What things do you do?

Options
Back story I have had hypothyroidism since 2004. In 2016 I lost my weight and was 130 lbs. I’m on 150 mcg of levothyroxine a day. Last Nov my mom got sick. Passed away in February 2020 and With the travel and no time for meal prep and taking care of her I put some of the weight back on. Then COVID hit and the rest said hey why not. So here I am trying to lose again.

With the recommendation from my dr, whom I adore for her knowledge, I don’t eat breads pasta cereal etc. I am doing as much as I can exercising but as of late having trouble with the knees. Even with what “normal “ blood work says is normal I have always still had symptoms ( joints aching from time to time , headaches, fatigue, insomnia, bowel issues). It’s not every day it’s just stuff that flares up. Thanks for you patience.

Now to my inquiry. We all know it’s calories in and out. But that isn’t my inquiry. What exercises do you find works in helping the losing weight part? I love the elliptical however that and the bike has been making my knees hurts for the past couple weeks and I am unable to do them more than 15 minutes a day.

What have you found that helps? I don’t see a treadmill in the future for this year. I do go for walks with my toy dog when the humidity isn’t bad, but is that enough? Can people with hypothyroidism really lose weight with just walking alone? I do , do a few dumbbell exercises for my arms. Not heavy weights but as much as I can handle for now.
I wish I could swim as I know that would take the pressure off the joints and be great exercise but I don’t swim. So what do you all find that helps you stay on track and you can do consistently?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have had a harder time than most in these last few months. You are brave.

Often people who are hypo acquire an arthritis diagnosis some time before being diagnosed as hypo. I wonder if you might benefit from glucosamine sometimes it comes with chondroitin. This can help support the cartilage in various joints. MSM another supplement can help reduce the inflammation as can NAC. Please read into these because they could help bring you some pain/discomfort relief.

Its good levo seems to help you, there are many including myself that it does not. I wonder if you are using anything to facilitate the conversion of t4 to t3. Levo is a synthetic iodine which like the natural requires several minerals and some vitamins to make the step from the inactive form to the active form. Selenium and Zinc are a couple selenium can be found in salmon and I think Brazil nuts as well as on the health food shop shelves. Some companies provide combinations to make life easier.

Not all doctors check the t3 levels those who do are often content with the total t3 but knowing how much of your t3 production is what they term reverse is useful. The term refers to t3 which are made the wrong way round so they will not fit the t3 receptors this is often caused by a nutritional deficiency such as selenium. I fear for you the stress of recent months could have compromised things for a while. Looking into something to support conversion could really help you. Stress is most unhelpful. I hope knowing you were there when you were needed, did the best you could will bring you some consolation.

I'm sure you discovered when you had your previous success that conscientious measuring and personal accountability went a long way to your success. I would suggest while your knees are tender you do what you can, May be sleep with your knees over a pillow to take the pressure off. Walking with your fur friend is wonderful idea. The Knack will be to let your knees recover it can be easy to be over enthusiastic when one starts out. May be for a week or so do not be too hard on your knees. Thinking arms I have seen it suggested that using two tins of soup or similar for arm exercises can be helpful. Mostly while you are trying to dull the pain of your knees possibly you could concentrate on your posture. Several studies all be they in older people discovered sitting well rather than slouching uses more calories, likewise standing well too.

I hope my supplement suggestions can bring you back to the degree of joint comfort you usually experience within a reasonable time period. All the very best, take care. Time spend healing your knees will be time well spent. And by the way, please don't sit with your knees crossed, mine are aching because I have been doing this.

• hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank you greatly. I most certainly will check into those supplements.

Oh I know the routine of monitoring everything. It’s not always easy but it is a must. Love the scale that converts to grams as well as ounces it’s a life saver.

As for the arthritis, it has been diagnosed in the past. When I go into the dr this fall, I will be mentioning it and do something proactive. In the past x rays just showed it was forming, however , I believe we are to the point of do something. I’m waiting for my fall appointment and not pushing one right now due to COVID.

Now that the stress of my mom is pretty much over and I’m home I can focus on weight loss again. I have been able to walk with not much issues the last day or two. I do smaller walks but hey it all adds up. I’m hitting roughly 12k steps between 6 am and 7 pm. Want more but happy. Dropped 1/4 lb so far this week and I’m pretty sure it’s water at this point but I’ll take it and keep going forward.

Once again thank you for sharing your knowledge 😁
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Back story I have had hypothyroidism since 2004. In 2016 I lost my weight and was 130 lbs. I’m on 150 mcg of levothyroxine a day. Last Nov my mom got sick. Passed away in February 2020 and With the travel and no time for meal prep and taking care of her I put some of the weight back on. Then COVID hit and the rest said hey why not. So here I am trying to lose again.

