Quarantine Diet

Options
UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 12,920 Member
I just got back from a road trip, driving from Texas back to Canada... and my wife & I are now in quarantine for 14 days.

One would think being stuck in the house would make meal planning easy but I find I'm less interested in cooking than usual... and I'm not big of meal planning at the best of times.

Anyone have a suggestion for interesting fun recipes using common ingredients since I can't go shopping for unusual ingredients?

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Bacon wrapped anything and then grilled over charcoal. Hot dogs, chicken breast, hamburger, asparagus, mushroom caps, tofu, bell peppers. jalapeno peppers, etc.

Bacon makes everything better. ;)
  • UncleMac
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Bacon makes everything better. ;)

Agreed... And my wife is Texan so the bacon grease gets stored for later use.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I made a version of Cafe Rio recently and ate it for like 4 days. Cafe Rio is this place in Utah that has a Burrito Bowl that's insanely good. There's a million copy cat recipes of it online.

But the basics are melt some cheese over a burrito. I like Manchego, but you could use just any white cheese like White American (at any US deli). Then you put slow cooked pork over it -- four ingredients in a crock pot -- pork, can of green chilis, brown sugar and Dr Pepper. Really, Dr Pepper.

Make some white rice and add lime juice, cilantro and salt to it.

Chop up some romaine and add in some fresh cilantro.

Buy some ranch dressing (it is normally made with a tomatillo dressing that's one tomatillo, cilantro, sugar, a jalapeno, lime juice, mayo and sour cream blended) and buy some tortilla strips and spicy black beans and pico de gallo.

Layer the burrito with cheese, then rice, pork, beans. Cover with pico, then the romaine/cilantro and then the tortilla strips. Drizzle with the Ranch (or tomatillo/cilantro/lime dressing). Parmesan over the top optional.

OMG it's so good. Not great for the waist though!

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/jared-and-i-love-cafe-rio/
  • UncleMac
    Options
    OMG it's so good. Not great for the waist though!

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/jared-and-i-love-cafe-rio/

Sounds amazing! I think I have most of the ingredients... :smiley:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My husband grilled some chicken breasts and we've been using that for a week for everything from quesadillas to fettuccine alfredo.