Determined December!

Options

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,772 Member
    Options
    Mihani...feel for you regarding a bad day at work! My interview is tomorrow.

I am really not that excited about it because I don’t like the schedule I like

I like my schedule now working my full-time between Friday and Monday getting off at two on Monday going back on Friday

I love that schedule and I fell into it by accident and now I am just in love with it it works so well for me

But I have a zoom interview tomorrow with a company that I really like it’s just that I don’t wanna work Monday through Friday ever again at 72 years old
  • magic71755
    Options
    TIMINDO

I watch a lot of high carb Hannah maximum weight loss YouTubes

Get a lot of ideas from her and also a lot of motivation I like her simple style she’s very low-key

Not over produced!

• magic71755
    Options
    Zoom interview at 10.

Boy all this work on being so pure and I am losing so slowly. Really discouraging!

Coffee
    Oatmeal
    Mason Jar Salads. Have a lot of produce... and it sure stays fresh in the jars when packed tightly and vacuum sealed
    Tostadas for dinner!

Harry and David Pear for dessert.

HAGD!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    emiwog68zxaj.gif

Good morning, peeps!

I am so impressed at all of us, working away at getting and staying healthy!

@magic71755 - congratulations on your weight loss progress! Your menu from yesterday sounded great! Yum to the bok choy. I should pick some of that up on my next shopping trip. It has been a while since I ate any. And "ooooh!" to that Harry and David pear. I had one of those years ago, and it was a revelation. I had never realized how amazing a pear could be! I have had a pear tree in my yard, but those pears were never so tender and sweet. Thanks for the Chipotle Salad recipe. I am going to try that!

@Mihani - I am sending you a virtual hug. Between holidays and work, you have lots going on. I eat a lot of "same ol' " too. My big change of late has been getting into eggplant. I add it into the mix for my midday bowl of steamed veggies.

@tlmindo - Welcome to the conversation! Pure Barre looks great!

@bisky - I am thinking of you and hoping you are well!

I am listening to a plant-related podcast that relates to gut health this morning -- Dr Will Bulsiewicz speaking on the Plant Strong podcast. If you find it helpful and inspiring to read/listen to things like this, you might enjoy this:
    https://www.plantstrongpodcast.com/blog/drb-fiber-fueled
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    Hope your interview went well, Magic. Tostadas sound great! I looked for the baked (oil-free) tostadas at the store last week and they were out. I think you just make your own with corn tortillas if I recall correctly?

Austin, thanks for the virtual hug and back at ya! OMG I miss hugs so much. I went out for the first time since January and met two friends at a bar/restaurant for a drink last Friday. It was so lovely to just get out and see people. We were very careful and had seats to ourselves well distanced from others but it wasn't the least bit crowded. It was so hard for all of us not to hug each other! I felt a little guilty even going out to be honest.

I love eggplant, but I don't make it too often. Sometimes I just throw it in my stir-fry with other veggies.

Today...
    B - ezekiel toast and an apple plus some leftover stir-fry veggies
    L - big ol' salad (I worked at home today so I had time to chew my salad... usually I eat that at dinner)
    D - had lunch late so probably just more leftover stir-fry veggies and might make a pot of brown rice

I really need to get back to doing batch cooking on weekends and freezing my own meals and lots of soups. So good to have in the winter especially.

Speaking of stir-fry... I seem to have settled into a pretty good routine now with salads and stir-fry (no oil of course), Dr. McD soups, fruit, plus oats or ezekiel toast for breakfast. I am perfectly content with this and I get plenty of variety in my veggies and greens week to week.

Sometimes I have a scoop of plant based protein powder shaken with water (usually Amazing Grass brand) or a non-dairy yogurt which seem like a big treat when the rest of my meals are simple. I also splurge on a frozen entree now and then like Amy's tofu scramble or Sweet Earth General Tso Tofu. I prefer my own homemade with absolutely no oil, but with work so crazy I just don't cook often these days. I haven't got on the scale lately but I put on a freshly laundered pair of jeans this morning and they were loose so something good is happening! Gotta get rid of the covid 15 plus the 20 that I had to lose pre-covid.

Oh and Magic... when you are not far from goal weight you can't really expect big losses and we all have more trouble with metabolism as we get older. I think you are amazing eating so well and taking such good care of yourself. And you've kept cancer at bay for all these years. You rock!
  • magic71755
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thanks for all the support sweet peas!

Interview went great but the salary was less than what I am making now and they wouldn’t budge on working a four day week so done with that.

Coffee
    Herbal tea
    Birch Benders plant waffle pancake mix
    Soup...BETTER THAN BOUILLON...mushrooms spinach and lotus rice ramen
    Dinner tostadas OR more soup
    HAD 🍐

Love ❤️

• Mihani
    Options
    Sorry the potential job didn't work out Magic. Grass is always greener right?

I felt good today... work was busy as always but I didn't feel as stressed. I did my mindfulness practice last night. Coincidence? I think not. LOL

B - ezekiel toast, plant protein powder shaken with water
    L - Dr. McD soup and an apple with a smidge of PB
    D - big ol' salad... I really never get tired of salads!

