anyone dropped weight switching from T4 to Armour?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I'm on synthetic T4 and can't lose weight..I've tried adding T3 but still gained a stone after getting down to 9st 3.

I'm thinking of switching to Armour thyroxine just to see if the changeover period would result in significant drop in weight whilst my body got used to it.....a stone would do so I was back to where I was before?

Replies

• emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost weight when I switched to Armour. I weighed 210 pounds when I switched from Synthroid to Armour. After a month or two I weighed 185 pounds. Then stopped losing. Now, I need to diet and exercise to lose more. But that loss was without diet or exercise. I feel MUCH better. Hypothyroid symptoms are improved, but remember that everyone is different. Good luck.
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Im following. going to endo in early Oct and Im on Synthroid. Just recently new endo added cytomel, gained 5lbs and cant lose. Im finding im depressed and irritable and that's only after I take the cytomel. Looking to swtch to armour or Naturthyroid
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I had a bad experience with Armour. I was on Synthroid, found it didn't seem to be working any more (symptoms were returning), switched to Armour and felt awful (sore all over like I had the flu, extreme sensitivity to cold, tiredness, irritability). I scheduled an appointment with an Endo who told me that he only prescribed Armour to one person, whom he monitors regularly, due to an allergy to other medications. He put me back on Synthroid at a higher dose and almost all of my symptoms are gone and I'm feeling much better! Having blood work done next month to see what my levels look like.

That being said, I *did* lose weight while on Armour, but I am also active and trying to lose.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm steadily losing. For me though, I had to sort out other issues like low iron & vit D levels, sex hormone imbalance, and work on adrenal fatigue to see any progress. I'm currently taking a combination of NDT + Cytomel. I'm slowly backing off of the T3, and adding in more NDT - I wasn't able to tolerate NDT at all at the beginning because of those issues. But now I'm functioning again, and its fabulous... I personally would never go back to Synthroid only.