Weigh In Nov 11 - 17

Lastchancelj
Lastchancelj Posts: 1,340 Member
LW 231.5
TW 227.9
What I think it is: 230.3

Before you congratulate me - I think my scale is off - I'm not ill and I ate yesterday, so a 2.4 drop overnight is not a normal so I added yesterday's weight, which I believe is more accurate. I've been fairly good at eating in and not ordering out quite as much.

Monday night I received some tragic news from my sister during our weekly call. My step niece's 20 yo son died in a car accident on Sunday evening. Monday afternoon, my niece began notifying the family and friends. It was raining and they were on their way back to AZ from San Diego during a storm, they hydroplaned, lost control of the vehicle and overturned. He passed while undergoing treatment at the hospital and another passenger died on scene. I wish he did not have to suffer for that hour or three or four. He was a great kid. Just finished his mission and started college this past fall. So much life ahead of him. Anyway, I had to call my son and hear his voice and texted my daughter and SIL to ensure they were all well. You never know when the Lord is going to call them away. I can't even imagine what my niece is going through. I believe she's still in California, so when she gets home, I don't know how to help her. I'm sure her Ward will be flooding her with meal trains and home care (she's very strong in her faith and in her church).

I went into the office yesterday to train a new employee. Man that is exhausting. I will work very closely with her and was pleased as she was asking in depth questions. I planned on a 2-3 hour session and we were at it for almost 5 hours. I am very hopeful she will fit and be effective. Hoping my radar is on point. I will still miss my friend who once had the position and is now in OK. :(

Both of you will laugh when I say it's a tad bit chilly here....45 overnight and high of 73... I am now wearing short sleeve shirts and either capris or yoga pants. I only have a couple of pairs of each that fit, so I best get focused before I have to spend money buying myself more for early Christmas presents...haha.

Hope you both are doing well.

Replies

• SarahMaxx
    SarahMaxx Posts: 1,971 Member
    edited November 2020
    LW: 139.2
    TW: 138.4

Lois, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your great-nephew. It is so very hard to lose people who should have so much life ahead. I lost a nephew from leukemia when he was 18.

I know what you mean about hesitating to put down a weight. Yesterday I weighed a full pound more than I do today. I have learned that my weight always swings 2-3 pounds and so I just keep trying to get the low point a little lower. But the low point doesn't always show up on weigh-in day, and if weigh in had been yesterday, I would have recorded a gain.

I think I managed to move the low end down a little because we had five days of glorious warm, sunny weather and so I was able to do the hilly outdoor route five days in a row. I think we were actually warmer than you, Lois, which is hard to believe. It was low 70s yesterday. But overnight, the rain and cooler temps came in, so my activity today will have to be the mall or the treadmill.

I'm actually happy to see the rain. It's hard for me to get up to my office to do paperwork when it's so nice outside. Today I hope to pay bills, work on my resume, and do some more financial facts gathering so we can see a planner.

Hubby had his virtual appointment with the doc yesterday and he did mention the pain in his legs and the feeling that his leg muscles need to be stretched. She said it could be a number of things and asked him to drop by their offices to have some blood drawn. We should hear something in a day or two. She also told him that he has to start testing his blood sugar more often. Sometimes his legs are okay for walking, but his blood sugar level is not. Of course, I walk without him, and sometimes even prefer that, but he needs to walk for the health benefits, too.

Another thing that I think is helping me to nudge down a bit is deciding earlier in the day what we are having for dinner. I can then log it ahead of time (although I usually have to do some corrections afterward), which helps prevent those end-of-day surprises. And since I'm not working, we are eating earlier. When I was working, it was not uncommon for us to eat dinner around 8:30 or 9 p.m.

Sheesh, sounds like the tree cutting was quite a workout. Good for muscles and calorie burning. :smile: I hope you have not had any more headaches. Have you had your appointment with the neurologist? Hopefully he or she did not or will not find anything of concern and you'll have the peace-of-mind of knowing that everything was checked. I've certainly had to learn to live with the fact that sometimes we experience something for some unknown reason. I'm always on guard about my face, and every now and then I'll have a little extra redness or puffiness or even a little numbness crop up, but so far, no big flareups like I've had other late summer/early falls.

