Leah’s OMAD Journal

Options
Leah_62803
Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
edited June 2020 in Social Groups
I don’t really know what I’m doing with this but I figured I’d give it a shot. It might be nice to keep a little journal for myself since I’m not really ready to talk about it with anyone in “real life”.

Female, 5’3, 36 years old
SW: 213.8 lbs
CW: 205.6 lbs
GW: 140 lbs

So...My name is Leah. I’ve got 3 kids and a husband. When I got married I was around 150 lbs and wanted to lose some weight but instead went up to 165 and pretty consistently stayed there. Even after having my first baby, I easily went back down to 165ish. I had my second baby a couple years later and got down to 155-160 afterwards.
I started having some problems with feeling low and no energy. I now think it was my birth control but back then I went on antidepressants. They made me gain A LOT of weight in a short time. My weight jumped up into the 180s and crept up into the 190s occasionally. I struggled to lose anything. It felt stuck on and it was upsetting because I had always stayed at 165 without dieting before. I decided to get serious about it...and then got pregnant with my 3rd baby before I had a chance to lose anything.
After that pregnancy I tried again. I was at 207 and worked hard to get down to 175. The most weight I’d ever lost even though I didn’t appreciate it.
Then I hurt my back. I was bedridden for a couple months and ended up having to have surgery. My weight shot back up. Every once in awhile I would say I was going to try to lose weight but I’d give up after only a week or so when the weight didn’t magically melt off.

So here I am. I was feeling bad about myself after seeing some pictures and got on the scale to see 213. It was very upsetting. I spent a couple days trying to traditionally diet and then on 6/12 I decided to fast until dinner because I was worried about my calories (kids wanted fondue night). I googled “one meal a day” and read all about it. Now I’ve just finished day 13. I’m feeling very confident and happy. I really feel like this is sustainable for me.

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    Our "starting weights" are very similar - I officially went on OMAD at 211. I now toggle between 150-160 (I'm a little taller than you, but not a TON, 5 ft 7) - Sure, I'd like to get that down to 140-150 but that's purely vanity weight :)

YOU CAN DO THISSSSSSSSSS!!!!

PS - the journal thing is my fave part - I started a thread when I first started and I OFTEN go back and reread to help encourage myself :)
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    Our "starting weights" are very similar - I officially went on OMAD at 211. I now toggle between 150-160 (I'm a little taller than you, but not a TON, 5 ft 7) - Sure, I'd like to get that down to 140-150 but that's purely vanity weight :)

YOU CAN DO THISSSSSSSSSS!!!!

PS - the journal thing is my fave part - I started a thread when I first started and I OFTEN go back and reread to help encourage myself :)

Thanks! I definitely think I can stick to it. I just need to learn some patience. I feel like every morning I wake up and get dressed and think "Are my pants looser yet?" Haha.
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    So far day 14 is going just fine. I had my normal hunger when I first woke up and a little bit around 12pm but now I'm just at work and bored.
    I'm actually having my first big test. I used to binge eat (usually fast food) when I was stressed or sad. Well, I'm extremely stressed out right now. I had my very first car accident yesterday. It wasn't that bad, just a little fender bender but it was still scary and now dealing with insurance stuff is scary and stressful. When do normal people get over stuff like this? I still feel so sick about it. But the good news is that for once in my life I'm not running to a fast food drive thru. Mostly because I'm scared to drive...just kidding. :)
    I'm having buffalo chicken pizza today for dinner. Not the healthiest, I know, but it's so yummy and I'm making less of it than I normally do so I won't overeat...as much. ;)
  • LadyBlanks
    LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Leah, and congrats on your loss so far. Sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear you are handling it differently. OMAD is great because there are no eating restrictions and you are eating all of your calories at once so you can have a bigger meal. I look forward to reading your journal. You are going to do great!
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hi Leah,

it is nice to hear your story. I was much heavier at my highest (230ish) and now I am down to 165ish and my goal is between 150-160. I have tried every diet in the world, and when I found OMAD I was so shocked at how easy it was to fit into my lifestyle. I am not a breakfast person at all, so that was easy, once I get past the lunch 1-2 pm it is all good......I haven't been perfect but it has really worked. I learned that if I screw up one day, then I put that day behind me and move on, instead of a weekly binge.

This is the best most supportive group EVER. We all have struggles and we talk about, own it, and get the best support every from all of this group!

A big warm welcome to you, I can't wait to follow your journey!
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    LadyBlanks wrote: »
    Welcome, Leah, and congrats on your loss so far. Sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear you are handling it differently. OMAD is great because there are no eating restrictions and you are eating all of your calories at once so you can have a bigger meal. I look forward to reading your journal. You are going to do great!

