What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,371 Member
    Options
    This weekend, I went through my "mending pile" and sorted what needs a stitch-or-two from things that I might conceivably ATTEMPT to alter to fit my now-on-maintenance body - some of those WERE set aside as too small at one point, but are now TOO BIG ...

First
    • was ruthless about "colour or style no longer suits who I am now" (straight to the "donate when they are collecting again" pile)
    Next day,
    • actually tried the remainder on - if items were pants / capris and too big for NOW - straight to donate pile (too hard for my sewing skills to alter)
    • set three tops (too big for me, though I still love the colours) aside that my mom might like to adopt (eventually)
    • put multiple other tops in donate pile as "WHY am I going to try to even guess how to alter?!?" WHY NOT START FRESH???" (sewing from altered-before-cutting-fabric relatively basic patterns is closer to my sewing ability - altering pre-made garments (even simply made ones) ain't that easy

Once I put the few stitches in each of the "truly need minor mending" pile, I will do the same sort-down and put a high proportion of them into the "donate when they are collecting again pile". They are good quality with plenty of wear in them - someone not-so-far into their journey will be able to feel very pleased at the finds - I know I did under similar circumstances as my wardrobe sizes evolved.

As I type this I am thinking .... maybe ..... sneak two of those tops destined for mom back out and turn them into sleeveless shells? THAT would be within my alteration skill-level .... at least worth giving further thought to ....
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9
    I got rid of every piece of "big" clothing I own. I was afraid if it hung around, I might see I have something to go back to, if I should gain a little. I also have been finding the old styles no longer fit the new me too. It has been nice sprucing up my clothes with new pieces.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    @BMcC9
    I got rid of every piece of "big" clothing I own. I was afraid if it hung around, I might see I have something to go back to, if I should gain a little. I also have been finding the old styles no longer fit the new me too. It has been nice sprucing up my clothes with new pieces.

@SuziQ113 if I can't EASILY make it fit me now, it isn't staying ... I AM also checking the online catalogue of this collection, to see what they are offering right now and if any of the current colors appeal.

but I got these tops less than 18 months ago, and if they DID fit (if I happened on the same thing but the right size in a quality-label consignment shop for instance), the colours of these scoop-neck "3/4 sleeve T-style" jersey knit tops would suit the current me .... but the prints any particular company uses changes from year to year. They might now be using a completely different "colour pallet" in their current collection.

And over 98% ARE on their way out the door with no second thoughts and no regrets. The other 5 or so keeper items only need tiny tucks in the arm-pit seams or a cuff turned at the end of a too-long sleeve.

• BMcC9
    Options
    @HASWLRS what part of Ontario are you in? "The Golden Horseshoe" will be staying in Level 1 longer, but outside of there Level 2 is supposed to be starting on Friday (hair salons will open; restaurants (patios only and well-spread tables); gatherings of ~10 instead of no-more-than-5 )

I know from last month that you are waiting on the hair salons to re-open with keys in hand and finger poised over the auto-dial ....
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    After attending the informational gym meeting I feel a bit more comfortable and opening may not be until some time next week which is ok. Several new cleaning products available, self thermo scanning when entering contact data required. Deep cleaning on regular basis no showers and only a couple of bathrooms available that’s ok I live close by. Our gym is not big but it does not alleviate us from risks I do hope that others follow the protocol as it is a unstaffed facility most of the time guess that’s where we need to encourage others to be respectful and I should add we are a older group of gym users average age is probably 45-50 but that doesn’t mean all are respectful. Think I will still observe busy times and then decide when and if I will go.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9, I am in Tillsonburg, so outside of the GTA, but close enough when need be. (We can get to Pearson International in 90 minutes with no traffic). My husband actually needs a haircut more than I do, but I am definitely in need of a cut and colour! I must say, now that things are starting to open up, I am a bit anxious, even though the number of virus cases around here has been relatively low. One of the casualties of this opening is my women's only gym. The owner has decided to close, rather than try to work within the new guidelines. Even though I haven't been in over a year, I am still a little sad. Yes, there are co-ed gyms in town, but I will wait on making any sort of decision.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    @BMcC9
    SORRY, if I OFFENDED you. I believe I stated I would have a problem keeping my larger clothes around.

