I'm New Here....Help Me Please!!!

SueGeer
SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
Hi everyone! Let me introduce myself. My name is Sue. I'm 51; 5'5 & weigh in at 140lbs & 31.6% BF as of this morning. Don't particularly need to change weight but I have a 19-y-o baby belly that's gotta go! Any tips on reducing BF would be much appreciated.

Changed my macros to P 25%; F 25%; C 50%. Calories goal set at lightly active 1690 cals as recommended by MFP (I prefer this method as it gives me the incentive to exercise as I can eat back the calories). My diary is open if anyone wants to look and offer some advice.

Gym 3-4 times a week....working with dumb-bells and weights monitored by qualified trainers. Still a bit of a weakling......can kettlebell swing 24kg (just!) and am currently deadlifting 20kg trap bar with 30kg weights (total 50kg). One-arm overarm press 7-8kg. Also trying to strengthen legs & improve co-ordination......weak left leg with tight Achilles & metatarsal osteotomy on right big toe.

I use a Fitbit which automatically syncs exercise cals to MFP, so I don't enter them manually.

Thanks!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sue :smile: x

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    What does your weight do at that intake and how long have you been eating at that intake for?
  • SueGeer
    Just changed it today after reading post from @cmeirun who mentioned the group.....she looks great! Came over and read a couple of articles. Was eating at 1560 with activity set at sedentary (I have a desk job).....weight yo-yoing between 136 & 140, and before that I was eating 1200 which is too much hassle. Am reasonably happy with how I look......just need to attack the BF esp belly fat! I eat a reasonable amount of protein, but am too easily tempted by chocolate!
  • SideSteel
    I think you are going to gain weight on your new setting.

I hope you don't, but I think you will because you are going from the following intake:

(these are gross intake averages)

to

1690 + exercise calories. This is likely to be a significant increase in calories and I'm not convinced this is a good idea.

If you would like to find the point at which you maintain bodyweight I would slowly increase calories. I would also bump up the protein higher than it is currently.

I'd set your intake to the following for a week, such that you average this intake level (gross intake). You can do this by eating this amount daily or you can eat more on exercise days and less on rest days, however you prefer. But your averages should end up around this level:

1600 calories
    150 carbs
    60 fat
    110 protein

Monitor change in weight for the week and PM me with a link to this thread to update me in a week and we can go over next steps.

The point is that you shouldn't go from 1500 cals to 1690+exercise cals in one swoop. Make gradual changes and monitor what happens.

Regarding your programming, just make sure either you or the trainer are monitoring your lifting progress and increasing your training intensity over time. If you are lifting 30lbs for 10 reps right now on a particular lift, and three weeks from now you are still lifting 30lbs for 10 reps, then you could be using a more effective method.
  • SueGeer
    I was eating 1560 + 100-300 exercise calories.....sorry if i didn't make that clear.
  • SideSteel
    I was eating 1560 + 100-300 exercise calories.....sorry if i didn't make that clear.

Your goal may have been 1560+ exercise but the averages I have listed out show what you are actually logging.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Locking so we can track active threads better. If you want further input, please PM on of us, with a link to this thread, and we will unlock it so you can post.
This discussion has been closed.