Thank you! The restriction thing is where I’ve always failed. Not just because of certain foods but also because I love to eat until I feel full. When I was trying to cut my portions way back, I just felt so unsatisfied and it always made me binge eat after a week or two.
    It sounds strange to say that it’s easier to not eat than to eat a small portion but it really is for me.

• Leah_62803
    Options
    Hi Leah,

it is nice to hear your story. I was much heavier at my highest (230ish) and now I am down to 165ish and my goal is between 150-160. I have tried every diet in the world, and when I found OMAD I was so shocked at how easy it was to fit into my lifestyle. I am not a breakfast person at all, so that was easy, once I get past the lunch 1-2 pm it is all good......I haven't been perfect but it has really worked. I learned that if I screw up one day, then I put that day behind me and move on, instead of a weekly binge.

This is the best most supportive group EVER. We all have struggles and we talk about, own it, and get the best support every from all of this group!

A big warm welcome to you, I can't wait to follow your journey!

Thank you! I’m not a breakfast person either but I’ve always thought that skipping lunch would be IMPOSSIBLE. It really hasn’t been nearly as hard as I thought it would be.
  • LadyBlanks
    Options
    It is definitely easier for me to not eat than to have to figure out what and how much to eat multiple times a day.
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    LadyBlanks wrote: »
    It is definitely easier for me to not eat than to have to figure out what and how much to eat multiple times a day.

Exactly!
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    We ate dinner outside yesterday. The kids thought it was fun because we had everything “on a stick”. We had skewers of steak, skewers of veggies, and skewers of fruit. Then fudge pops for dessert. It was all very yummy.

Tomorrow is mine and my husband’s wedding anniversary! 17 years. :)
    We are leaving Monday on a little 3 day trip. Mostly going hiking and hanging out in the woods. I’ll probably be eating more (at least 2 meals) so hopefully it won’t be too hard to get back on the OMAD wagon when I get home.
  • LadyBlanks
    Options
    Congratulations on your anniversary. Enjoy your mini vacation.
  • Leah_62803
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I hate typing this but in the spirit of accountability...I didn’t do great today. I absentmindedly ate a couple of grapes with the kids without thinking and that put me on a downhill spiral. I ended up eating some cheese and then a buttered bagel. The bagel was what made me feel really bad because it was more than I needed. It’s the same old problem I have where once I start eating, I feel like I can’t stop. It didn’t help that I felt awful all day today with a bad headache.
    I’m sure I’ll do better tomorrow though. At least I made it a little over 2 weeks before having a bad day.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Just start over tomorrow and be mindful of the tendency to just go on auto-eat. It can happen. You will learn from this.
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    So far today has been super easy. I’m feeling good and not too hungry at all. I mean, I’m definitely looking forward to dinner time but I’m not miserable.
    I have found something that is tough for me. My husband! He’s trying to lose weight too. He’s not doing OMAD but he’s only having a low calorie protein shake for lunch. He WILL NOT STOP talking about how hungry he is and what he wishes he was eating and it’s driving me crazy. I’m not really mad and I’m typing this with a smile but I do think I’m going to have to talk to him about it.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    It's like you remember feeling that way, right?
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    It's like you remember feeling that way, right?

I think it’s because I’m getting better at distracting myself and not thinking about food during the day...but then I have him following me around all weekend reminding me that I haven’t eaten. And because I love him so it upsets me to hear that he’s miserable. It almost tempts me to want to break my fast just so he’ll eat too.

• volgirl1322
    Options
    You will get back on track.....just because the train went off the tracks, it can get back on. As you read through all of our posts, you will see we have all been there......A new day, and back to OMAD. The best part of this group is that we all know the "struggle is real" and we make mistakes and move on.
    A couple of weeks ago I was having "snackccidents" jut a small snack that led to eating before OMAD...….after a week of that, I was over it...…

• Leah_62803
    Options
    Day 1 of our anniversary trip is done and I actually stuck to OMAD! I wasn’t planning to but I’m glad I did. I’m not sure I’d say I stuck to my “diet” because my one meal was a splurge. Haha. Appetizer, entree, and then ice cream. But it’s our anniversary and we wanted to have some fun. Tomorrow night will probably be pizza and wine. But hopefully we’ll be home Wednesday so hopefully my meals will go back to being fairly sensible.

We had a fantastic day though! Hiked several trails and saw some beautiful natural places. The weather was perfect. There’s some wild horse herds out here and we’re hoping to see them.
  • volgirl1322
    Options
    That sounds so fun!!!! Glad you were able to OMAD :)
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    Day 2 we did decide to go ahead and eat lunch so I didn’t do OMAD. I just really wanted us to enjoy ourselves because we rarely ever get time away from the kids.
    We did a little over 6 miles of hiking yesterday though so I’m choosing to say I earned it. We also went easier on dinner to make up for it.

Today we came home and I’ve stuck to OMAD. I’m really hungry right now and glad that it’s almost dinner time.

We found the wild horses!! :)