What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• rzbranek
    rzbranek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Trying to figure out a schedule for myself to get this done
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!

Like many of you, I am stuck at home. My state is re-opening, and while gyms have the green light to open (with restrictions), I am not ready to go back to a gym.

I have been following Blogilates.com’s monthly calendar since April, where the instructor, Cassey, focuses on Pilates, bodyweight, and cardio exercises with a fun “you can do it!” attitude. What I really love is that her calendar has all the videos you need to complete each day, and they all take less than an hour. Sometimes, if I don’t feel up to all 4 videos, I’ll just do 2, which is still between 20-30 minutes of exercise. 😊

So if you’re looking for a new workout from home, I highly recommend her videos, especially if you don’t own weights.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 Have you tried yoga? There are loads of free videos on YouTube (personally I like Yoga with Adrienne). While initially you will need to concentrate to get used to the moves, once you know them it will take less concentration and if you have a space that you won't be disturbed the flow allows your mind time to do whatever it wants, especially if you find a few videos you like and go through them multiple times so you know the order of the moves. All you need is a small space with a carpet (you don't actually need a yoga mat).
  • thelovelyjesse
    thelovelyjesse Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 have you tried the Walk Away the Pounds series? You can find them on YouTube. Fun walks when you are stuck indoors.
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 I did some Tai Chi when I was in China and pretty stuck. Qi gong also. Ask some people on this platform, they walk for miles indoors while watching videos of the world. I saw weather in Melbourne, horrendous! However, while today, Tuesday, still looks really bad, the rest of the week seems a lot better, until you're getting another wet and horrible weekend. I empathise entirely. Weather here is lovely now, I can go out and walk and my mood is so much better.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,371 Member
    Options
    The big-item (furniture & equipment) set-up is complete. I now have a 'work-from-home' station and a 'home-computer & test-study' station set up to my liking. (once i get my language requalification tests out of the way ... the test-study portion will morph into 'crafting-corner' - mostly sewing. )

Now for the systematic decluttering of what's hiding behind closet doors / on bookshelves in there - and gradually expanding outwards to the rest of the house.

Outside work-hours ... when not reviewing for French test (and NOT INSTEAD OF reviewing for French test!!!!)
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 Je peux t'aider?

• HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Chinkiri wrote: »
    @BMcC9 Je peux t'aider?

@Chinkiri, I am seriously impressed. How many languages do you speak and/or write?
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri, I am in awe, seriously! I never had the ear for a second language...I tried studying French in University, and although I had the grammar part down, the hearing it and conversing in it was next to impossible for me. Thankfully it was just going to be a minor!
  • asmism
    asmism Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @wishfuljune Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check this out.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes online barre class 50 min.

What does one DO in a barre class? something like ballet fundamentals? not even CLOSE to the idea of ballet fundamentals?

(a link to a typical youtube sample will do)

If one doesn't have a barre in the house already, what works for a substitute? (no matter what the actual exercise moves are)
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @BMcC9

Check out Coach Kel on YouTube. I normally take Barre classes at a Pilates Studio, but with the Studio being closed for now, I like Coach Kel. I'm sure there are other great videos of other instructors on YouTube, just haven't searched much.

You could get by temporarily using the back of a sturdy chair. I have a wall mounted Barre in my exercise room, and also just made a portable one out of PVC pipe. Not fancy looking, but it works! Of course, Amazon sells portable ones, too.

Let me know what you think of Coach Kel.

Pilates and Barre are my favorite indoor exercises. Yoga also.

• snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,557 Member
    Options
    Another Monday another 7 days to be focused on my goals, I believe our gym is opening but not sure if I want to rush back immediately. A training session tonight one must attend to know the COVID process for cleaning and probably people allowed in at one time. I have been able to develop my own stuff and now not so sure.... what are those of you who belong to gyms thinking of doing? At this point I think I will go to the informational meeting and since I am really close I can see how many cars are there and make my own time to go. Good luck in all you do this week be safe stay well wash your hands please wear your mask🙂
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @BMcC9

Check out Coach Kel on YouTube. I normally take Barre classes at a Pilates Studio, but with the Studio being closed for now, I like Coach Kel. I'm sure there are other great videos of other instructors on YouTube, just haven't searched much.

You could get by temporarily using the back of a sturdy chair. I have a wall mounted Barre in my exercise room, and also just made a portable one out of PVC pipe. Not fancy looking, but it works! Of course, Amazon sells portable ones, too.

Let me know what you think of Coach Kel.

Pilates and Barre are my favorite indoor exercises. Yoga also.

I will check out Coach Kel. I am 61, spend even MORE time just sitting in front on a computer (now that I am working from home) than I did in an office setting, and have found myself getting stiff. Now that I have switched to recumbent bike for my short (but far more calories burned per miniute) 20 minutes required ... I am looking into other range-of-motion options too.

Is there a pilates YouTube leader you (or anyone) find they like?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Another Monday another 7 days to be focused on my goals, I believe our gym is opening but not sure if I want to rush back immediately. A training session tonight one must attend to know the COVID process for cleaning and probably people allowed in at one time. I have been able to develop my own stuff and now not so sure.... what are those of you who belong to gyms thinking of doing? At this point I think I will go to the informational meeting and since I am really close I can see how many cars are there and make my own time to go. Good luck in all you do this week be safe stay well wash your hands please wear your mask🙂

Not a regular gym user and never have been - so can't comment on the rest .... but the informational session would at least give you some ideas on how to weigh options .... though wear your mask to it!!

Keep in mind that deeper / heavier breathing (and I am including singing as well as gym work-outs) will put more "potentials" into the atmosphere with more velocity and greater distance, and it only takes one person who doesn't even realize they are "carrying" to spread to many in that situation. So 6 ft / 2 meters isn't NEARLY going to be socially distanced enough. As well as shared equipment.