Returning to intervals in week 6 (but, but, I don't wanna!)

Options
ZombieEarhart
ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
I started my run tonight with every intention of doing week 6 day 1, but after the first 5 minute jog I did not want to slow down. I couldn't stop thinking about how awesome week 5 day 3 felt, and how pround and happy I felt all day after I finished it. So I kept going for 22 minutes.

Soooo: before I do myself some kind of harm, would any kind souls care to talk me down from my running induced hubris and talk to me about returning to intervals? What is the benefit? I've found that following the program works, but I'm feeling really stubborn right now.

Tell me why I have to walk again?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's in the program so I'm sure there's a reason. My personal theory is because they suck so badly that you never want to do a walk run interval again. That's probably not it though. Maybe rduhlir has a better explanation.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I used the intervals to try and gain some speed. I deliberately pushed my speed on them because I knew I'd get a walk break. So essentially they were speedwork. Which seems to have worked because I've dropped something like 30 seconds off my mile between Wk5D3 and Wk7D1. I'm not sure if this was their intent but it works for me.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing because I know exactly how you feel! I felt the same way. But...there will come a time when you will want to do intervals. When you are working on building out more miles, a 1 minute walk break after each mile can help you maintain form and pace while pushing yourself forward. I think it actually helps me get to the point of running the same distance without breaks more quickly. I think that's what week six is doing.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Ok, I will go back to intervals and work on some speed- that makes great sense.