• magic71755
    Options
    Well gosh darn it. I wrote a huge message and it’s all gone.

I’ll write it again later but I just want to tell Mihani great job and having a good day at work!

🕎🎄🌟❤️🕎🎄🌟❤️
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    mnvs0srbxp7b.jpg

Happy Thursday, plant-based friends!

Magic, it is great to hear you sounding so chipper. It's nice that you got an interview with the other company, even if they don't offer what you want.

Mihani, hurray to those jeans being loose right out of the dryer! That's an achievement, especially during the end of year crunch you have!

I am doing well on food today, and plan to wrap up well:
    B: coffee and cashew milk
    L: steamed spinach and navy beans with tomatoes; steamed veggie bowl (eggplant, zucchini, mushroom) with sliced grape tomatoes and spices; steamed butternut, turnip and carrot with some diced apple; little bit of almond butter & gojis
    S: apple slices and a few cashews
    D (planned): big salad with homemade dressing (maybe a warm broccoli & mustard dressing tonight?)

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • magic71755
    Options
    Good Morning my sweet peas!

Thanks so much, Austin, for that vote of confidence. Will keep that close to me as I head in to the storm today...MY JOB.

Now, don't get me wrong...so many pluses!

3 miles from home
    dental
    two weeks vacay
    five days sick
    car allowance if you lease new Cadillac
    A JOB I CAN PHYSICALLY DO...HUGE!
    And I like 99% of the people I work with.

The1% is my bug a boo...and they are truly trying to get me fired. I had about an hour's conversation with my childhood and still BFF the other day.

We decided...I will be ever so cooperative regarding anything they need for work...that really is how I operate anyway.

I do not have to be sicken sweet to them...in fact as long as I am not rude, I just keep my conversation with them to the bare minimum. Do not give them any type of ammo to do me in...and really, THEY ARE DOING THEIR BEST TO DO JUST THAT.

There is ONE MAJOR POT STIRER who sits right next to me...SO ... THIS IS KEY...do not give HER material with which to stir the pot...NO GOSSIPING.

Go in, be on time, do my job. And boom, that's it.

More later...will get back to you after work. Grateful I am still working...still have a paycheck...thanks for listening.

Later, dollies.
  • cairynskye
    cairynskye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Oregon! A few months ago I read How Not to Die and started researching whole foods plant-based eating. I have always been focused on eating in a healthy manner, so even though my cholesterol had risen from just high to very high at 270, I was sure I was fine. While watching some of the documentaries, I kept seeing people who had dangerously high cholesterol that was lower than mine. I decided that perhaps, at age 70, it was time to try out an even more "radical" way of eating. Even to the point of giving up my favorites, like Dubliner cheese and pickle sandwiches. Six weeks later, the first week of December, I had my lipid levels checked. My total cholesterol had dropped to 242 (still high, but it's going down) and my LDL had dropped from 204 (!) to 148. Also still too high, but I'm thrilled to see what's happening in just this short time. As an added bonus, my A1c dropped from 5.8 (pre-diabetes territory) to a normal 5.4. As an extra added bonus, my weight is slowly going down. Fortunately, I love all the foods I'm eating, so the transition hasn't been terrible. Happy to find this group!
  • magic71755
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Oh yay..someone close to my age! I’m 72!

Love seeing our group grow!

Your numbers are so impressive, CAIRY!

Keep up the fabulous work!

All is going well at work but food is on the convenience side!

I stayed in bed for two days because I was coughing a little bit and I wanted to make sure that I stayed warm and cozy in bed so I didn’t do any food prep

Coffee
    Birch Benders plant waffle
    Gardein Frozen meal in my HOT LOGIC
    Jimmy John veggie Sam
    Pear with LML after work!

• Mihani
    Options
    Welcome cairynskye! Wow, some excellent improvements in your lab results. I enjoyed How Not to Die and Dr. Greger's engaging writing style. I have the cookbook also but haven't tried many of the recipes yet. I love hearing about people having dramatic changes from WFPB... always inspiring.

Magic, glad you are feeling better now and good for you taking time to get some R&R.

I forgot to post last night. Worn out from the week. Not sure why I got up at 5:15 on a Saturday but I might go back to bed for a bit. I have to set up my new computer today and get lots of work done this weekend. Plus laundry, set up salads and make salad dressing, and make a batch of stir-fry. Probably a bit of housework as well, but I accept the house will be somewhat neglected until after the first of the year. The next two weeks will be so busy with work. At least I got all my shopping done online last weekend and all but one package has been delivered.

Today's plan...
    B - oats with blueberries, chia seeds, a couple walnut halves
    L - big ol' salad with chickpeas added
    D - stir-fry veggies and brown rice

This week's salads are romaine, radishes, carrots, beets, cucumber, zucchini. Stir-fry will be onion, broccoli, carrot, daikon, kale and collards. Will make ginger miso dressing.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    46rzocpfhwnk.gif
    SO happy you guys are here to chat with! It is such a support. Thank you!

