want to do but when you do it’s brilliant. Well done and keep up the good work.

I saw someone mention an exercise plan and looked it up. The model is my son’s age! Anyway I had a bash of one of her 15 minute dance classes which was good fun as well as hard work. She doesn’t actually teach but just does the moves so it’s very fast moving (well she is!). I catch up.

• Steph_135
    Options
    That's great, @H2596 ! I love dance workouts! I've done so much Zumba, it's so fun to just follow along with a good dance leader.

I signed up for Steezy dance classes back in March, and was really into it. Before things shut down, I was taking a hip hop dance class, so after, I joined Steezy in hopes of keeping up with practice. The instruction and tools are really great, but a lot of the choreos are pretty advanced.

I've purchased so many programs and memberships over the years... :blush: Always looking for something new to try!

If things hadn't shut down, my friend and I were going to try going to a climbing gym next.
  • H2596
    Options
    @Steph_135
    Me too. I must have tried more different types of exercise classes (online, video, face to face, etc) than I’ve had hot dinners! I enjoy most of them when I start out but get bored very easily and find excuses not to bother.

I’m off this week so have been back out on my bike. I cycled for 30 minutes straight without stopping (admittedly it’s mostly a flat route!) and am definitely bragging about it! I also walked about 12,000 steps separately too.

If I can keep out of the fridge I’ll be pleased!
  • H2596
    Options
    I meant to say well done on keeping things up. I’ll have to look up Steezy as I’ve never heard of it.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Nice @H2596 !! WAY TO ROLL! :smiley:

I've been keeping up with CLX/TF/Piyo schedule, but I took a day to rest today, and just went for a walk instead. My shoulder has been bugging me for about a month. Normally, I would complain to the chiropractor about all my aches and she would fix me up, but since I haven't been to her since February (I usually go every 5-6 weeks), it hasn't gone away on it's own yet. I am trying rubbing in castor oil in hopes it's just inflammation. At least my back has been behaving! So much walking - no time for the back to get cranky. :lol: I will get back to my scheduled workouts tomorrow.

I feel like I haven't been posting much lately, but I hope everyone is still enthused and on track!! :heart:

I am in the process of packing and moving residences, so my messages may be sparser than usual.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I got back into lifting weights on Tuesday. I was sore until this morning, so I knew it was time to get in another workout. My lifting session today was intense, but I figure it's best to just power through it now, be sore for several more days, and then keep pushing myself from there. :lol: