Swaps

Options
12346»

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    The reduced fat sour cream is way better than the no fat sour cream...Publix has a good one!
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I just tried Quest Protein Chips (Chile and Lime Flavor) or the first time. They are surprisingly amazing! I had to order them from Amazon because I could not find them in stores near me. 20 g protein per bag. Only slightly less caloric than regular chips (120 cal per bag) - but really helpful if you want a crunchy snack that will also support your protein goals.

And I agree about sour cream. Also Ricotta cheese. I had been eating the part skim kind. I bought some full fat ricotta by mistake, and oh what a difference! Probably fine to stick with the part skim variety if its in a lasagna - mixed in with other stuff, but if the ricotta needs to stand on its own, full fat is the way to go.
  • Joeblackwell75
    Joeblackwell75 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I finally gave up Mayo. I grew up with Blue Plate Mayo in our house because that's what my grandmother used. I've always used it on sandwiches and burgers. Now, I just use mustard, but sometimes I use spicy mustard if I want a different taste. If I want something sweet, I usually have an apple cinnamon rice cake with a banana or some other type of fruit on top. This satisfies my craving and it's a lot less calories than ice cream or some type of candy bar. Fruit is a great option for something sweet, especially when the fruit is in season. I learned that I can have 200 g of fresh strawberries for only 66 calories. Every day is a learning experience.

I like the Hellman’s Light Mayonaise for 35 calories a Tablespoon....

I have LOTS of different mustards and use them a lot!....

I really like Hillshire Turkey Kielbasa at 90 calories for 2 ounces....it has quite a bit of sodium in it but it sure tastes good!

I am learning to really like Chobani less sugar Greek Yogurt and Dannon Lite and Fit Greek Yogurt....has lots of protein and it sticks to your ribs for a while!....I add some berries and cinnamon to it!

And the new sugar free creamers at 15 calories a Tablespoon are amazing....I have 5 or 6 kinds in the refrigerator....and it makes amazing frozen coffee frappes in the blender!...

I love to eat and I love to cook and I love grocery stores and produce markets!

I’ve tried the low fat mayo’s and didn’t like the taste so it was easier for me to give it up. I will definitely try the the sugar free creamers for coffee. I usually drink coffee every morning. I also like the Danon light n fit yogurt and like the protein it has. Have a great week!
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Got back on Kroger Carbmaster yogurt kick, they aren't the cleanest ingredient wise, but 70 calories, $0.40, low carb & moderate protein, easy to fit in for snack.

Also tried the Carbmaster wheat bread, solid option for 30 cal / slice when you are looking for transportation media for high cal filling option. It can hold up to PB and sugar free J or grilled cheese without falling apart or weird funky fake taste / texture.

Bought some egg white protein powder to try Maria Emmerich PSMF bread & angel food cake real soon, will report back.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I found some sugar free lemon pudding mix on my last grocery run - not sure if this is a new flavor offering or if they just started carrying it, as I hadn't seen it before. I was excited because I love lemon flavored desserts but the regular full sugar lemon pudding is 110 cals per serving and that's a little more than I'd like to "spend." The sugar free was 70 cals per serving which is more doable. Unfortunately, I tasted it today and...yuck. It has hardly any lemon flavor at all, and instead just tastes like vanilla pudding that's gone bad. I'm going to try mixing a bit of lemon juice into the remainder of the batch to see if that improves it, but otherwise this was a swap FAIL.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Years ago like in the 1970s, Weight Watchers was very restrictive and sugar free pudding and jello didn’t exist...we made our own jello with lemon lime soda and Knox gelatin....it is great and almost calorie free...I still make it because in our area the stores do not hardly carry any sugar free jellos!....you can use any sugar free soda....Shasta orange was really good!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating consciously - as opposed to when I'm going right off the beam which has indeed happened a lot lately - I like to eat somewhat "clean" - no artificial, unpronounceable ingredients - and I usually cook from scratch (though weird combos... ;) ...Connie)

But a friend gave me a Jello no sugar added stored in the fridge chocolate pudding awhile back, and though it wasn't magnificent, it was okay and only 50 calories.

