Overeaters Anonymous?

Options
lilyann001
lilyann001 Posts: 75 Member
Hi! I am considering joining overeaters anonymous. I am an emotional overeater and currently obese.
I want to find an in-person group where we can talk and support each other with not emotionally overeating.
Do any of you have opinions on how Overeaters Anonymous? Do any of you have experience with this group? Thank you.

Replies

• meowysmiling5779
    meowysmiling5779 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tried it but you need to have a strong relationship with God I think for that one. The group I went to prayed more than I felt comfortable with. It works like AA but instead is OA. You can try it free online and see if it works for you.
  • anoldguy
    anoldguy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The meetings are basically just to keep you mindful of your journey and that there are many in the same situation. The sponsor can give you more personal contact and support. You can do daily contact with sponsor. Since all are over-eaters it is not therapy. You can report on situations but 12 step groups do not give advice only encouragement and acceptance. A food plan and abstinence are the basis of recovery. This is my experience.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I attended a meeting but the group did not resonnate with me personally. However, there were many there who had been attending for years and found so much success.