IF and weight lifting......

Options
Gaygirl2120
Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
edited September 2020 in Social Groups
So I really want to try IF. I’m just trying to make sure it can fit my lifestyle/schedule. I feel the 12pm to 8pm eating window would work best for me. However my main concern is getting in protein right after my workout. I have always been taught to preserve muscle and help build them it’s best to get in protein right after your workout. Wether is be a full meal or just a shake. My work schedule is from 11-7. I workout in the mornings from 7am to 9am. So obviously if I don’t break my fast until 12 getting in protein right after my workout won’t work. I just want to make sure I’m not working so hard in the gym to build lean muscle and not see the benefits of it. Thoughts on this? Is it that important to get in protein right away after lifting?

Replies

• teriann5
    teriann5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I very recently had a coach tell me even if I work out in the morning, I can still wait until I open my eating window for my first meal but to make sure that meal was a good protein source. I am just starting out with the weight lifting, so I can't tell you how well that works, but this coach is well known, makes his living helping people work out and eat right. Lots of people do really well on his eating plan. I am hoping that works because that is what my plan is for now! Good luck!!
  • Mrs_Vad3r
    Mrs_Vad3r Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A little late here, but I love working out in fasted state. I try to plan my workouts so that i hit my eating window within the hour after. That being said some weeks are busier than others and I only have time to workout 3-4 hours after my workout.

My IF style allows for 0cal drinks so I'll have a pre-workout with aminos before and aminos after in order to aid muscle recovery.