Hashimoto with elimination diet - motivational group- sharing info

Options
100toloose
100toloose Posts: 151 Member
Hi everyone,
I need a good group of people who can be by my side and I can be a support system to with Hypothyroidism and hashimoto disease.
My biggest issue that I don't lose weight. I eliminated GLUTEN- I miss bread so badly and sugar and dairy and only lost 7pounds the first week and since then 0. Now I'm on week 4.... So any suggestion would be appreciated.. Thyro peeps lest unite 🐥

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Being Hypo and having hashi can be very personal thing, especially in the way we respond to the range of "Possible" solutions, one site gives 300 different symptoms for this "supposedly" simple thing. Most medical systems don't recognise the bonus reducing the antibodies can achieve and still insist treating hashi and simple Hypo exactly the same which is why there is a reluctance to test for antibodies. They perceive no benefit of knowing. Regretably there is no one size fits all to this thing.

I wonder if you are on synthetic Levo or similar or on some glandular preperation it can really make a difference. Pardon me if i assume you are in the US, some of us are not. It is impossible to have glandular products in Europe and other places unless you can afford to go outside the regular medical system. STTM the website has information about the ways some, possibly many do not absorb/take the synthetic well, its down to how one's body works. Some of us have difficulty in making the conversion t4 to t3, it can be genetic or dietry, not having the full range of vitamins and minerals which help making the conversion. For some of us who have taken many cycles of antibiotics our digestive biome will be depleated permitting many least helpful microbes proliferat. So Its a complicated condition if you scratch the surface. The system area I am under, UK, disregards any possible conversion issues only permitting t4 suplimentation.

Something else many medical systems decry is the effect other endocrine glands can have on someone's system. Something called the HPA axis is vital for a well balanced system. Our thyroid gland works at the behest of several of the glands meaning if they are working more or less than a person needs the thyroid gland reacts to work more or less to compensate. Achieving balance in this area is beneficial to those who have stubbon symptoms.

In my view there is so much more to look into before you come to the much vaunted exclusions. I note you do not mention crusiferous vegetables nor soy. Soy can be every bit as difficult for a digestive system as any of the other culprets. One thing never suggested is we do not all develope reactions to the same group usually proteins in my experience.

Trying to achieve an elimination with pre-prepared foods is nigh on impossible most factories have the conventional culprets side by side in their facilities and they are not obliged to say so. With that caviat it can take 3 months to achieve any signs of relief from glutein though there are memebers of the population for whom it can take a full year, with each and every subsequent accident they are taken back to square one! Not all flour contain Glutein, I can't remember which, it might not be essential for you to forgo bread for ever. One thing to consider is when grain is ground in a facility which grinds wheat then glutein can be in the air and the workings. Oats should be glutein free but because they are often processed in contaminated facilities they are.

Looking at dairy. We have all heard of Lactose, sugar intolerance but how many have heard of casein, protein intolerance? There are 4 types of casein, commonly 1-4. Normal milk be it full fat or skimmed is dominant type 4 with shades of 2, 3, and 4. Goat milk is dominant type 2 with shades of 1, 3, and 4 making it more digestible. Sheep milk, and what we call Gurnsey milk are type 2 dominant. i did read bovine, cows need to be tested to ensure their casine status. For some who are lactose intolerant t2 dominance dairy can make a fundimental difference to their lactose reactions. Someof us can feel benefits of elimination within hours others it takes weeks or months.

Along with Hashi there are many other dietary intolerances one can come up against. Because of the differrent implications being low t3 can have on our system, slowing/speeding the digestion/elimination/transit, the different reactions can reduce the absorpbtion of vitamins, minerals and things. You could benefit from introducing digestive microbes there are many on the market, some increase hisamine, vits b6 & C form dao histamineaise which naturally eliminates excess. Some find digestive enzymes can help, it is possible to have testing to discover deficiencies in enzymes. Many of us are lacking in digestive acid, the start of our digestion in our saliva for starters. Most of us have an issues of too little rather than too much acid. I found introducing lemon juice, half a lemon squeesed into water before breakfast very helpful. Ensuring you have foods which can be considered "bitter" in your diet help to increase your acid levels. Ultimately all our food should be refined to the finest molicules to pass between the external and external interface. Hashi most often causes the lining to become less tight in its junctions which can then permit larger particles of food across. All this can reduce the bodies ability to make digestive enzymes. Forinstance Vitamin B12 needs a specific enzyme to ensure it reaches the specific point in the digestive tract to become absorbed, b 12 is something we are commonly defficient in. This is yet another generalisation which we have to work our way through. I recently discovered omega 3, zinc and a balanced HPA axcis puts Salicylate Sensitivity in better order