Today those little puddings (a four pack) saved my day. I've been in an eating everything I can get my hands on mode lately - and I picked those pudding up when I was out shopping today even though I'm not keen on artificial sweeteners hoping that they might help me transition back to some kind of normalcy. And I think I can credit those puddings with saving my day. I felt like I had a treat - and best of all they didn't trigger a free for all. And yes - when I bought them I did plan to eat all four this evening - they're not terribly big and I had plenty of room for the 200 calories.

Tonight I'm thanking the heavens for artificial sweeteners.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    But a friend gave me a Jello no sugar added stored in the fridge chocolate pudding awhile back, and though it wasn't magnificent, it was okay and only 50 calories.

So.... stupid store only has the chocolate ones. But Wally-mart also has the dulce de leche ones. They are sweeter as far as I'm concerned... so don't touch if you're not into sweet stuff.

Now, young Laurie, observe! :lol:

Harken the the lowly Yoplait 0% artificial sweetened 650g strawberry or cherry yogurt. Thin and watery it is. Sub $2 on sale at Wally Mart or Stupid Store. And only 230 Cal for the whole tub.

Add less than 20g of all bran buds on penalty of potential issues down the road (if you've ever taken metamucil or other psyllium fiber products you ought to know what I'm talking about!). I usually go for 14g to 20g max.

Add a chocolate or dulce jello for the thickening power and extra desert like effect... and you now have a 300 to 330 Cal tub of stomach filling desert like power!

Let's call it a "parfait" if we want to, and place it in tall crystal goblets for consumption with a powdering of unsweetened cocoa powder or cinnamon on top.... or... well... just dig into the tub directly!

*bonus points: prepare ahead so that the buds absorb all the moisture and are no longer crunchy making it into a totally different type of thing...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    @PAV8888

I'm so glad I checked back in here before heading to bed. This made me laugh out loud. I'm not 100% certain I'm ready to make this leap completely - but who knows what new thoughts tomorrow may bring! Definitely wanting to get to Wally-mart and find the dulce de leche ones!

I'm kinda liking the idea of the crunchy brand buds...

Hmmm...

:D

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    There is also vanilla, rice pudding and tapioca....glad we have Publix in Florida....great company and groceries!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    There is also vanilla, rice pudding and tapioca....glad we have Publix in Florida....great company and groceries!

Oh... I am jealous re rice pudding and tapioca! I bet they will be more than 50-60 Cal each though won't they? Says the sour grape fox!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Oh... I am jealous re rice pudding and tapioca! I bet they will be more than 50-60 Cal each though won't they? Says the sour grape fox!

I think they have 70.... I do not like rice pudding or tapioca.....the vanilla and dark chocolate are both good....husband loves the dulce de leche ones...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I found the dulce de leche ones at No Frills today! Woohoo. Maybe they were always there? I never looked because I try very hard not to look at these things. Rice pudding I would love - they had some no sugar ones in this store too but they were 130 calories :(
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Vanilla whey casein powder + cottage cheese + splash unsweetened almond milk / water + cinnamon is decent stand in for rice pudding with better macros

RIP refrigerated Kozyshack pudding, on my short list of unable to portion control, so I personally avoid.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    dcshima wrote: »
    Vanilla whey casein powder + cottage cheese + splash unsweetened almond milk / water + cinnamon is decent stand in for rice pudding with better macros

RIP refrigerated Kozyshack pudding, on my short list of unable to portion control, so I personally avoid.

KozyShack is definitely in the too many calories for too little of the goodness category... cause... ya know the big "family" tub of Kozy? That would be my entry level! :blush:

You've got a thing going for cottage cheese that is almost equal (or ahead) of my 0% plain greek yogurt thing! But I will throw one at you: unsweetened vanilla cashew milk vs almond milk. I like the calories better on the cashew milk plus it comes with "free" vanilla flavour :wink: A bit high in sodium though.