Exercise

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    amart4224 wrote: »
    MuttiNM wrote: »
    @amart4224 You saying you don't like cold weather made me smile. Our high today was 28 and by Friday the high will only be 16. A high of 50 would feel like heaven to me! Just goes to show we all have different perspectives! :) Anyway, good job on getting out for 2 walks!

Me too!! Yesterday I walked in 26 degree weather and a mile in it started snowing furiously on me! 50 is no jacket weather here!

The farthest north I've ever lived was Kansas, and while I remember happily trudging through the snow to deliver my paper route as a child, as an adult I think Arizona or Florida would be my idea of a good climate - 26 degrees would see me on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate!

*laughs* I"m the direct opposite - the idea of Arizona or Florida as a living climate kills me; too hot in the former and too hot and humid in the latter! I can't take humidity and heat; the boyfriend and I when discussing places we'd like to live both say the only way we could go further south than WV would be to stick to the mountains of NC or TN.

I love snow and like winter-time. I like all 4 seasons, with summer actually being my least favorite - if it wasn't for being able to get out and be outside and the longer days, I would really dislike summer because of the heat. To me, a good summer temp is upper 70's. I like my winters like we have them here, lasting from about the end of November to the end of March. The only thing that would keep me from moving even further north is the winter time darkness; I wouldn't want to live somewhere where you have months of darkness in the winter!
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    So, quick question. The app still won't sync up with my fitbit for my steps/exercise for today.

I did a light workout on the bike today, and according to my fitbit, I burned 256 calories.

I know that's not exactly accurate because it... I don't remember what I read, it does something like adding in the calories you'd normally burn just by, well, breathing and being there :p

So my question is, about how much of that 256 did I actually burn so I can input it into the MFP app?

I'm not even going to guess with the steps. (I'm only at about 4k steps today so far, it's been an anxiety/recliner filled day today)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    So, quick question. The app still won't sync up with my fitbit for my steps/exercise for today.

I did a light workout on the bike today, and according to my fitbit, I burned 256 calories.

I know that's not exactly accurate because it... I don't remember what I read, it does something like adding in the calories you'd normally burn just by, well, breathing and being there :p

So my question is, about how much of that 256 did I actually burn so I can input it into the MFP app?

I'm not even going to guess with the steps. (I'm only at about 4k steps today so far, it's been an anxiety/recliner filled day today)

If you don’t eat any of your exercise calories back, I would give it an educated guess...there are some other sites you can check how many calories you burned....I eat back about 25% of my exercise calories because I never think MFP is consistently accurate....hope this helps!
  • rieraclaelin

If you don’t eat any of your exercise calories back, I would give it an educated guess...there are some other sites you can check how many calories you burned....I eat back about 25% of my exercise calories because I never think MFP is consistently accurate....hope this helps!

I don't usually eat them back, that's just how my dietician had me doing this. But, with my TOM, I'm eating some of them back for the next couple of days :p
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Any one into spin style biking? I enjoyed the in person classes when they were around, but with toddler I don't have travel + class time to commit during the week anyways.

Does any one use any apps Zwift, Peleton or iFit?
    Leaning towards Peleton app because I will get variety of other classes as well.
    I have hybrid road bike + magnetic trainer planning to gear up with wahoo cadence sensor to get it together! I would rather see if this works over buying traditional spin bike, but not against it either.

@secretgirl29 is inspiring me to dust off my weights as well!
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    dcshima wrote: »
    Any one into spin style biking? I enjoyed the in person classes when they were around, but with toddler I don't have travel + class time to commit during the week anyways.

Does any one use any apps Zwift, Peleton or iFit?
    Leaning towards Peleton app because I will get variety of other classes as well.
    I have hybrid road bike + magnetic trainer planning to gear up with wahoo cadence sensor to get it together! I would rather see if this works over buying traditional spin bike, but not against it either.

@secretgirl29 is inspiring me to dust off my weights as well!

Not me, but my dad was an avid cyclist and used Zwift with his indoor trainer during the cold months. He seemed to really like it and said it was cool to "ride" the virtual courses and "race" with people from all over the world. He would've much preferred to be outside, but said it made the trainer less monotonous.
  • conniewilkins56
    I was finally able to get back in the pool today after some chilly weather....I burned a lot of calories and didn’t mind the exercise...you really do have to find an exercise you love if you want extra activity!...I had the pool to myself and it was great....water was 85 degrees and so was the air temp...blue sky and not a cloud in sight!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    I was finally able to get back in the pool today after some chilly weather....I burned a lot of calories and didn’t mind the exercise...you really do have to find an exercise you love if you want extra activity!...I had the pool to myself and it was great....water was 85 degrees and so was the air temp...blue sky and not a cloud in sight!