I'm so sorry you have joined the masses who have Hashi. Your recovery will be achieved by addressing your personal symptoms achieving the best treatment for yourself. Remember, Always do what is right for you, with 300 and more symptoms its impossible for every suggestion to be right for each and everyone of us because we have our own personal idiosyncracys. If you need, please read medical papers and different medics on line trace the common denominators within their texts doing what is right for you all the time. There are some really good webb sites too, Please be mindful of "someone's" blog, at least look for the same infornation being replicated in more than one other place. This means Please do your own research, double check what i have written too,

All the very best and take great care.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have Hashimotos with hypothyroidism. My endocrinologist suggested a gluten free diet, eating low carb and following intermittent fasting. She seems to think that if my medication is correct and my labs are in the right ranges and my symptoms have improved the weight should start falling off. She’s giving me 6 more months and I guess we’ll see what happens. Over the course of the year and a half I’ve managed to lose and keep off about 25 pounds, what is easy for some is hard for me. It’s not as simple as just eating low calorie and staying away from sweets and baked goods and exercising. It took incredible dedication to my diet in order to lose that 20-25 pounds. Abs are made in the kitchen so they say, I exercise for stress relief. I’ve made so many lifestyle changes in the past year it’s hard to believe I still experience weeks of plateaus. I will finally break the plateau and then the next day my weight is back up. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    so yeah, we can struggle and persevere together!!! It’s a lifelong journey 🤚(high five)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 20-25 lbs lost. I see red lights when I hear or read the term "right/normal range", bless you, you need "normal for you", which could be higher, though for some lower. t3's were in your labs? If not they only know a fraction of your personal picture which may account for your long hard struggle. Some of us have issues converting t4 to 3's. I hope so very much you get there.

Have your antibodies been tested to be low now? Otherwise they could be driven by something other than glutein, mine were in part down to casein not the lactose everone shouts about. If not you could ask to have allergy/intolernace testing done.

One thing which has helped me feel better has been introducing some progestrone in over the counter form. I've no idea of anyone's personal combinations of symptoms they can be so many and varied but its certainy helping me.

All the best to you both.

• 100toloose
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Being Hypo and having hashi can be very personal thing, especially in the way we respond to the range of "Possible" solutions, one site gives 300 different symptoms for this "supposedly" simple thing. Most medical systems don't recognise the bonus reducing the antibodies can achieve and still insist treating hashi and simple Hypo exactly the same which is why there is a reluctance to test for antibodies. They perceive no benefit of knowing. Regretably there is no one size fits all to this thing.

I wonder if you are on synthetic Levo or similar or on some glandular preperation it can really make a difference. Pardon me if i assume you are in the US, some of us are not. It is impossible to have glandular products in Europe and other places unless you can afford to go outside the regular medical system. STTM the website has information about the ways some, possibly many do not absorb/take the synthetic well, its down to how one's body works. Some of us have difficulty in making the conversion t4 to t3, it can be genetic or dietry, not having the full range of vitamins and minerals which help making the conversion. For some of us who have taken many cycles of antibiotics our digestive biome will be depleated permitting many least helpful microbes proliferat. So Its a complicated condition if you scratch the surface. The system area I am under, UK, disregards any possible conversion issues only permitting t4 suplimentation.

Something else many medical systems decry is the effect other endocrine glands can have on someone's system. Something called the HPA axis is vital for a well balanced system. Our thyroid gland works at the behest of several of the glands meaning if they are working more or less than a person needs the thyroid gland reacts to work more or less to compensate. Achieving balance in this area is beneficial to those who have stubbon symptoms.

In my view there is so much more to look into before you come to the much vaunted exclusions. I note you do not mention crusiferous vegetables nor soy. Soy can be every bit as difficult for a digestive system as any of the other culprets. One thing never suggested is we do not all develope reactions to the same group usually proteins in my experience.

Trying to achieve an elimination with pre-prepared foods is nigh on impossible most factories have the conventional culprets side by side in their facilities and they are not obliged to say so. With that caviat it can take 3 months to achieve any signs of relief from glutein though there are memebers of the population for whom it can take a full year, with each and every subsequent accident they are taken back to square one! Not all flour contain Glutein, I can't remember which, it might not be essential for you to forgo bread for ever. One thing to consider is when grain is ground in a facility which grinds wheat then glutein can be in the air and the workings. Oats should be glutein free but because they are often processed in contaminated facilities they are.

Looking at dairy. We have all heard of Lactose, sugar intolerance but how many have heard of casein, protein intolerance? There are 4 types of casein, commonly 1-4. Normal milk be it full fat or skimmed is dominant type 4 with shades of 2, 3, and 4. Goat milk is dominant type 2 with shades of 1, 3, and 4 making it more digestible. Sheep milk, and what we call Gurnsey milk are type 2 dominant. i did read bovine, cows need to be tested to ensure their casine status. For some who are lactose intolerant t2 dominance dairy can make a fundimental difference to their lactose reactions. Someof us can feel benefits of elimination within hours others it takes weeks or months.

