Replies

• astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    @donna25trinity The gum chewing is a great idea! If you were to look in my food diary, you'd see that my headings are: Eat Like A Queen, Eat Like A Princess, and Eat Like a Pauper. Why? When I first got this idea, these helped "sell" me to the fact that I was special. How? I quit snacking while cooking and at other times by having a beautiful plate, silverware, and glass to eat from when I had a meal, just like royalty. It worked!

YES
    YES
    YES

@bellesouth18 Indeed, I keep a canister of eclipse gum on the counter. They have a variety of mints; Spearmint, Peppermint, Winterfrost that I have seen and bought. Target supposedly has "candy cane" and Eclipse website claims Peach Mint, Apple Mint and Lemon Mint, but I have never seen those and not so sure I will be looking for them. Have a store pickup at target tomorrow, maybe I'll risk a few extra minutes and add "candy cane" to my options.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Argh, just opened a box from my sister. Specialty shop chocolate!...... Fortunately, hubby just walked off with one whole block, but he told me the other two were "mine". After the halloween leftover fiasco this week, I'll need thoughtful planning to deal with these (no nutritional labels). I'm thinking weighing/portioning on a scale and then working them into my tracking.

With only 1 pass remaining, and xmas still to come, I am expecting winner's circle to be out, but I am trying to not resort to typical "all or nothing" behavior for me and say "I might as well be out for the rest of the challenge" and engaging in a two week binge.

Hey @SModa61
    I read a book-forgot the title that helped me in this arena...
    78% of Americans are overweight or obese.
    We are living in a hostile environment.
    So, are we going to chose to do what prolongs our health/longevity or succumb to the environment?

I asked students not to give me food presents. I suggested they make me a card or a piece of art. I tossed any food items after they left.

I told a good friend of mine not to bring me a cake for my birthday- explained it’s like alcohol to an alcoholic for me - she brought it anyway. I was furious and dug into it standing at counter. Ate a thin piece. Stopped. Realized I’d eat the whole thing over a few days, that it would call to me and I’d feel queasy. Asked hubby if he wanted any. Nope. Tossed it & went for a walk, a long walk to think about a longterm friendship who did not respect my words after I shared very personal info.

If a food “calls to me” and I know it will not be be good for me, I toss it. And think: alcoholic analogy (if someone gave them a quart of gin, they’d pour it down the drain) and “hostile food environment.”

Sorry for ramble but I hope it helps.

#Health First
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,327 Member
    Options
    Date: 11/17
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? ✅
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? ✅
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? ✅

PASS: 2/3 (for my own accountability)
  • JTreasures
    JTreasures Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,887 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Everything you wrote is spot on. Fortunately, I will say that my sister did not send a "volume" of edibles and I am thankful for that. But it is true that she does not comprehend my issues vs hers. Food is not something she thinks about, so I don't think it occurs to her.

Another point I will share in comparing food and alcohol is that a food-o-holic actually has a different situation than the alcoholic. The alcoholic has the option of full abstention and can avoid alcohol and therefore can eliminate it as a trigger. On the other hand, the food-o-holic, must eat to survive and therefore faces this challenge and potential trigger multiple times a day. I remember learning that, and realizing how true and challenging healthy eating can be for some of us.

Bravo for dumping the "hostile foods". I have certainly done that successfully at times, and less successfully other times. <3
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Yes to all 3
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,066 Member
    Options
    @donna25trinity The gum chewing is a great idea! If you were to look in my food diary, you'd see that my headings are: Eat Like A Queen, Eat Like A Princess, and Eat Like a Pauper. Why? When I first got this idea, these helped "sell" me to the fact that I was special. How? I quit snacking while cooking and at other times by having a beautiful plate, silverware, and glass to eat from when I had a meal, just like royalty. It worked!

YES
    YES
    YES

@bellesouth18 I love this and ur soooo right! There hve been times i hve sat down to a meal only to realise that ive consumed almost all my calories standing, such a waste! From here on out i shall also eat like a queen! Xox

@SModa61 i tried the gum whilst serving both buba and i lunch and it worked a treat, no nibbling! Yum candy cane sounds devine!

• GigiDoma
    GigiDoma Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Date: 12/17
    Exercise: Yes 60 mins treadmill ( burned 326 calories )
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Pass Days 2 left
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes. A good day!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? YES (outdoor walk before bed...hope I can sleep)
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? NO
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? NO

No binge, but a busy day. I was planning to make fajitas for dinner but then realized something needed to marinate for 2 hours and instead had spaghetti. It's hard to stay within calories when eating spaghetti, but, on the other hand, I didn't have lunch because I was pretty busy. So, who knows....maybe I was within my calories for the day.
  • molly3210
    molly3210 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3 for Thursday
    Work was too hectic to eat, so I'm under calories for the first time in weeks.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Exercise: shoveling snow in two sessions for 90 minutes; slow walking over 8 hours, disinfecting public areas due to the virus, carrying a few heavy items on purpose for upper body strength. Worked on walking meditations.

Best surprise of the day: This morning I was almost in despair over my driveway, blocked with 4 feet of concrete-like snow from the snow plow, went inside to rest before I tackled it, and when I went back out discovered a wonderful neighbor cleared the whole thing.

Calorie budget: yes
    Tracked: yes
  • alaskamutts278
    alaskamutts278 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • Hulya_79
    Hulya_79 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    December 17

Exercise: No
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 Everything you wrote is spot on. Fortunately, I will say that my sister did not send a "volume" of edibles and I am thankful for that. But it is true that she does not comprehend my issues vs hers. Food is not something she thinks about, so I don't think it occurs to her.

Another point I will share in comparing food and alcohol is that a food-o-holic actually has a different situation than the alcoholic. The alcoholic has the option of full abstention and can avoid alcohol and therefore can eliminate it as a trigger. On the other hand, the food-o-holic, must eat to survive and therefore faces this challenge and potential trigger multiple times a day. I remember learning that, and realizing how true and challenging healthy eating can be for some of us.

Bravo for dumping the "hostile foods". I have certainly done that successfully at times, and less successfully other times. <3

I agree re: differences alcohol & food.
    Now that I’m feeling better... the point of the book is we have to be “on guard” and take some actions that others will judge. The cake incident was one time I did that. No more compliant ok I’ll eat it- she bought it.

And I keep remembering obesity/overweight is a “chronic relapsing disease” - so yes we do need to be on guard.

My friend is lifelong attractive normal-thin who had no issues with food. She, too, has no idea.

I can’t change her - or anyone, but I CAN decide what I will eat & what I won’t :)
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. Treadmill 39 mins / 2.1 miles
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.

0/3 passes used
  • ForLangston
    ForLangston Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ✅✅✅