Discussion about Building for a Half Maration

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077870-dead-legs

Hey, this discussion on Long Distance Runners is full of win about what a training program should do and why. Very meaty and I thought it would be helpful as we all assess the training programs that fit our needs now and in the future.

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That was very interesting. Thanks for linking it here.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Interesting reading.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    One bit confused me, it said that your long run should be 1/3 of your weekly mileage. Is that only for people training for longer distances and running more than 3 times a week?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    That's a good discussion. Wow, I only have 6 weeks until my first half marathon and I haven't been running at all this month. I probably have a week or two before I can start running again. This should be interesting.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Good discussion - not that I'm going for a half marathon any year soon but still :)

PS: How come running people can all have sensible, balanced discussions without flaming someone for asking a question yet if you tried the same with virtually any other subject on MFP it's like an invitation to be ridiculed by some of the responders? Maybe that's why I settled on running as my main exercise lol
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Good discussion - not that I'm going for a half marathon any year soon but still :)

PS: How come running people can all have sensible, balanced discussions without flaming someone for asking a question yet if you tried the same with virtually any other subject on MFP it's like an invitation to be ridiculed by some of the responders? Maybe that's why I settled on running as my main exercise lol

Excellent observation! Maybe because in weight loss radically different things work for different people, whereas in running the mechanics are pretty much the same? Or maybe it's just part of the zen of being a runner. :-)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    One bit confused me, it said that your long run should be 1/3 of your weekly mileage. Is that only for people training for longer distances and running more than 3 times a week?

I've always heard that it should be half your run, but it sounds like the formula changes when you get to longer distances (like the 10% rule no longer applies either).
  • likitisplit
    Options

Excellent observation! Maybe because in weight loss radically different things work for different people, whereas in running the mechanics are pretty much the same? Or maybe it's just part of the zen of being a runner. :-)

I ask myself this all the time. I think it's because, in running, you can let the running teach the person what they need to know.

Like, when you get somebody in the C25k board who is consistently pushes too hard and you tell them to slow down, but they ignore you. So you let the program and their body give them the answers. When they slow down, they thank you for your advice and pass it on to others. Almost never fails.

The one exception to this rule are some of the responses I see to women speaking of feeling vulnerable while running, either because of the time or because of the behavior of others. While it tends to be men not understanding the vigilance that most women have of their surroundings all the time and everywhere, I see a lot of women judging others harshly too.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    This was helpful. I've decided I'm going to register for a half marathon October 20th. So I have 8 weeks, scared and nervous but WTH.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I ask myself this all the time. I think it's because, in running, you can let the running teach the person what they need to know.

Like, when you get somebody in the C25k board who is consistently pushes too hard and you tell them to slow down, but they ignore you. So you let the program and their body give them the answers. When they slow down, they thank you for your advice and pass it on to others. Almost never fails.

The one exception to this rule are some of the responses I see to women speaking of feeling vulnerable while running, either because of the time or because of the behavior of others. While it tends to be men not understanding the vigilance that most women have of their surroundings all the time and everywhere, I see a lot of women judging others harshly too.

Excellent point about their bodies eventually showing them the truth!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I just want to ditto this. I've spent 20 years in the rape crisis movement, and there is reason for the fear and vigilance. Some of us judge out of our own belief/need to have it not be possible that it could ever happen to me/us. Yet, truth is, we're more vulnerable than men on the same route, same day, same time, same outfit, and so on. A little fear is healthy, normal, and appropriately reactive. I wish, though, that it wasn't necessary, valid, or sometimes paralyzing for some, making it impossible for them to feel safe as runners.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I just want to ditto this. I've spent 20 years in the rape crisis movement, and there is reason for the fear and vigilance. Some of us judge out of our own belief/need to have it not be possible that it could ever happen to me/us. Yet, truth is, we're more vulnerable than men on the same route, same day, same time, same outfit, and so on. A little fear is healthy, normal, and appropriately reactive. I wish, though, that it wasn't necessary, valid, or sometimes paralyzing for some, making it impossible for them to feel safe as runners.

I haven't noticed posts like that yet but then I haven't ventured much further than here and the C25K board so far.

I guess I'm very lucky where I live in that although I'm not the most confident person in the world, I have absolutely no fear about going out running on my own in the early mornings through the woods and trails near my house. When it is dark in the mornings I'll switch to the roads with streetlights but only so I don't trip over more tree roots.

If I still lived in London however, I really couldn't see myself running in one of the parks early mornings, daylight or not unless I had a running pal and I can fully understand how someone could let paranoia creep in when there is a justifiable risk to start with.

I didn't even use to take my phone with me but after my epic fall the other day my husband now insists as, in his words, not mine, "you don't want to be one of those bodies found by a dog walker if you fall in a ditch next time". He's a keeper alright. :grumble:
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

This is one of the reasons I run with my dog. No, he would be much use as a guard dog being very friendly and 17 lbs, but he's an extra complication with teeth and a loud bark.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I don't worry much running in the day. I split my time between Toronto and NYC, so very populated areas. I run around my neighborhood or nearby parks and trails. Generally I avoid running at night. I just don't feel comfortable doing so and I stay away from some paths that don't get much traffic regardless of time of day. Now that fall and winter is approaching and I have ramped up my miles, I'm not sure how I plan to approach this. I wasn't running last year so I didn't have to deal with the issue of less daylight. I am considering joining a run group so that I don't have to be alone.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The best researched and most insightful information I've come across on the topic of personal safety is the snopes article where Barbara mikkleson debunks common claims. http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/rape.asp

Here's more actual facts: http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/myths-that-put-women-at-risk

While women are more vulnerable, I begin to think that a lot of the "advice" we get is actually subtle victim blaming
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options

While women are more vulnerable, I begin to think that a lot of the "advice" we get is actually subtle victim blaming

Agreed. The fear is normal, yet the advice is often unhelpful and blaming.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I wonder if I could do an excel spreadsheet to assess risk: Age, time of day, lonely/well trafficked, we'd be assuming attacker not known to the victim, so that automatically cuts risk by 75%, etc... I'm 41, so that cuts my risk by 94%.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is a military thing, being out by myself doesn't scare me. And I am in one of the most crime filled cities in America (Memphis). I think body language plays a lot into it. If someone acts scared and meek, they are going to be taken as such and predators are good at reading body language.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    I live in Scotland so that would reduce my risk by 98%, add in my age and the risk would be nonexistent, lol. I'm lucky to live in a safe area, and a low traffic area, so running alone in the dark isn't a problem for me.

Getting back to the original topic, I was talking to my resident marathon runner at work today, he's running a half marathon on Sunday and was telling me that you don't feel the benefit of your long runs till 2 weeks later, so your program should peak 2 weeks before your race. Might be useful information for anyone with a big race coming up.