Hashimoto's

Options
khage525
khage525 Posts: 30 Member
Does anyone else have hashimoto's? I always thought I was just hypothyroid but it turns out I have the autoimmune disorder. I've been looking up diets beneficial to hashi's and found that something similar to Keto is very effective. I've been doing this for a little over a week now and losing weight has been a LOT easier!

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Wonderful you have found something which really works for you. Effectively you will have eliminated all the foods which are most likely to drive autoimmunity, dairy, gluten, soy and any other foodstuff which is likely to aggravate the immune system through your digestive tract.

It took me years to discover I had Hashi, no doctor I came across (UK) would do an antibody test, most of us in the west are Hashi, when hypo, simple hypothyroid is attributable to not having a diet containing sufficient, iodine, selenium, zinc some other minerals as well as vitamins to make the system work.

I expect you have read much about what drives autoimmunity so I will not go on except to say, I've seen two different arguments, one for and the other against eating only meat. The first is eating only meats says the cells you are consuming will provide all the amino-acids your body needs. The other, not consuming fish can expose you to low to non existent iodine levels. Iodine is used by the body in its mucus membranes and as the base for t4 and therefore t3 thyroid hormones which needs the above mentioned minerals and vitamins.

Another thought, ensure the thyroid numbers you are being held to are right for you, some of us work better at the top end others lower. Take care and Keep Safe
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have hashimotos with hypothyroidism. Been hypo since 2010. Recently diagnosed auto immune about 2 yrs ago. My DO was never interested in testing for anti bodies because treatment is the same, which, I agree, pharmaceutical treatment is the same but I noticed when I went to see endocrinologist I was given more dietary recommendations and lifestyle habits to adopt to manage symptoms and prevent future disease progression. Been working on finding my triggers and getting my hormones right so I can live mostly symptom free. Weight loss has been VERY slow, but steady in the right direction.. My endo suggested a low carb, low sugar, intermittent fasting diet, I did that for awhile, then she removed gluten, I did that for awhile. Now she recommends I remove dairy and try anti inflammatory diet. It’s been a long 2 yrs but I have come out healthier, happier and looking better. I’m still trying to find my way, I got tired of eating so much animal, my gallbladder/digestive issues were bugging so I started eating more vegetables regardless of carbs. I’m still technically low carb but I can’t function at low carb keto levels. I am feeling really good about eating less meat and dairy. It’s a journey for sure...
  • Elmyra8376
    Elmyra8376 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi . I know I’m new to the party , but does anyone have any resources that have helped them ? I’m Hashi and have been struggling with my weight and lack of energy for years .
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Elmyra8376 wrote: »
    Hi . I know I’m new to the party , but does anyone have any resources that have helped them ? I’m Hashi and have been struggling with my weight and lack of energy for years .

Hi, at the top of the group page you will find information links posted. Lots of good resources in that list for thyroid and fatigue.

If you have trouble locating, let me know and I’ll try to copy and paste the info for you.

Welcome to the group
  • lks2gab
    lks2gab Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hashimotives in 1993. I had the right side of my thyroid ablated with radiation in 2000. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and in 2001 and had the other side removed. Since then I've been living with hair falling out, fatigue, weight gain dry skin, dry nails, all of the symptoms. However I did survive I have hair on my head, half eyebrows over each eye 🙃I am cancer free therefore I consider that a victory.
  • Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's, fibromyalgia & a Hiatus Hernia. I was diagnosed 15 years ago. I have tried many different medication including bio-Identical but found levotgyroxine the best. I used to be constantly exhausted but my doctor suggested I Selenium 150mg daily as well as vitamins calcium & D3 & magnesium.. I've been on the additional vitamins for over 1 year. They definitely work, being a shift worker as well, I used to be constantly exhausted. Now the Selenium is definitely my answer to tiredness, not only has it helped with the tiredness (nearly none now). I have taken up weight training & feeling great
  • missmckenna1912
    missmckenna1912 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I am new to the group and wanted to introduce myself. After several years of suspecting Hashimoto's I was just diagnosed last Tuesday when I finally got to see and Endocrinologist. I am frustrated that I had to spiral so far and become so very ill before I could get the help that I need, but I am trying to get past those emotions. My new Endo says we have a lot of work to do. He changed up my meds and gave me dietary instructions and a work out plan, so I am able to be somewhat hopeful. I think my biggest concern is how to deal with the hopelessness and self destructive behavior (ex. eating my feelings) it has caused - I guess you could say depression - y'know, knowing something is wrong for so long and not being able to fix it. Anyway, I am just glad to come across this group. Today, I feel less alone. Just knowing something like this exists gives me some hope