On week 6 (5 & 6) and my knees are really hurting

Options
shell2belle
shell2belle Posts: 23 Member
I feel like I'm ripping myself off because I have to modify all of the jumping and the squats, but my doctor insists that I do it because my knees are in so much pain. Do any of you have any pain in the knees from this workout? I was thinking of adding another workout series that is easy on the knees in addition to this one. When Jillian has us do any type of jumping or lunges, I march in place (while doing the arms). I feel like I am "phoning it in" when I do this, but my knees are killing me!

Any suggestions to make my knees stronger? Doc wants me to give this up, but is open to me modifying the exercises. Thanks!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep talking to you doc to make sure that you aren't having any other serious issues. Also, see if he/she can refer you to a physical therapist. Even if it's just 1 session, he/she can give you a few exercises or tips on how to build up strength or lessen the pain in that area. My entire right side is much weaker than my left, so my right knee and ankle get pretty sore with workouts. I also did more damage to my knee when I hurt myself when I was show jumping. I had been going to a PT pretty much all my life, but when I moved away, she gave me a list of exercises that would help to strengthen the muscles and some stretches that would help to relieve the pain. A lot of PT will do that if you can't come regularly. I don't like taking pills because if I dampen the pain too much, I feel like I won't be able to tell if something is seriously wrong. But I take hyaluronic acid and that helps a ton since it's already found in the joints. It also makes my skin nice. Sometimes docs will do injections of HA for people with very sore knees, but that's in extreme cases. I still have to modify a lot of the workouts, but what I've done is to add light weights. I might only be able to pop instead of jump, but the extra weights make it much more of a challenge. Don't be afraid to modify and keep an eye on you knees. If you have to stop for a week to let yourself rest, you have to stop for a week to let yourself rest. It's not worth doing damage to yourself. Stay aware!

Edit: Oh! And always focus on form! I forgot to add that. If I don't do my squat exercises properly, my knee can start to hurt a bit. So make sure that your form is as perfect as can be.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have had ACL reconstruction surgery on both of my knees, and they hurt during any of the major jumping moves. I modify. If it is jumping squats, I do squats. If it is jumping lunges, I do lunges. If it is double-unders, I do singles. If my heart rate stays up, I don't think it is phoning it in.
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have an injured back, so I use a mini trampoline for any of the jumping moves. I just make sure my heart rate stays up. I think as long as you keep moving, you will break through in a much better state than injuring yourself even more.
  • shell2belle
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I make sure I keep moving and I keep my heart rate up, but I felt I was, as Jillian says, "phoning it in." So glad to be reassured that I'm not.

I'll see if I can get an appointment with a PT so they can help me strengthen my knees. Great suggestion! Thanks!!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I work for an ortho/PT and I had them give me some exercises for knees, but she really gets crazy. I am better but will never do "rock star" jumps or jumping squats....I just do jumping jacks or run in place, anything to keep my heart rate up. She does different moves for variety but the jumps do nothing but keep your heart rate up...so just adjust and do something yourself.

Believe me nothing is worth getting hurt over, just keep moving. ; )
  • shell2belle
    Options
    Thank you debraran1. I just started week 7 and she has a lot of jumping. I marched in place as fast as I could to keep my heart rate up. There's no way my knee would survive the rock star jumps. No way. :)