November “This & That” discussion (renamed)

Options

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,979 Member
    Options
    I’ve never done a vision board @PKM0515 , but I started creating monthly trackers when my circumstances changed this years, and they have helped a lot. I say go for it.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @77tes! I'm going to give it a try. 🌛
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Thanks, @77tes! I'm going to give it a try. 🌛

I’ve been tempted - let us know how it goes @PKM0515 !!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Here is my first attempt with free motion quilting a real project, not just practice swatches. 3j9uc24469bu.jpeg
    ng5kz2cdullz.jpeg
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @nebslp, that is beautiful! So creative! 🌟
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Here is my first attempt with free motion quilting a real project, not just practice swatches. 3j9uc24469bu.jpeg
    ng5kz2cdullz.jpeg

Wow! @nebslp !! I might try figuring it out again soon :)
  • nebslp
    Options
    Thanks for your comments :) Sorry the pics came out sideways :(@MadisonMolly2017 FMQ was a lot easier and more fun than when I first started. The biggest problem is getting the machine tension to cooperate. Sometimes it's great, the next minute it's being cantankerous!

@PKM0515 I've never created a vision board but thought about it awhile back. I've always been a daydreamer and I have so many visions in my head I don't think I need a real board LOL!!! Let us know if you decide to make one how it works out.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @nebslp very beautiful work, as well as unique!!! Thank you for sharing 💖 .

🤠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    thank you so so MUCH for the photo of your work @nebslp I actually went and googled FMQ after seeing the lovely lovely decoration you made. Have you opened your shop up for orders yet? Christmas is coming!!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @texasgardnr and @SummerSkier Thank you both for your kind words. Also for the vote of confidence. No shop opening yet :# SO scary. But I'm making Nebraska Husker bags for my kids for Christmas so I will get lots of practice with one pattern that I can use later. I also have to make 2 more quilts for the gkids and have many things to finish up. I just need to learn to prioritize my time. I bought more fabric on my last Hobby Lobby trip that has a perfect print for FMQ, and a soft vinyl that would make a nice purse. No sugarplums, just patterns and pieces of fabric dancing in my head :D
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @nebslp, I'm thinking of the vision board as a tool to (a) help me focus and (b) remind me of possibilities. I haven't started it yet, but I'm hoping it provides a bit of "self-encouragement," if that makes sense. It might wind up just being a reminder of things I like, positive quotes, etc.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, I noticed you added reading to your November goals. What have you been reading lately? (I know you mentioned a book by Pema Chodron at one point.)

Does anyone else have any book recommendations? I usually read mysteries and thrillers, but enjoy branching out sometimes. In December I usually like to read something Christmas-related. For example, M.C. Beaton's "A Highland Christmas" or one of Anne Perry's Christmas novels. I'm trying to remember what I read last year; it was more lighthearted. I think it may have been by Debbie Macomber.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017, I noticed you added reading to your November goals. What have you been reading lately? (I know you mentioned a book by Pema Chodron at one point.)

Does anyone else have any book recommendations? I usually read mysteries and thrillers, but enjoy branching out sometimes. In December I usually like to read something Christmas-related. For example, M.C. Beaton's "A Highland Christmas" or one of Anne Perry's Christmas novels. I'm trying to remember what I read last year; it was more lighthearted. I think it may have been by Debbie Macomber.

@PKM0515
    Yes, Pema’s book (verrry fast read.)
    I finished the last 1/2 of The Feather Thief!
    I finished the last 1/4 The Bookseller of Kabul!
    Currently, I’m re-reading the first half of The Golem & the Jinni & then will finish it.

My plan is to complete the remaining books I have not finished. I write inside cover whether I want to keep or give away.

Then I will tackle the books I have not yet begun.

I set the timer for 15 mins & often repeat it 3-5 times 😁

I’m finding the reading very helpful in many ways, especially with an afghan, a cup of hot blackberry tea & my cat snuggled on my lap :)

The reading & meditation are my quietest times each day, so I do them before the more active artmaking, exercise, and cleaning.

It’s also definitely helping me decrease my social media, which I think is making me happier, oddly enough.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @PKM0515 Thank you for the reminder about Anne Perry's Christmas novels 📖!! I especially like to listen to her books using audio books from the library. I must put that back onto my holiday radar again. We need to keep stocking up on fun/ happy things during what will no doubt be a different kind of Holiday and Christmas season for all of us.

@MadisonMolly2017 you certainly have a way with words about how to make the simple act of reading into a comforting/ quiet/ wonderful event!!

For me I have to do an active part of my day first, then intermingled with the quieter parts. So I always have to start with some kind of active part. I have tried it the other way and it doesn't have the same effect. My difficulty also is that sometimes I do not think that I have time for my quieter parts as the day goes on as my to-do list takes on a life of their own that was not apparent early in the morning. Thus some of these quieter times quickly fall by the way side. Then I start feeling that vague stressful feeling. I'm still seeking the balance and how to get all the parts to fit back together like a puzzle, in a new and better way for this particular time of my life.

