What workout are you doing while waiting for gyms to reopen?

Options
Beautyofdreams
Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
Hi,
I am coming back to strength training after a six year absence. My workouts are limited to the dumbbells that I have at home so mainly doing three to four sets in the six to twelve rep range varying time under tension doing a total body workout while waiting for gyms to reopen. What workout plan are you doing or did at home? What workout do you like to do at the gym? What muscle groups are you targeting?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not waiting on gyms to re-open as have worked out at home for the last couple of years anyway but I am missing being out rowing on the water so my fitness level has certainly dipped. I've a pretty well kitted out home gym, but mostly just using my dumbbells at the moment, probably start using my barbell and kettlebells again in a couple of weeks once I've gotten back into the swing of things.

Doing full body workouts following various videos from Youtube, mostly HASFIT and some Yoga stuff.

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am doing a variation on SL 5x5. I've swapped out squats for hip thrusts. I gave up my gym membership a few years ago as I really prefer to work out at home.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I haven't joined a gym in 8 years or so. I have a home gym, it is not 100% set up right now since we are in a temporary home, but I make it work. I am running Bret Contreras' Glute Lab intermediate program right now, huge focus on the glutes of course ;) so lots of hip thrusts, glute bridges, squats, deadlifts, glute accessories with a bit of upper. I also do YouTube workouts for cardio and some yoga.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from a foot fracture so I've had to make adjustments to my routine. It's much better now and I can squat and deadlift again, which makes me super happy. I was doing a full body routine while I was recovering but I'm switching back to an upper/lower split this week. I prefer to workout at home so I have a good amount of equipment. I mainly use: a bench, adjustable weight dumbbells, fabric hip bands, and resistance bands that have hooks and handles.
  • EnglishNaijaGalinCali83
    Options
    Hi,
    I am coming back to strength training after a six year absence. My workouts are limited to the dumbbells that I have at home so mainly doing three to four sets in the six to twelve rep range varying time under tension doing a total body workout while waiting for gyms to reopen. What workout plan are you doing or did at home? What workout do you like to do at the gym? What muscle groups are you targeting?

I have been doing the Starting Strength program that my husband got into. It is a basic strengthening program utilizing barbells. We have a basic barbell home gym with squat stands, a 20lb bar, standard weights and a bench. Basic but it works.

You do a workout 2-3 times a week doing Squats, Bench Press, Overhead Press and Deadlifts. The 2 type of presses you alternate each week.

The first session is trying to evaluate the most weight you can lift while keeping good form.
    For me that was low, no more than 45lbs as I have been battling multiple back muscle, knee and ankle injury and a recent abdominal surgery the last 2 years.

I started back in April and am currently lifting at:
    135lbs - squats
    95lbs - bench press
    80lbs - overhead press
    160lbs - deadlift

Each week you increase your weight to push yourself and improve your strength.
    In the beginning 1-2 weeks you can have jumps as big as 10lbs, but after that it slows to 5lb jumps then as it gets harder you drop to 2.5lbs.

This is a beginner weight lifting program that then can transition to intermediate level where you add more variations to the way you lift, your sets and reps.

I highly recommend this program for beginners and those who want to gradually incorporate weight training into their fitness. There are many Starting Strength videos online on YouTube which my husband followed. He did before COVID-19 pandemic hit go into one of their few on site gyms in Southern California (Orange county and San Diego). He did a 2 hr Basic Barbell Training with a certified Starting Strength trainer to ensure he was doing his exercises correctly and for them to correct his form and ensure he was at the correct weight level.

Once things open up a bit more I plan to do the same.

https://youtu.be/7HRqB30lxmo
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Since I moved out in the country four years ago, I haven't been to the gym but have been doing my workouts at home: usually spinning bike, weights, core, walking, swimming in the lake, step aerobics, dance, kickboxing, yoga. I have a good collection of gear here. I also use Les Mills on demand and Glo.
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,848 Member
    Options
    ladyzherra wrote: »
    Since I moved out in the country four years ago, I haven't been to the gym but have been doing my workouts at home: usually spinning bike, weights, core, walking, swimming in the lake, step aerobics, dance, kickboxing, yoga. I have a good collection of gear here. I also use Les Mills on demand and Glo.

I also use Les Mills on demand. I love The Ride, I use a treadmill though. Time goes really fast. There are so many options with this program.

Shelley
  • 2fitwithin
    2fitwithin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been taking advance of nature and walking with some jogging. I also, log into YouTube to Xtreme Hip Hop with Phil. I have Kettlebells, Resistance Bands, Stability Balls, Dumbbells, Step Platform and Zumba DVD's. I use to teach Zumba.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    I started P90X. All I needed was resistant bands and I got those somewhat cheap at Amazon. I did start jogging in the beginning of Quarantine but now that the sun sets sooner, I don't have sunlight so that's how I got into P90X.
  • pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Working out with dumbbells, a portable bench, resistance bands and a medicine ball. Do my own workouts and spin on my own spin bike for cardio as well as taking dance classes.
  • yfznat
    yfznat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do Les Mills on demand workouts from home. Luckily, I bought all the equipment right before COVID hit because you couldn’t find anything after that. I love Bodypump, Body Combat and Grit. I work 12 hour shifts and find it easier to work out at home. I tend to stay on track better.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Outdoors walking
    Low impact video workouts
    Band exercises
    3,5,12 lb hand weights
    exercise step platform along with video to step to
    I have a economy rower I don't use it, I can't seem to get with the motion of it.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I gave up my gym membership after the pandemic hit and have been working on slowly putting together a home gym. I've been using some of the Garmin strength workouts with dumbbells/ bench, 2 days a week full body and 1 day abs focused, slowly increasing the weight. I also have resistance bands (flat/ no handles), a mat, and a weighted yoga ball, as well as a stationary bike and rowing machine for cardio and long trail walks in the river valley near my house. Next on my wish list is a pullup bar.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Outdoors walking
    Low impact video workouts
    Band exercises
    3,5,12 lb hand weights
    exercise step platform along with video to step to
    I have a economy rower I don't use it, I can't seem to get with the motion of it.

I plan to start using my rower a few reps at a time to get into it, if not whats the point of keeping it besides to collect dust.

Also I love jumping rope, I have a couple of them. 🤸‍♀️