Well, the day is speeding by and I need to focus on the paperwork I don't want to do. :s Hope you both have a good day.
  • GaGasheesh
    GaGasheesh Posts: 1,127 Member
    LW: 131.8
    TW: 131.6

Dang it. Monday morning my weight was lower. Oh well. I did a heavy strength workout on Monday. I'm still sore from it, so that could bump my weight up. I haven't been logging very well though. I usually only eat two meals at most, and I just "guesstimate" the calories. As long as each is around 600 calories by my guess I don't worry too much. But, that isn't going to get me to 120 - 125 range, so I need to log food my food better.

Congratulations to both of you on your reductions! And, Sarah, your walking the hilly route so often has got to be working well for your conditioning and calorie burn. I'm waiting to hear the details of your strength / resistance training, ;) ! I'll have you know I did 3 sets of 15 reps of push-ups on Monday! :p I hope you're in contact with your sister soon. My sister has been ill also, so I know what you mean. In fact, she's had very serious issues lately. I'll tell you about that another day. I'll have more information later this week after she sees a doctor.

I found that I feel better (with the vertigo) when I take a decongestant. I've been taking one since my kids were here at the suggestion of my Oregon daughter who has similar issues. I think it's related to some ear congestion or something. I read about a vestibular migraine, and that seems like what it was. Getting a negative MRI (no strokes) was a relief. My doctor called to say she had referred me to a neurologist she likes and that HE would call me to set the appointment. I haven't heard anything, and I'm not anxious to see a doctor in person right now so I'm not calling him . . our Covid numbers are through the roof!! The hospitals are full in the Salt Lake City area. The University of Utah Hospital is over capacity. It's scary. We've personally sworn off even going to the store . . back to doing online ordering. Hubby had ordered face shields, and when he goes anywhere (Home Depot for light bulbs today) he wears the shield AND a mask. Our daughter here went to Park City to have a distanced coffee date with a girlfriend a week ago Monday, and yesterday she got a text that this friend's mother had gotten Covid. She was very concerned because her friend sees her mother almost every day, and she's not very good about the rules . . thinking that their homes are in a rural area. Our daughter went immediately to get a test. It was a saliva test, and she's waiting the 48 hours for the online results. In the meantime, she has to be distanced from her fiancé because he shares custody of his daughter, and daughter goes to school, and the daughter's mother is a physical therapist! It's crazy and scary times. I can't wait for the vaccine!

Lois, I'm happy to hear that your MIL is happy there, and speaks well of you. <3 You're really doing God's work caring for an elderly person. How did your hubby do on his testing. I think it's Tai Kwon Do, right? My daughter has a black belt in Tai Kwon Do. We had to travel to California years back when she tested . . it was excruciating to see! Very tough.

It's snowing and cold here, so I'm off to the treadmill to just walk out the soreness, lol.
  • Lastchancelj
    Lastchancelj Posts: 1,340 Member
    Got a 1 mile walk after work
  • SarahMaxx
    So nice to log in to plug in my breakfast and see two new posts. Sheesh, I weighed 139.4 on Tuesday and then 138.4 on Wednesday for no reason I can ascertain. So I think we have to expect some ebb and flow, especially after working muscles, as I've heard that causes some fluid retention in said muscles. Your're probably the same or less.

I did some tricep and bicep exercises using the 5 pound weights last night after I did my final half hour on the TM. :) Most of my steps yesterday came from walking in the mall. The only good thing about the stores closing down as their leases are up is that it's pretty much a ghost town. It's a large mall, and I didn't go into the one anchor store that is open (Macy's) so there may have been people in there, but I saw very few people in the interior. Most were also walking and everyone was wearing a mask and staying as far apart as possible. Soon I expect that I won't even go there, however, since our rates are going up some, too. I think of you every time I hear the news from Utah and send prayers your way.

Good for you Lois for that after work walk. I know you hesitate to not include your MIL, but you need some time to be alone and move at YOUR pace and breath fresh air and just relax.

