THE Holidays!....

Options

Replies

• _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This is the first year I didn’t eat a whole bag of candy in years. I didn’t have any candy at all and I didn’t feel deprived at all. This is a great feeling.

I had a Jell-O shot and logged it. I shouldn’t have because I barley drink and it turned my stomach.
  • jjlbrick
    jjlbrick Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started in May lost 40lbs, I do have Candy fun size. I’m not going to eat the entire bag rapidly I am going to have one piece. It may take months to eat this. Thanksgiving we don’t have big plans. I’m going to eat small amounts of foods. If I eat over my calorie budget ONE DAY. I can eat normally the next day ramp my exercise up.
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Speaking of the holidays, does anyone here have any good sugar free desserts they've made? Or have any recipes you've wanted to try? I'm trying to think of a no added sugar type dessert I can make for Thanksgiving.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @rieraclaelin

homemade pumpkin pie is actually not that bad calorie-wise, especially if you substitute a unsweetened nutmilk for the canned milk (I like using cashew milk) and use a sugar alternative. Keep the whipped cream under control.

You can also cut calories down even more if you make the pumpkin pie crustless (though I love crust, so I just deal with the extra calories lol)

Pillsbury's sugar free yellow cake mix and devil's food cake mix are both very good. They also have sugar free icing to go with it and you can't really tell a difference between them and a regular cake mix. If you substitute fat free greek yogurt or sour cream for the oil, and use cool whip as your topping, you get a very good calorie savings. And the good news is that Pillsbury's mixes make full size cakes and cost a fraction of the Swerve cake mix - the Swerve cake mix may be even lower in calories, but one box costs $7 and it only makes half of a layer cake - you'd have to have 2 to get a full size cake!

I've experimented with Pecan Pie and was able to get the calorie count down very well using Swerve brown sugar, though swerve is pretty darned expensive.

So using splenda or your favorite sugar alternative in your regular desserts can really help with the calories, as well as making other tweaks, such as cutting back some on the shortening in the pie crust or using greek yogurt or sour cream in place of oil or butter, etc.

Last week, I made a butternut squash pie but forgot to put sweetener in it period - didn't realize it until I took a bite. You know, it wasn't all that bad without the sweetener; the coolwhip I put on it covered the missing sweetness of the pie. I"m half tempted to try it again with sweet potato since sweet potatoes are naturally sweet anyway, and see how much of a difference it makes. You might not need sugar or a sugar alternative at all!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are on the line of being too sweet to me. I can't imagine why the common restaurant practice is to put a sweet butter on it. I usually go for chili powder.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Sweet potatoes are on the line of being too sweet to me. I can't imagine why the common restaurant practice is to put a sweet butter on it. I usually go for chili powder.

I have never put chili powder on a sweet potato but I might try this...sounds pretty good!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    my first thought was "sacreligious! chili powder on sweet potato"

Then I thought - wait; sweet and spicy. You know, that might actually work!
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My plan for Thanksgiving is to have one plate and one desert - and enjoy the heck out of them. I also plan to NOT bring home leftovers. :)
  • cgcdavis7
    cgcdavis7 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm bringing my food scale to my mom's for sure, lol. Only thing is that I don't want to make my family feel uncomfortable by weighing and measuring everything! Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to for sure but I will do it discreetly. I also plan to eat lightly before and to workout so I remember how hard I'm working for my goals. I plan on dinner being around 700-900 calories 😝.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Well my plans for thanksgiving have been thrown into the trash. My niece has tested positive for COVID this morning. She has no symptoms but still has to quarantine for 14 days. My sister, bil, and nephew are getting tested tomorrow. We were planning on doing thanksgiving together with my parents. Sooooo I dunno what we are going to do now. I may cook a small turkey and some sides for just my family or we may just treat it as a regular day. Either way I’m not going to make a bunch of different foods and desserts.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,311 Member
    Options
    @gewel321 I'm sorry your plans got messed up by covid! I remember one year when I was little that we had tacos for Thanksgiving. It was fun and memorable. You don't have to go all out if you don't want to. :)
  • gewel321
    Options
    We decided to reschedule. It’s not about the day it’s about the family. My sister will be out of quarantine the Friday after so we are going to do it on Saturday. We may just have tacos on Thanksgiving Day!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    When I was 6 I had chicken pox over Thanksgiving....the next Thanksgiving I had measles!....no one in the family remembers this except me!...then I had our daughter the day before Thanksgiving and our granddaughter was born the day after Christmas!....our holidays are always screwed up plus no one but my husband and I like turkey, ham, cranberries or sweet potatoes!
  • gewel321
    Options
    My husband surprised me yesterday night with tickets to go to Florida to visit the Harry Potter Christmas celebration at Universal Studios. We are going to week before Christmas so that we can still have Christmas with the family. So excited but this will throw the weight loss for a loop. I will do maintenance for that week.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I decided to go to my parents' house tomorrow and stay through Sunday - the boredom and loneliness at my house is getting to be too much. And they have just had a fence put up around their backyard in hopes that it would make it possible for me to do multiple day visits with my dogs in tow, so I didn't want to disappoint them.