I know it's a great feeling to be able to pack and donate our larger clothing. I made another 2 bag donation to the Salvation Army.

Hopefully the alterations are easy for you so you can still enjoy the collection.

Take care.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @BMcC9
    SORRY, if I OFFENDED you. I believe I stated I would have a problem keeping my larger clothes around.

I know it's a great feeling to be able to pack and donate our larger clothing. I made another 2 bag donation to the Salvation Army.

Hopefully the alterations are easy for you so you can still enjoy the collection.

Take care.

@SuziQ113 - not at all offended!! I am actually quite proud that I am passing on so much of last summer's wardrobe, and that things that were still too small last year are too big this year. I won't be attempting what I know is actually beyond my sewing ability (which means pretty much everything that isn't sooo big that I could use it a yardage to cut a different much smaller item out of) I was just sighing over these favourite colours in these prints. As I moved down sizes, I would always donate too-big "interim" sizes and replace with others from the thrift store, knowing that they would also eventually be "too big before I was done" and donated back again. (I know where to find the resale stores that would get donations from more affluent neighborhoods, and could get high end labels I couldn't otherwise afford)

I am actually in a place that I haven't been for a long time ... looking more in the "new-off-the-rack" catalogues knowing that these will be long-term investments. and deciding what suits current-me long term lifestyle as well as my current new silhouette.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    lexabeep wrote: »
    So much unhelpful advice out there about health and nutrition I honestly have a hard time figuring out what is real and what is someone’s ‘personal philosophy’ or some such nonsense. I’m very fact, logic driven person and I just can’t make sense of all the hocus-pocus and snake oil out there. So this is what’s on my mind today. Just going to pull out some books with nutritional facts about food and go with that to create balance!

Totally agree. And, what is good today is bad tomorrow. I have learned anything claiming magic/improbable results is garbage. I typically stick with the major medical publications, but there are also retractions there too.

And, each of our bodies reacts differently due to genetic makeup, internal and external factors, age, hormones, sickness, etc. So it's a constant study for us and it is about finding what plan/strategy works for us.

And, as you already know the formula is simple (ha). If we want to lose calories must be less than what we burn in a day, if we want to gain the opposite, and if we want to maintain equal.

I am working upon balance too. I want to enjoy my favorites but need to make sure I do not overindulge and/or make sure my output is higher when I decide to eat/drink more. It has always been my challenge and I am sure I will be working on it for the rest of my life. I am not so young anymore and have to be diligent to the little signs my body shows me.

Hope your reading/study is beneficial and helpful.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    I’ve got to go through my closets, too, once I can get back into them. Vent is in the spoiler.
    We still have no flooring and movable items have been stashed in all not-being-floored areas of our “home” as five weeks ago they ordered our flooring and were FINALLY able to reach someone by phone Last Thursday. He said our flooring had come in the previous day and would call us Friday to schedule the installation for this week, then went radio silence on us again. Voicemail is full, they don’t pick up and finally my husband reached their corporate office today. Apparently, they can’t reach the guy, either and stated this is totally unacceptable. Ya think? 🙄🤬

I’m starting to feel less anxiety and more depression.

Half the dining and kitchen floors came up on February 18, which means my soap room is full of my home office, so I have not been able to work my small business since then. We have had our second bathroom unusable since March 3. The commode has been on the front porch for over three months. It’s quite Jeff Foxworthy-esque... you might be a redneck...

On the work-front, I believe I am going to lose right at half my department due to layoffs by Thursday, which gives me exactly one day to come up with the new schedule that rolls out on Sunday. I’m heartbroken because every single one of my team is family to me. I love them all. 💔😢

I don’t say much at home anymore because I’m sure DH is tired of hearing me cry about my now-permanently-changed job duties. Today I had to cover dispatch while transporting at the same time. Can you imagine, moving a bed with a patient in it, and having to stop and answer the phone, write down the Information on paper to put into the computer as soon as I’m done with the current transport? I’m going to have to resign from my extra duty as the coordinator for the Transfer Mobility Coach team because I won’t have time to train new hires or coordinate the activities, now that I’m no longer flying a desk. 😢

Our covid positive patients hit an all time high today.

