Veggie bbq ideas?

I am looking for a really tasty vegetarian burger recipe. Preferably under 200 calories. I need an alternative for bbqs when lockdown is over. Oh yeah my teen girl hates quorn so it’s a no go there.

Replies

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise

adapted from All Recipes
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 4 • Size: 1 burger w/ mayo bun + avocado

Ingredients:

For the Spicy Chipotle Mayo:
    • 3 1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise (Hellman's)
    • 1 tbsp canned chipotle in adobo sauce

For the Black Bean Burgers:
    • 16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    • 1/2 cup chopped scallions
    • 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
    • 3 cloves garlic, peeled
    • 1 jumbo egg
    • 1 tbsp cumin
    • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    • 1 tsp hot sauce
    • 1/2 cup quick oats (use gf oats for gluten free)
    • 4 whole wheat 100 calorie buns (Martin's)*
    • 1 small hass avocado, sliced thin

Directions:
    Combine mayonnaise and chipotle, set aside.
    Dry the beans well after washing, extra moisture keep the burgers from sticking. In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
    In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, cilantro, onion, and garlic, then add oats, then eggs and spices. Then stir into mashed beans.

Divide mixture into four patties (using slightly oiled hands helps) and place them onto a flat surface covered with wax paper. (If it's too wet, chill the mixture 30 minutes in the refrigerator or add another tablespoon of oats)
    Freeze at least 2 hours before cooking or keep frozen until ready to cook.

Heat a lightly sprayed skillet to medium heat and cook frozen burgers about 7 minutes on each side.

If grilling, preheat grill over medium heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil; grill 7-8 minutes on each side or you can bake in the oven at 375° on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    White Bean Burger Recipe

I adapted this recipe from another one I found online.

Ingredients:
    1 can(15oz) white beans
    1/4 cup corn
    2 ounces mushrooms (chopped)*
    2 ounces carrots (chopped)*
    1 ounce onion*
    2t garlic minced
    1/4 cup corn meal
    1/2 cup bread crumbs (plain)
    2 eggs
    1t butter
    1/4t smoked paprika
    1/4t cumin
    1/4t chili powder
    1T olive oil for cooking patties in skillet

*I chopped these in a chopper and then cooked them.

Directions:
    Cook corn, mushrooms, carrots, onions, garlic and spices together in butter (or oil). Meanwhile whisk eggs, add corn meal and bread crumbs stir well. Add veggie mixture to corn meal and bread crumbs mix well. Add this mixture and the beans into a food processor and process until the consistency you want. The consistency was a lot like ground beef.

Shape into patties (I made about 6 3ounce patties), cook in olive oil in oven-ready skillet on both sides 4-5 minutes. Transfer pan to oven and bake 10-15 more minutes.

The flavor was pretty good but the patties turned out a little dry. I topped mine with 1Tblsp salsa.

Next time I will probably add more of the spices and perhaps some salsa to the mixture - this will give it a little more moisture and flavor. Also, a little less corn meal might have helped with the dryness.