The rain continues today, so I hope to get more paperwork done than I did yesterday (got a little accomplished, but it was a little). Sheesh, you and Kelly are both already seeing snow! Although dark and rainy, our temps are still above normal here. You live in such a pretty setting, I'm sure the snow coming down just adds to that. Please let us know what happens with your daughter's test. It's so hard on young people who want to see friends but are at the mercy of not just the friend, but all the people that friend comes in contact with. :'(

And mentioning Covid, I got an email from a former coworker yesterday who works in the policy department of CDC's Office of the Director. She asked if I am working and said if not, they may need my help with the Covid emergency response. Nothing sure. Just checking in. I told her that the timing was great because after taking a break, I'm ready to work again part-time or temporary full-time, especially given that the days are growing short and cold weather is coming in. Since I worked some on Covid before I left, that would be an ideal situation for me, although I don't think they would pay anything close to my full time salary as a Health Comm lead. Cross your fingers for me. But we keep having costs go up with my long-term care going up 80%, our docs going concierge, and all of the regular insurance costs also going up at the first of the year. So some extra income of any type would be welcomed. I just learned yesterday that the glitch with the United Healthcare website cost me my chance to take cobra dental insurance. I could probably fight that, but it wasn't great insurance anyway, and it's hardly worth the effort.
  • SarahMaxx
    This job thing is making me a bit crazy. It seems that every time a former coworker or friend contacts me about a job, it's one where they needed someone yesterday. The former coworker I mentioned contacted me again yesterday to say her contact needed a resume NOW. Literally, it was all caps.

And I had not taken time to work much on my resume yet, but I sent one that was not in that great of a shape. Later I realized that I had removed the phone number and email address that are no longer viable and had not replaced them. So I had do some circling around. I found out this job is with a different office in CDC than the one I was formerly working for. Then today, another former coworker who is also a friend called me and said someone in a totally different office who used to work with us had contacted her and asked her to contact me about yet another position. I said okay, I would get them a resume tomorrow. Then a few minutes ago, I got a call back saying they want it today. Good god! I do not want to jump into some high stress mess. And both offices sound like they're in dire straights. :s

Because I was working online and on the phone so much today, I have yet to walk and have only the steps I've gotten from walking around in the house and walking from my car into the post office to drop off a birthday card I forgot to get in the mail earlier this week. A friend's birthday is coming up Sunday, so I'm afraid it will be late. And now it's going on 5 p.m. and it's beginning to get dark, so it's either risk the mall again or hit the treadmill. We do have some KN95 masks now and I don't get within 10 feet of anyone at the mall, but I still feel a little nervous about just being out even though I didn't see a single soul without a mask yesterday. I talked to another old coworker (not one of the ones mentioned above) who said that in Atlanta--home of CDC no less--she sees lots of people out without masks. They have an option of home schooling or sending their kids to school and although she is struggling to work and help her kids with virtual classes, she's afraid to take the at-school option.

Well time to make a decision. I hope you've both had a good Friday and that all is well with you and yours. Thanks for letting me dump a little anxiety here. :)
  • SarahMaxx
    Well the treadmill won out on Friday and I was able to walk outside yesterday and today. Yesterday, it was chilly and I needed a fairly heavy jacket and gloves. Today started out chilly, but a front came in from the south bringing much warmer temps, so hubby and I both walked and I wore a light jacket, but he was fine in long sleeves. That same front is bringing rain in later tonight, so tomorrow will be indoor walking once again.

I've been fairly good with intake, but I think the chili hubby made on Friday is high in sodium, because I went from 138.0 on Friday to 139.0 on Saturday and then 139.4 today. I'm not going to get too stressed about it because I've been logging and the total kcals are around 1200-1300, which doesn't support a 1.4 pound gain. Darned weight is fickle. :s

Yesterday, I also had a problem getting my fitbit to sync. I saw that my last sync had been around 6 p.m. the day before. I went through all the steps I've taken before with techs and then did the chat thing with their support. That tech said the operating system on my old computer is no longer supported and that some updates they've made may be incompatible with Window 7. So I told him I have a new laptop with Windows 10 and that I'd switch over to it in the next few days. But then lo and behold, I looked at the dashboard again about midnight when I was getting ready to power everything down and there was the data for both days up to the hour. Go figure. I still need to get that new computer going. It has been in a drawer since July! :p

Hope everyone has had a good weekend. Sheesh, I hope your daughter got good news about her test. She has been on my mind.