Sounds glorious!
  • amart4224
    Has anyone dealt with heel pain when trying to exercise? I have pain in the heel of my left foot that's been bothering me for about a year now. It was one of my motivations to start losing weight - I thought "well of course your foot hurts, you know it shouldn't be carrying so much weight" and I didn't want to go to the doctor because I assumed they would tell me exactly that. I almost exclusively walk for exercise but didn't get out much during the winter since I'm not a fan of cold weather so my heel pain wasn't as noticeable the past few months. Now that it's warmed up, I'm walking quite a bit, and I'm pretty disappointed to find that, if anything, the heel pain has gotten worse despite the fact that I'm 42 pounds lighter. It's starting to affect my gait and I'm afraid that'll cause a variety of other problems 😖

I have my annual checkup next month and plan to bring it up with the doctor then, but in the meantime I'm looking for suggestions of anything that might help with the pain - a particular type of insole maybe? I've also been looking into exercises that wouldn't put as much weight on my feet, but so far haven't come across anything that looks like I would enjoy it and would be plausible to do on a regular basis. Suggestions, shared experiences, etc all welcome!
  • lauriekallis
    Has anyone dealt with heel pain when trying to exercise? I have pain in the heel of my left foot that's been bothering me for about a year now. It was one of my motivations to start losing weight - I thought "well of course your foot hurts, you know it shouldn't be carrying so much weight" and I didn't want to go to the doctor because I assumed they would tell me exactly that. I almost exclusively walk for exercise but didn't get out much during the winter since I'm not a fan of cold weather so my heel pain wasn't as noticeable the past few months. Now that it's warmed up, I'm walking quite a bit, and I'm pretty disappointed to find that, if anything, the heel pain has gotten worse despite the fact that I'm 42 pounds lighter. It's starting to affect my gait and I'm afraid that'll cause a variety of other problems 😖

I have my annual checkup next month and plan to bring it up with the doctor then, but in the meantime I'm looking for suggestions of anything that might help with the pain - a particular type of insole maybe? I've also been looking into exercises that wouldn't put as much weight on my feet, but so far haven't come across anything that looks like I would enjoy it and would be plausible to do on a regular basis. Suggestions, shared experiences, etc all welcome!

Look up plantar fasciitis and see if that matches your symptoms. It is a nasty little condition that can hurt beyond belief. And you really should respect it because it can progress until you completely rupture the plantar fascia and that is no fun either.

Superfeet insoles helped me a lot.

These shoes made walking possible the mornings when getting to the bathroom seemed impossible:
    https://vionicshoes.ca/products/hightidewide?variant=6555568046110&fbclid=IwAR2uCXN96ojWxpTSUvqwHiWR77NRUpKv44FJCx9k5wke3VlvZ--ypG6ULIY

And after the rupture (and 6 weeks in a walking cast) I eventually found Dr. Martin's bouncing sole boots to be the ticket to walking well again.

Rest seems a good treatment when the pain is acute.

I've also found these particular exercises to be useful:
    https://vionicshoes.ca/products/hightidewide?variant=6555568046110&fbclid=IwAR2uCXN96ojWxpTSUvqwHiWR77NRUpKv44FJCx9k5wke3VlvZ--ypG6ULIY

• amart4224
    Oh, no! Yes, I just looked it up and that sounds very much like what I'm experiencing. I had thought plantar fasciitis was something that only happened to runners and I haven't run in about 4 years so thought I was in the clear.

I already wear good, supportive shoes (including Superfeet insoles) so may have to try stretching, icing, and alternate forms of exercise.
  • lauriekallis
    Oh, no! Yes, I just looked it up and that sounds very much like what I'm experiencing. I had thought plantar fasciitis was something that only happened to runners and I haven't run in about 4 years so thought I was in the clear.

I already wear good, supportive shoes (including Superfeet insoles) so may have to try stretching, icing, and alternate forms of exercise.

I just realized I pasted the vionic shoe link twice and missed the exercise link. The whole bad foot experience lasted a good year for me - and at the end of it all, these exercises helped the most.

The bouncing soles were good but that was post-rupture - because at that point there was no longer any fasciitis - just a very tender spot where the fascia had torn off the bone. A different kind of pain that flared up after a lot of walking.

These are kind of weird and they seem like nothing - but really good for your feet!

https://damienhowellpt.com/strengthening-exercises-for-intrinsic-foot-muscles/#.YHxAmjwpDmg
  • rieraclaelin
    I used to have that, I think, but it luckily went away! I have to be careful now, though, because I've been developing shin splints in my right leg, which kinda sucks. Whenever I feel it starting to hurt, though, I do some stretches for it then move to my stationary bike for a while until it heals, then I start walking again.

