What are you reading?

Options
bebeisfit
bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
Books, magazines, blogs? What's on your nightstand, magazine rack or on your kindle?

Replies

• Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading "Trail of Broken Wings" by Sejal Badani It's not a bad book, but it's taking me forever to get through it, normally I would be ready to hop in bed by 8pm, so I could read for a couple of hours before I go to sleep, but since I started this book, I am not doing that. So I am considering starting a new book and just giving up on that one, that way I will know if it's the book, or me... lol I'm usually done a book in no less than 2 weeks, I've been reading this one for about 6-8 weeks...
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    I love my kindle. Nothing beats having a half dozen books in a small package that can go anywhere.

Just finished a few books this month.

Shiner - about mountain people: moonshiners, a preacher who's also a snake charmer and two women who are best friends and their relationship wth each other and the men they marry. Set in present day.

The Wives. A thriller. Story of a woman whose husband also has 2 other wives that she's never met.

Both really good.
  • dfmills1963
    dfmills1963 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am starting the 6th Scott Pratt book. Easy read for when I need to not think too hard at night!!!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I can't concentrate well lately. Have been into mystery type novels when I do manage to do something more than flit from book to book. Recently, I was on a Ruth Ware tear, and just started the Thin Man novel (what the first Thin Man movie was based on, although apparently there's only one actual book).
  • 1961Fowler
    1961Fowler Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    started the classic Farenheit 451. Little hard to get through but interesting in these times.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    Just finished The Authenticity Project. Loved it!
  • losemicaroline
    losemicaroline Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I am reading Everything Sad is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri. I recently read the book of short essays, Having and Being Had, by Eula Biss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I read both for pleasure and to fall asleep. For the latter, this is preferably a re-read, so it doesn't keep me up. But sometimes I get caught up in the story and need to switch to another book to trick my brain. I generally have a number of books going on my Kindle at one time.

I get the vast majority from one of the three library systems to which I belong and hardly ever need to buy a book.

Currently:
    • The Butch and Marlene legal/crime thriller series
    • Heidi (the 1880 children's book)
    • Neuromancer
    • Altered Carbon (Richard K Morgan is one of my favorite SF writers)

This summer I downloaded a bunch of environmental speculative fiction after hearing a great piece on NPR but am having a hard time getting into them. I like the premise of "New York 2140" - life in NY after a 50 foot sea rise, but...
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I used to get a good bit of reading done when commuting, as well as before bed. I usually read a lot, and was keeping a list of what I read in Jan and Feb. In March and April, I read a bunch of pandemic-themed stuff (re-read a fantasy novel about the plague that had some weird flu stuff too, some non fiction about 1918-19) and then 2020 became an awful reading year -- I did manage some mysteries, but had no attention span and would end up surfing the net or some such. It's kind of crazy, since I have a ton of books, many not yet read or which I would enjoy rereading, and yesterday I was imagining what heaven I would have thought I was in as a kid if I'd been in my own house (with a couple of cats) surrounded by books I wanted to read and had no required social events (although of course I do have work).

Anyway, one of my resolutions this year is to read just a bit every morning (I started it last week), and I've been enjoying it. Today I'm spending more time, and have been reading Rising Up from Indian Country, the Battle of Ft Dearborn and Birth of Chicago, by Ann Durkin Keating. (I have a bunch of local history books I decided I will finally work my way through chronologically, including another by Keating.)
  • rstanford3
    rstanford3 Posts: 3,080 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and am now working my way through Atomic Habits by James Clear. I am trying to use every possible tool to change unhealthy habits!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I've been meaning to read Atomic Habits.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I love to read a good mystery series. I grew up on Nancy Drew, Agatha Christie and then Dorothy Sayers and Elizabeth Peters. I love an early 20th century British setting with a female sleuth and a love interest. I'm current on a series by Ashley Weaver (Amory Amers is the main character) and another by Sara Rosett (Olive is the lead) If anyone else likes this type of read and has suggestions- I'd love it!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I enjoy reading non-fiction books that inspire me....one that I've read a couple of times is called "What Makes Olga Run". Its about a woman who set dozens of world records in track and field at the masters games, in her 90's! My big take away from the book was that most of the senior athletes the author discusses (including Olga) didn't start competing till they were in their late 50's and 60's. Their lives were too busy with family and work (sound familiar?) to do any kind of sports before that.

Right now I'm reading "The Athlete Inside" by Sue Reynolds. She started out weighing over 300 pounds and now is a world class triathlete. And get this.....she used MFP on her journey.
  • losemicaroline
    losemicaroline Posts: 742 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Reynold's book sounds interesting. I think I'll request it from the library today (and Shuggie Bain, which I've been wanting to read). :)
  • runrmomma
    runrmomma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've started listening to books on Audible since I cannot seem to find time to read anymore. I listen on my commute and sometimes on the treadmill. I recently listened Atomic Habits which was great!
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    I'm in line for Atomic Habits at the library.

I'm #278 for 44 copies.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I love to read a good mystery series. I grew up on Nancy Drew, Agatha Christie and then Dorothy Sayers and Elizabeth Peters. I love an early 20th century British setting with a female sleuth and a love interest. I'm current on a series by Ashley Weaver (Amory Amers is the main character) and another by Sara Rosett (Olive is the lead) If anyone else likes this type of read and has suggestions- I'd love it!

Oh, we have really similar taste, as I also grew up on those authors and love early 20th c British mysteries/settings. I don't know those two series (Weaver and Rosett) but will be seeking them out -- I just reread some early Christie and also the Mousetrap, which was fun.