Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - Al_Howard (Al)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - imastar2 (Derrick)

Today's Topic: Flavor Cravings

There are five flavor profiles: sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami. Do you enjoy the full spectrum of flavors? Any you don't particularly like? Do your cravings tend to fall into one flavor profile more often than others?

Bonus Question: If you drink alcohol, what flavor profile is your favorite beverage?

Replies

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I enjoy foods from the full spectrum of flavors. Sour is probably my least favorite on its own, but I really like a bit of tartness mixed into foods. Vinegars and citrus juices can do wonders enliven up foods.

I tend to crave salty and umami flavors and find if I can keep the umami satisfied then I I won't have other cravings. This has been useful knowledge for weight loss. I also love butter and pungent foods like collard greens, cabbage and Brussels sprouts. I could literally eat a soup pot full of any of these.

I don't tend to crave sugar yet I will scarf it down if it's in front of me. And feel like crap an hour later.

Bonus Question: I've never like sweet drinks. Because of allergies, I tend to stick with vodka and club soda. But I also love a dirty martini and a dark, dark beer.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options

I also tend to like the full spectrum, with sour being used as an enhancement more that the star. I have 2 main cravings. Umani when I've been eating too much junk (haven't had that one for a while). And salty, sweet, salty, sweet, salty ... It always starts with salty, then I want sweet, and it goes back and forth. I've learned that it's best to just stop it early (it's not going to get easier) or do a combo snack, my fav being Trader Joes sea salt and turbinado sugar dark choc cvd almonds.

Bonus:. It depends. I love a (bitter) red wine. Margarita with salted rim (salt and sour), a mojito is about as sweet as I get. And I like bourbon neat, gin or vodka & tonic, and a vodka martini. I don't like beer, sweet fruity drinks, or rich milky or ice cream drinks.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I gotta be honest, I don't know what umani is. With that said, I like all types, but sweet and salty more that sour/bitter (though there is a time and place for that too!). I think many of my cravings are sweet, but sometimes I try to go for salty instead (reasoning that one serving of pretzels is probably better than chocolate or pure sugar candy!).

For alcohol, I don't like sweet nor salty. I do like some bitterness in beer, but not too much (instead preferring more "juicy" hop profiles. I too like bourbon, neat, and dry wine generally better than sweet wine (though there is a time and place for port).
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Oh, i forgot about port!

Umani is generally savory. Mostly associated with meaty, but portabello mushrooms are often used in cooking to add umani, and are the basis of many umani seasoning blends.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,857 Member
    Options
    I’m sweet and salty - and that’s what I like to eat. A chocolate covered pretzel is a wonderful thing. Lately, I seem to be craving salt more. Maybe I need to go to Agway and get a nice salt lick. (Or go to Lindt chocolate store and get a chocolate lick!)

True story - we went to Switzerland on vacation because it’s “the old country”, and as part of the tour we went to a Swiss chocolatier. Where did we go? Lindt. I was stunned; we see it so often in the US that I just assumed it was an American company.

Alcohol? I’m a beer drinker, but because I’m also sweet, I’m out there at the malt end of the spectrum. Give me a good porter or stout (or a wee heavy Scotch ale) and I’m happy. Offer me an IPA, and you are not my friend. I rarely drink a beer with IBU over 30, and right now my favorite beer in my fridge is Kettlehead Brewing's Sundae Night - a mint chocolate chip milk stout.

Other than beer, it’s rum for a mixed drink. That’s mostly because of the sweet stuff they add, I suspect. The only “wine” I drink is a 20 year old tawny port.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Sweets. I only made goal because I managed to fight my sweet tooth to a draw.

When I was 285 lbs I loaded up on hot and spicy. The hotter the better. But no more.