I miss going out to eat. I miss our old way of life. I miss hugging so much. I hate we are never going back to what it used to be. I am tired of crying at the drop of a hat. I sing in the hospital choir at Christmas to carol for the patients, but I don’t see that happening this year.

I hate wearing a mask for 8 hours a day. Think about how it would feel to do a light jog with a paper mask on. That’s what it feels like to move beds across the facility masked. Figure the bed weighs about 200 pounds, and our bariatric patients run between 300-500 pounds. They wonder why we don’t make conversation and we explain that we are doing well just to breathe. My husband complained that he had to wear one at the doctor’s office yesterday. I really just wanted to clobber him for bitching about wearing a mask for a whopping 30 minutes while sitting still. 🙄🤬

Forgive me for venting here. My therapist had to move my appointment back a few weeks, so I’m overdue. I cancelled my hair appointment last week because my gal is immune compromised and I was exposed the week before. I get to go in July, assuming I don’t get exposed again, lol...not that it matters, it’s all stuffed in a bonnet at work, anyway. 😂

On the bright side, I am still gainfully employed, have my benefits and am not sitting at home stewing about what is going on in the world outside of my front door or worrying how I’m going to meet the bills. I’m also a few days shy of two weeks from the exposure and have not developed any symptoms. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 Oh! And I have lost a couple pounds since I started moving patients.

Big virtual hug to you. Your feelings are completely understandable considering there really isn't much balance in your life right now.

Maybe a call to the corporate office again stating you have spoken to your attorney and they are in breach of contract? Then simply state you want your money refunded and/or work to start no later than xyz date? It is terrible we have to threaten but it does seem the squeakiest wheel gets the grease.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    @BMcC9

Take care.

@SuziQ113 - not at all offended!! I am actually quite proud that I am passing on so much of last summer's wardrobe, and that things that were still too small last year are too big this year. I won't be attempting what I know is actually beyond my sewing ability (which means pretty much everything that isn't sooo big that I could use it a yardage to cut a different much smaller item out of) I was just sighing over these favourite colours in these prints. As I moved down sizes, I would always donate too-big "interim" sizes and replace with others from the thrift store, knowing that they would also eventually be "too big before I was done" and donated back again. (I know where to find the resale stores that would get donations from more affluent neighborhoods, and could get high end labels I couldn't otherwise afford)

I am actually in a place that I haven't been for a long time ... looking more in the "new-off-the-rack" catalogues knowing that these will be long-term investments. and deciding what suits current-me long term lifestyle as well as my current new silhouette.

Isn't it exciting!? So happy for you, reaching your goals and now moving forward in your new lifestyle! And, big pat on the back to you - lots of hard work and determination on your part. We all know there is no magic bullet out there.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @juliemouse83, please, feel free to "vent away". You are absolutely not overreacting to any of your current, less than desirable, situations, and since your therapist moved your appointment back, then this seems like as good a place as any! We can empathize with you; we just have no idea what it is really like to be in your shoes right now. The one thing I will say, is please don't lose hope. I am choosing to believe that we will go back to what is used to be (or almost) someday, just maybe a bit farther into the future than we would all like. (hugs)
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @juliemouse83, I am so sorry, Julie. I'd love to be able to give you back your workers, but all I can offer is a virtual hug.
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Dear @juliemouse83, like @HASWLRS I can only offer you my total support and a virtual hug! It is almost the weekend, give yourself a break!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Just a general tech inquiry....is any one else having trouble with their news feed, as in not having one? There is nothing showing on either my phone or my laptop.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    Just a general tech inquiry....is any one else having trouble with their news feed, as in not having one? There is nothing showing on either my phone or my laptop.

I have been getting problems with that too.
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    @HASWLRS Ditto. I think it's a general problem at Under Armour