🤠🌺
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017

I'm going to give Pema's book a try. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I'd like to get back to a regular reading schedule. (I think I just found my December "I Will." 😉)

@texasgardner

I love audiobooks, and I love what you wrote about "stocking up on fun/happy things." This is so true and has been on my mind a lot lately.

I'm so happy to read everyone's comments about balance, creating a life we love, etc. Thank you for sharing your ideas and inspiration. 💖
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Here is my first attempt with free motion quilting a real project, not just practice swatches.
    3j9uc24469bu.jpeg
    ng5kz2cdullz.jpeg

Very nice!!! I have a couple of lap quilts that need to be quilted and I've only done straight stitch quilting or stitch-in-the ditch so I'm nervous to try the free motion quilting. I did buy a FMQ foot for my machine though and am going to practice this week on some stash fabric that I don't "love". I'm excited to try it. What kind of shop are you opening? Sounds exciting!!!

@PKM0515 I have not made a vision board either, but I have always wanted to look into how to make one and try it. I am signed up for a Zoom meeting through a weightloss group I belong to where the leader is going to make hers while we make one with her in January 2021. Wine and Vision Boards... I'm really looking forward to it. Did you make one? How did it go? I'd love to hear about it!

Also, I love to read mysteries and thrillers also, but like you I do like the happy Christmas novels this time of year also. Deb Malcomer has good books, but I'd love to hear of any author or book recommendations anyone has for either Christmas themed reading or a good mystery/suspense/thriller books!

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Gosh we are all a bit quiet this week it seems. Hope that everyone is doing ok. I go thru fits and spurts as far as reading. But I also track that to my weight gains as well because I apparently dive completely into the books I read and the real world is no longer a thing. I have not read much since 2016 I think and have quite a few kindle books which I bought (some series) and are just sitting there waiting for me like old friends.

I have never done a vision board but I think it's a great idea. I have a hard time seeing past my nose right now but had some good news at work and no major crisis at the moment so perhaps I can tentatively start thinking about the future. 2019 was a year in which I did the on line dating thing. I actually tried it for a year and then realized that I was happier alone. snort. Go figure. I think sometimes we are programmed from childhood as women to think that we HAVE to have a partner and it's NOT ok to be alone. Bullcocky I say! When I get home from riding in the evening and prepare dinner and take care of the kits and settle down on the couch to watch TV or play on my IPAD I am totally grateful that I can do these things without having to cater to another human. (I may be odd that way but always have been).

Well Zoom meeting central today. Just thought I would stop by and say HI to everyone and chatter a bit.

Summermorecoffeeplease
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Hmm interesting.. when I scroll back I see lots of posts :)

Isn’t reading grand!?

• PKM0515
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB

That wine and vision board meeting sounds like so much fun! I haven't started my board yet, but I've been thinking about things to put on it. I've started, slowly, to go through old magazines; I'm cutting out things that resonate with me.

@SummerSkier

Congrats on the good news at work!

Everyone:

I thought I'd share a few books I like. They aren't new, but they come to mind when I think about books I've really enjoyed.
    • Night of Rain and Stars (Maeve Binchy)
    • Shutter Island (Dennis Lehane)
    • The Ghost Writer (John Harwood)
    • The Woman in the Window (A. J. Finn)
    • Black Rabbit Hall (Eve Chase)
    • The Lightkeepers (Abby Geni)

• nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier And you thought LAST week was pretty quiet here! I kinda forgot about this thread with everything that's been going on this week, but it's always fun to catch up. I'm glad you got good news at work. That's always a good thing! My thoughts on being single...I told my girls when they were growing up and now I tell my granddaughters, you might WANT a boyfriend, and you may HAVE a boyfriend, but you certainly don't NEED a boyfriend. My girls grew up to be very strong and independent so I'm hoping the same for my granddaughters. For me, being alone doesn't mean being lonely at all!

I seems books has been a hot topic. Thanks to all for the ideas. I have so many on my Overdrive that are on hold or my wish list, I don't dare add too many more. I did add James Clears Atomic Habits to my wish list today though. I usually try to get audiobooks that I can listen to when I sew or clean. I like ebooks for times I need lots of steps and I can walk around in the house and read at the same time. I am currently reading one of my physical books, Cheyenne Autumn. It's not an easy read for several reasons and I manage to read 10-15 pages a day, so it will take about a month to finish. @MadisonMolly2017 Yes, reading is grand! I have learned so much about history since I started gobbling up all the historical novels I could find a few years ago.

@texasgardnr I wish I was more of a morning go-getter like you seem to be. I so understand that vague stressful feeling about finding balance that you mentioned.

@PackerFanInGB Have you tried FMQ yet? It's not a skill that you perfect overnight but every time you try it, you will most likely see progress. I plan to open an Etsy shop once I have enough things to post. I'm still struggling with part of my shop name and nailing down my brand so I'm not ready yet! But I am working on products, so that's progress.

@PKM0515 How's the vision board coming along? I bet you're having fun searching for the things that inspire you and make you smile.

Have a good weekend, everyone :)