Along with Hashi there are many other dietary intolerances one can come up against. Because of the differrent implications being low t3 can have on our system, slowing/speeding the digestion/elimination/transit, the different reactions can reduce the absorpbtion of vitamins, minerals and things. You could benefit from introducing digestive microbes there are many on the market, some increase hisamine, vits b6 & C form dao histamineaise which naturally eliminates excess. Some find digestive enzymes can help, it is possible to have testing to discover deficiencies in enzymes. Many of us are lacking in digestive acid, the start of our digestion in our saliva for starters. Most of us have an issues of too little rather than too much acid. I found introducing lemon juice, half a lemon squeesed into water before breakfast very helpful. Ensuring you have foods which can be considered "bitter" in your diet help to increase your acid levels. Ultimately all our food should be refined to the finest molicules to pass between the external and external interface. Hashi most often causes the lining to become less tight in its junctions which can then permit larger particles of food across. All this can reduce the bodies ability to make digestive enzymes. Forinstance Vitamin B12 needs a specific enzyme to ensure it reaches the specific point in the digestive tract to become absorbed, b 12 is something we are commonly defficient in. This is yet another generalisation which we have to work our way through. I recently discovered omega 3, zinc and a balanced HPA axcis puts Salicylate Sensitivity in better order

I'm so sorry you have joined the masses who have Hashi. Your recovery will be achieved by addressing your personal symptoms achieving the best treatment for yourself. Remember, Always do what is right for you, with 300 and more symptoms its impossible for every suggestion to be right for each and everyone of us because we have our own personal idiosyncracys. If you need, please read medical papers and different medics on line trace the common denominators within their texts doing what is right for you all the time. There are some really good webb sites too, Please be mindful of "someone's" blog, at least look for the same infornation being replicated in more than one other place. This means Please do your own research, double check what i have written too,

All the very best and take great care.

Thank you so much. This is so much details I literally had to take notes...I really appreciate your time!
  • 100toloose
    Options
    Also to @Fuzzipeg I did eliminate coniferous veggies but added back slowly as I have no reaction.Also eating it in small portions.Soy is completely out of my diet. Dairy .. I did eliminate and brought it back occasionally. No reaction either. I only eat sour cream very small portion again. I have been researching and I think slowly I figuring this out.
  • 100toloose
    Options
    @ herblovinmom I can see why it was hard to lose weight.I am 245 pounds and first month of elimination diet I lost 7 pounds then for 3 weeks after, none. Since then the last 3 weeks I lost another 5. In the beginning I have pushed excise to the point my feet hurt . I slowed down and still do sometimes few things but I don't overdo it. I read that our body gets inflamed when you overworked body.And even thou its been only few month I have a nice and steady loss. 1pound a week makes me very happy ...Hope you are well and we can connect.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    100toloose wrote: »
    @ herblovinmom I can see why it was hard to lose weight.I am 245 pounds and first month of elimination diet I lost 7 pounds then for 3 weeks after, none. Since then the last 3 weeks I lost another 5. In the beginning I have pushed excise to the point my feet hurt . I slowed down and still do sometimes few things but I don't overdo it. I read that our body gets inflamed when you overworked body.And even thou its been only few month I have a nice and steady loss. 1pound a week makes me very happy ...Hope you are well and we can connect.

Losing 1 pound a week is great! Keep up the good work. You are right, overworking your body and exercising to much causes inflammation and stress in our bodies. I do well doing interval training and low impact like yoga Pilates barre and weights. I’m not consistent though but honestly my life isn’t the same day in and day out so I shouldn’t be so hard on myself when my exercise falls off a bit. It’s the ebb and flow of things.. I lost a good amount the first year and now I’ve been plateaued since about November 2019. It just goes up and down within the same 5-7 pound range. 🤷🏼‍♀️ The doctor has high hopes that my diet and exercise will start working for me now that my meds are correct. 🤨 ok doc I’ll be positive. Lol

• beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    100toloose wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I need a good group of people who can be by my side and I can be a support system to with Hypothyroidism and hashimoto disease.
    My biggest issue that I don't lose weight. I eliminated GLUTEN- I miss bread so badly and sugar and dairy and only lost 7pounds the first week and since then 0. Now I'm on week 4.... So any suggestion would be appreciated.. Thyro peeps lest unite 🐥

Please do not be discouraged. I realize that you wrote this a few months ago. I was misdiagnosed my entire adult life thinking only hypo, when in fact I have hashimoto's as well. Every body will respond differently. Gluten is not a factor in losing for me. Its about eating enough and the right macros. Although I do eat as clean as possible. Hope this helps!