With the recommendation from my dr, whom I adore for her knowledge, I don’t eat breads pasta cereal etc. I am doing as much as I can exercising but as of late having trouble with the knees. Even with what “normal “ blood work says is normal I have always still had symptoms ( joints aching from time to time , headaches, fatigue, insomnia, bowel issues). It’s not every day it’s just stuff that flares up. Thanks for you patience.

Now to my inquiry. We all know it’s calories in and out. But that isn’t my inquiry. What exercises do you find works in helping the losing weight part? I love the elliptical however that and the bike has been making my knees hurts for the past couple weeks and I am unable to do them more than 15 minutes a day.

What have you found that helps? I don’t see a treadmill in the future for this year. I do go for walks with my toy dog when the humidity isn’t bad, but is that enough? Can people with hypothyroidism really lose weight with just walking alone? I do , do a few dumbbell exercises for my arms. Not heavy weights but as much as I can handle for now.
    I wish I could swim as I know that would take the pressure off the joints and be great exercise but I don’t swim. So what do you all find that helps you stay on track and you can do consistently?

Hi, sorry your struggling with losing. I also struggle with losing. It seems to just move around, hahaha. I have Hashimotos with hypothyroidism. My endo has me on name brand Synthroid, gluten free, low carb, lower calories, low sugar, intermittent fasting diet. I have been able to lose and keep off 20 pounds in the past 2 years. It has not come off easily. I had been hypo for 10+ years. With very unstable labs. My labs are good, I feel better, my pain has lessened. I would have a lot of headaches and joint inflammation. I can tell now that I’ve been gluten free when I accidentally eat gluten cause my body will inflame. It’s been quite the journey, but I’ve got all my life. 🤗 I like walking and doing run walk intervals as well as strength training in my home. I like the elliptical but I hate the elliptical. We have a complicated relationship lol
    I don’t exercise as much as I should and I do know that consistency in that are would help. The non scale victories keep me engaged and rewards keep me motivated. I keep reaching the same reward (a certain weight on the scale) and then I gain it right back the next day so I’ve not technically rewarded myself for that goal yet. 🙄
    I hope you find what works for you. You’ve done it before so you can do it again. Just believe in yourself 🤗 :::hugs:::

PS. Reach out when you need a friend or support ..
    Take Care
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    HI there, I have been diagnosed about 6 month ago. Long story short. I eliminated gluten most sugar and dairy -then added some back- as I don't feel it has any
    negative affect on me. Lost 20 pounds in 3 month with levo- smallest dose possible- I really don't think it has done anything for me I credit that to my diet change.
    Now- I added back a few things- whole wheat pita and tortilla I was missing carbs tremendously. I will see how I am reacting to it in a few month.
    Exercise. I have only walked 1 mile a day slow , leisure type of walking and added some weights- heavier 10-20 pounds (mind me I was 255pounds) and I think that started the weight loss.
    I have not walked at all for a month as I got sick and couldn't. Now I am adding that back to my routine just because it helps me to relax ...
    Hope it helps.
  • hypodonthaveme
    Options
    That’s terrific. I happen to have a doctor who realizes not everyone with hypothyroidism has the same symptoms. The only thing I just realized ( going through bloodwork reports) she tests for T-SHIRTS and T4 each time and reverse T3 every other time. Which I will be discussing when I go back again.

I have found grains to really be a bother to me. Not just for weight loss but my joints hurt awful with it and it messes with my bowels. I misunderstood the doctor when she said no refined carbs( bread pasta etc) I thought she was talking white not whole wheat. I didn’t think 2 slices for a sandwich would have affected me as bad as it did. So I’m in a now you know. It’s fine for me as I don’t miss or crave it. If they tell me to monitor fruits and veggies then I’m getting a new doctor 😉. Those are foods I cannot go without.

I miss the elliptical but the walking is very nice. Now cooler weather will be coming morning walks will be a blessing as well as refreshing.
  • hypodonthaveme
    Options
    Thank you all for support suggestions and keeping it real. We will all get there and the struggle is real. Wish others would realize it’s not easy when you have this.

I have set a goal for when I hit 140 again I’m going to get me a new Fitbit perhaps a versa 2. That’s only a short 26 lbs a way. But that’s what I want and that’s what I’m aiming for. I love my inspire hr but wanted to set a big reward that wasn’t just clothes as you get those as you lose anyway. But that is gonna be my big reward😁
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    😆 I got rewards for every few pounds lost, just to keep me going 😆 my final reward with be a vita mix and/or a new workout equipment, to keep me in maintenance.. Not sure which as I want it to be something that helped me lose weight as well as keeps me in track with health. Could be either a fancy blender or a fancy bow flex or maybe that cool new mirror thing.