@Mihani - You sound set up for a healthy and productive weekend! I hope time allows for a little yoga or relaxation, too! Your menu looks great!

@magic71755 - You have so much energy that I think many people would be shocked that you are 72! I always hear you as kind, but also very, very determined. You inspire me, and I am glad to know you.

Your inventory of what works abotu your job sounds great, and your plan of operation at work seems smart and sensible.

Oh, and on a tangent - I am sending a virtual hug to Lulu this morning!

@cairynskye = Greetings from Texas! Your tackling at a new way of eating at 72 is so SO inspiring!

I, too, have had great results from this. I started my journey to health in late 2016 -- did damage control during the holidays and then started making bigger changes in 2017. I went vegan and gave up processed sugar and felt a lot better without losing a lot of weight. I came up with a routine that worked for losing weight and staying with vegan and no sugar. I read Eat to Live at the end of that summer and found the evidence for better health so compelling that I decided I would try it. I would give it 3 weeks, and go back to what I had been doing if I quit losing weight. I lost 8 pounds the first week of eating on Fuhrman's plan from Eat to Live. I lost a couple of pounds a week each of the next two weeks and have never looked back, really. I lost over 100 pounds and my blood work numbers had my Aspergers-y and not-smiley doctor smiling and shaking my hand. He took "morbid obesity" off my chart and the blood work that came back showed all kinds of great changes. I had been very high normal in areas and headed the wrong direction. All numbers headed down and have kept going down. Inflammation issues have massively decreased. I was having trouble walking, and now I can run. I haven't had a physical this year, but look forward to my check-in in May.

I am about to go get some exercise, and am out to gave a great nutritarian food day!

P.S. If anyone wants to talk recipes, I am up for that. I am currently reading Plant Based Cooking Made Easy, something I borrowed from the library, and finding some things to try. A hilarious amount of the book consists of desserts, and I know from experience I can't eat much of that, but there are some entrees and salad dressings I want to try!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Austin, I'm always so inspired by your story. You walk the walk.

As to recipes... I swear that Angela Liddon of Oh She Glows has a gift for soups. I've made every soup from her first cookbook and several from her website. They are all brilliant and delicious. I just leave out the oil. I am also addicted to the cabbage and kale casserole from Dr. Fuhrman's Quick and Easy cookbook. I haven't made it lately but for a while I was making it every few weeks.

I just haven't been cooking much lately. I am too busy with work and have no enthusiasm. I am having my kitchen remodeled soon and maybe I'll get inspired once I am not looking at this outdated, ugly old kitchen!
  • magic71755
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Well, remember I said I had been coughing...Wednesday...and had a slight headache.

Yesterday, loss taste and smell.

No fever. Getting tested tomorrow.

No real other symptoms. Headache is gone. Coughing minimally. I might have a slight sore throat. Or that may be my imagination.

Very creepy not to taste. That has me very concerned.

Off work soon. I stay away from everyone. And if I have a fever tomorrow, will stay home. My appointment to get tested is at 2:45.

I have plenty of Lotus Rice Ramen and Vegan Better Than Bouillon. Will just live on that and add veggies to it.

So not happy at this moment.

Wondering if any of you have anyone with the same symptoms or can offer any insight.

Later...have a good night.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Morning all.still no fever...watery eyes ...slight cold symptoms...stuffy nose...but minimal coughing and sneezing.

Still no taste nor smell.

Called in today. Texted my acting supervisor...have not heard back. So I am home til Saturday.

Most likely not going to my sister’s for Christmas.

Just Lulu and me.

No taste nor smell has me concerned.

Test is at 2:45.

Later.

• AustinRuadhain
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hey Magic,

I am so sorry. I will be thinking of you today. It's great that you have a test scheduled. Do you know how quickly to expect the results back for it?

For what it's worth, loss of smell and taste is not just SARS-CoV-2/COVID. It happens to some people with other flus. It happens with seasonal flu, too, and usually comes back eventually.

Whatever it is, it sounds like you have a mild case of it. Keep doing all the good things you know to do for yourself. Cuddle Lulu lots.
  • magic71755
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Austin thank you for that my appointment is in about an hour and I will find out from them if it’s quickly return you know results.

I did lose my taste and smell one year I remember having the flu and so I guess I’m not too scared but I really don’t like not being able to taste it so miserable.

But thankfully my symptoms are exactly that very mild right now

I’m a little stuffy I don’t have a headache anymore and I’m not coughing my head off anymore I just am a little stuffy and I can’t taste or smell

I don’t have the chills and I don’t have a sore throat

So I’m pretty lucky

Today I had coffee and I had vegetable broth made with the bullion better than bullion veggie broth and some rice Ramen and broccoli and I had David and Henry pair. David pair

I’ve been trying to lose weight for so long maybe this will get the weight off and once it’s off I said get my taste buds back

I will Keep it off

There has been lots of little love today that’s for sure

Talk to you guys later take care stay warm and eat healthy
  • magic71755
    Options
    PS I did not go into work today and my HR gal told me that if I do test positive I don’t have to use my sick days or vacation days for sickleave that it’s covered under the Covid act