Speaking of exercise, though, does anyone know if any good, EASY, YouTube beginners strength workouts with just hand weights or something? I'm wanting to start adding in some strength building now that I'm down 100+ pounds!
  • conniewilkins56
    My daughter is a teacher and suffers hugely from it...she just finished going thru a series of prednisone doses and shots in her feet....the doctor advised insoles to buy online and special slide slippers to wear at home....her arches are shot...never go barefoot again and only swimming as exercise for the next six weeks....finally some relief after two years of off and on pain until she had to get medical help!
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    The only thing that cured PF for me was resting the foot. I wasn’t a runner at that time and it just happened one day. It was super annoying trying to stay off of my foot but it was the ONLY thing that worked..it took about 6 weeks unfortunately after suffering through 6 months of other stuff like insoles etc. I did start swimming during that time though (while still babying my foot movement) so there are other options for you. Maybe switch to weight lifting for a while? It’s a crappy condition to have..hope you get through it as fast as you can.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I had pf for about 6 months...it's just gone away over the last few weeks. I was told by the physio to never go barefoot or wear slip ons. He showed me how to strap it, and that meant I could carry on exercising. I googled a couple of different strapping methods and combined them to find a way that worked for me. I also strap at night, as that's when I get a lot of pain in it.
  • conniewilkins56
    Look at me now!....it is so crazy that 2 years ago this month, I could barely walk....most of my day was spent sleeping and eating or thinking about what to eat next!...I had to ride in a motorized cart to shop and I could not stand the entire time it took to prepare a meal...I didn’t take off my nightgown all day unless I was going out of the house...

Right now I am dressed in shorts and a tank top...my hair is brushed and I have make up on....dinner is in the crock pot and food for the remainder of the day is planned and pre logged...

I have been to the gym this morning and I rode the stationary bike....I have also been to the pool where I exercised for 90 minutes swimming laps, doing aerobics and water jogging...I have also made the bed and folded three loads of laundry!...I have made lunch for my husband and myself and taken the dog out....some days I have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming....most days I have so much energy, I can’t sit still!...

I am physically not the same person I was 2 years ago....mentally I still struggle a lot....I still binge on occasion but I am slowly ( oh, so slowly ) learning how to postpone a binge or have a shorter time frame of eating....I rarely binge more than one evening every couple of months....now if I could figure out how not to binge at all!

But I feel good....my weight loss has stalled for a few months but my body is adjusting to a lighter weight than I have had in years...my body likes my size but my brain wants me to lose more.....I know I need to lose more pounds.....and I am going to....it’s just coming off slower now!.....I am learning to “ trust in the process”....every day I stay under or at my calorie goal is a win...every day I get a little bit further on my journey!

And who would have ever thought in a million years that I would be saying I love my exercise routine!

• lauriekallis
    @conniewilkins56 So good to read this post. It is amazing how good it feels to be lighter and to enjoy movement again! Love feeling your energy and enthusiasm.

I'm struggling with a serious slowdown/body resistance these recent months, too. Maybe our bodies figure it feels good now so we can stop - they just don't know that it can get even better! Or maybe after a long period of serious deficit they just want to soak up some extra calories and hold on to everything they've got? :)

All the power to you to keep on "winning" - I'll follow along.

The idea of considering a day sticking to the process as the win - rather than the number on the scale seems the best plan. But WOW that is the hardest!
  • conniewilkins56
    @conniewilkins56 So good to read this post. It is amazing how good it feels to be lighter and to enjoy movement again! Love feeling your energy and enthusiasm.

I'm struggling with a serious slowdown/body resistance these recent months, too. Maybe our bodies figure it feels good now so we can stop - they just don't know that it can get even better! Or maybe after a long period of serious deficit they just want to soak up some extra calories and hold on to everything they've got? :)

All the power to you to keep on "winning" - I'll follow along.

The idea of considering a day sticking to the process as the win - rather than the number on the scale seems the best plan. But WOW that is the hardest!

There is very rarely a day when I do not think about eating something I shouldn’t!....I love food but mostly sweets....

I do think your body gets comfortable with a new low weight and your brain whispers lots of crap in your ear!...my little voice tells me how much better I look and how nice my clothes fit...and then I hear in the other ear how big I still am and how I am getting old and will have wrinkles so what difference does it make if I am fat!...food is pleasure and I should not deprive myself because I might drop over dead without ever getting more cookies or candy...this same voice tells me to go ahead and eat because no one will know I ate it and I can exercise the extra calories off....Ha!...been down that road more than once....it doesn’t work that way!

I think I have held the same weight now for so long, that my body is ok with me losing weight again...I hope so anyway!...I ate too much Saturday due to frustration, anxiety and defiance but I got right back on track Sun...that is a win for me having a short food fest...

Laurie you have motivated me so much and your genuine friendliness is very refreshing!...I envy you for all of the walking you can do...I hit 5000 steps one day last week and I was thrilled lol...you are like my walking idol lol....hang in there because you and I both know how worth it this process is...