Meals for Iron or Potassium

Hey-oh, I'm Stewy. Long time lurker and hoarder of recipes.

Does anyone have recipes that have lots of iron or potassium? I've noticed that I struggle to get nearly enough of those on a daily basis, so I'm looking to add a heavy hitter to my dinner rotation. I have 2 picky eaters, but I'm not opposed to meal prepping for just myself since they're content with PB&J sandwiches for all of their meals. Lol :D

Anyone else find certain vitamins or minerals difficult to get enough of? I don't want to just rely on supplements.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• I'm in the same boat with the low potassium intake. I will post a recipe as soon as I find something worthy.
  • stewykins43_
    stewykins43_ Posts: 58 Member
    @jocelynejauregui5057 Everyone always preaches about bananas, but the flavor fatigue is real! Lol So far the best I have found is adding steamed or roasted broccoli to our side choices, with a sprinkle of cheese after plating for the picky ones.
    I tried spinach for a while too (I like, they don't), but most recipes for it are bland as heck or smothered in cheese and/or cream. If I happened to buy it, it makes a couple days worth of omelets though!
  • Seregelf
    Seregelf Posts: 7 Member
    I usually drink a V8 if I need potassium, depends on if you can handle the sodium though.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Avocados are incredibly nutritious, tasty, and unique.
    Avocados are a good source of potassium. One cup (150 grams) of mashed avocado provides 1,120 mg of potassium. They’re also high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and very rich in fiber, antioxidants, vitamins C, K, and B6, folate, and pantothenic acid.

Half of a filet of salmon (178 grams) provides 684 mg of potassium.

White potatoes are one of the best food sources of potassium available. A large baked potato ( 299 grams) provides 1,600 mg of potassium. Since potassium is found in both the flesh and skin of a potato, it’s most beneficial to cook them washed and unpeeled. Also rich in potassium are baked sweet potatoes. One of these large vegetables (235 grams) contains 1,110 mg.

Just two wedges of watermelon (about 1/8 of a melon or 572 grams) will give you 640 mg of potassium.