I'm a little anxious about being away from my bathroom scale and food scale for 4 days when I am absolutely not ready for a diet break. I'm still aiming for 1 pound per week loss through the end of the year and I don't want this to derail me. So I will be focusing on portion control, eyeballing calories as best I can, and maybe make a grocery store run when I first get there to pick up some of my favorite low cal staples. It will be a tricky balance sticking to my eating plan without offending my mom - she seems to almost take it personally when I eat things she doesn't enjoy and refuse her offer of alternate food, even when she's at my house. (Comments about how my protein shakes surely can't be filling, or making repeated offers to buy me restaurant breakfast when I already said I was making my own.)

Other than the food worries, I'm really looking forward to the visit. We always play board games together, go hiking, watch old home movies or look at photo albums, etc. and since I will be the only guest, the activities are my choice 😌
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Wishing all of you a Happy Thanksgiving!

• MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 Thank you! The same to you and your family and everyone else in the group!
  • _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So I am cooking a whole bunch of stuff. We are having turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, rolls, cranberry sauce, corn, candied yams, brussel sprouts, stuffing for the main meal and deviled eggs, spinach dip, crab dip and bread bowl for appetizers. Apple pie, pecan pie, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream, cool whip or vanilla ice cream ( we have all three). And wine.

My plan is to not have breakfast or lunch but enjoy OMAD today.

I’m going to have turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, cranberry sauce and apple pie with whipped cream. And wine.

My plan is to eat slowly and enjoy it. The only leftovers I’m planning to have is turkey.

I think I’m going to just do a quick add for Thanksgiving at my total cal allotment for the day and be ok knowing it was over.

It’s one day. I’m not going to continue eating this way. I won’t weigh myself until Monday and all should be well.

I’ve had so much anxiety for today and feel like I have been putting so much pressure on myself. There is no need as long as I go back to normal eating tomorrow.

My niece is in college and recently lost her job. We have all agreed to send her home with all of the leftovers except some turkey so I can’t even be tempted.

Happy Thanksgiving y’all! I hope everyone can be at peace. 🥰😘
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Happy thanksgiving to you all from me too!

I’m not counting today either and am splurging a little on breakfast by stopping at Hardee’s but I’m still being mindful by getting just an egg biscuit and a small hash rounds. I may not have lunch at all except for a banana and that’s because I’ve had Charlie horses lately which signal to me to get a little more potassium.

Otherwise I am being mindful with dinner with turkey, stuffing, roasted vegetables, and baked sweet potatoes for dinner and pumpkin pie for dessert with the left overs except for part of the turkey going home with mom.
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I’ll also probably OMAD today but I won’t punish myself if I wind up having a snack beforehand. I’ve spent three days baking and delivering 12 batches of pastries, 25 pies, and 120 bread rolls and I’m sure I burned a decent amount of calories considering how active rolling out cold puff pastry and pie dough is. (I run a small bakery out of my home so this is a really busy time for me.) I’m also finishing the savory stuff today so I can drop off turkey and sides to the friends who went in on the bird with us. I have all of my regular exercise calories from today and the rest of the week so I know it will all come out in the wash, anyways.

I loosely logged what I’ll probably eat but I want to enjoy myself and not think too hard about it. I just want to enjoy my time with my partner since this is probably the only time Thanksgiving will just be the two of us.