Introductions!

Options
124»

Replies

• VitalityMags
    VitalityMags Posts: 5 Member
    Options

[/quote]

We'd worry about you running too but it sounds like you're reasonably determined! As you get started, perhaps avoid running on concrete - at least this year - and opt for an outdoor track? Heck, I've done laps in baseball fields just to reduce joint pain and the excessive body shock that comes from pounding pavement.

As for the meals, is there a chance to consider having a meal service bring them to you both? That way, each of your dietary preferences are taken care of. For example, in your area, I found...

http://coastalcap.org/meals-on-wheels/

...which can deliver frozen meals (made from scratch) to you, your spouse, or both.

Otherwise, there are meal prepping strategies online that account for various dietary preferences in a household.[/quote]

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions! I appreciate your considering my concerns so carefully.
    We are very familiar with the Meals on Wheels program, as we both volunteered a few years ago at a senior center, ate there often, and occasionally helped with the meal prep and delivery! I wouldn't want to eat their meals now, although I think my wife would. However, we don't quite qualify for the service here.
    Also, of course, there are subscription services at different levels of elegance, choice and preparation, but our miniscule budget couldn't accommodate even the least expensive of these.
    As for meal prepping strategies: excellent idea! From time to time I've considered that before and haven't invested the energy in figuring how to make it work for us both. I think that I could make my wife's meals ahead -- she really doesn't mind frozen meals or leftovers -- and just do my own very simple meals separately every day or two. I won't be eating things that have eight ingredients or things with the yummy, rich sauces that I've been enjoying in recent years, so it will be quick and easy to prepare my own foods.
    If anyone has a favorite blog/training site for meal prepping, please feel free to suggest it.
    Thanks again!
    Maggie
  • VitalityMags
    VitalityMags Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    And Yes! to the suggestion of running on a soft-ish track. Our high school is exactly one mile from home, so I could drive there and use that track. Hope it has good drainage!
  • crenmckin
    crenmckin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My first month! I'm seeking intentional health this year and I find that logging everything helps me. Unfortunately, I sometimes need to be held accountable for that. Happy New Year!
  • jenniferbauer211
    jenniferbauer211 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hello all. This is my first month UAC. looking forward to it as i figure it will help me stay focused. I hope to lose 40 lbs and learn to eat heathier. I also want to get in better physical condition- the 20 min a day could be where I fail, but I am here to give it a try. oh, and by the way I am from Ohio, USA. Thanks for putting this group together!
  • calvin20874
    calvin20874 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started recently with Noom but am going to switch to MFP, which I think is a better platform for me. Hopefully, participating in this group will help with accountability. My MFP account had been dormant until recently. I need to lose 30 lbs to reduce pain due to sciatica and possibly prepare for surgery. I'm quite active, with some muscle mass, exercising daily: weight training, mountain biking, and swimming. However, walking and running causes great pain. At 58, the weight loss will also lower blood pressure and cholesterol and reduce the risk diabetes.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a new member. I'm 47F and have gained back 15 pounds from my ideal weight. I'd like to lose them over the next few months. I will be checking in here this month to help me stay on track!
  • Porkus5
    Porkus5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here. I've been looking for an active board and something just like this...accountability! I've done MFP a couple times in the past with great results, but didn't use any of the community features. I think it will help to have others with the same goals I have...healthy lifestyle and healthy weight. The past year has done me no favors weight-wise, but I'm thankful to be here to address it.
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! My name is Simon and I used to do a good bit of UAC back in 2017 and it helped me change my life in so many ways , I still find it amazing the type of transformation I had done to myself that year and I'm here to do it again!

Few things about me is I'm a 25 year old father now of a wonderful little girl called magnolia and i've fully recovered from my previous military injury in my right leg, I have a wonderful fiance now and been taking IT classes and worked as a dietician in a nursing home for majority of 2019/2020 and currently been the stay at home father of a very energetic 17month old.

Even tho it is the 8th of this month I hope you'll have me again! I'm looking to lose a good bit of weight aswell as put on some muscle and change some habbits for a better state of mind and body connection.

I'll be doing the ketogenic diet aswell as body weight exercises to push myself as much as I can for the year and I'll need UAC's help as I've learned after becoming a father it's very easy to make excuses for not being able to do things and that's not something I want to get into the habbit of doing.

Thank you all for reading and I hope to get to know many of you and hope you all have a wonderful time in this group!
  • ChristianK1974
    ChristianK1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Still 21 days left in the month so I figured I'd sign up for this month's challenge anyway. My name is Christian, I'm 46, and I live in Canada. Like others here in the group, the pandemic got in the way of my regular workout routines. We are all dealing with a huge adjustment in our lifestyles. Those changes can be stressful. Stress is a slippery slope to over eating, at least for me anyway. Soooooo... knowing that I have to publically post my exercise and daily health habits holds me accountable. I find that accountability very motivating. Especially when shared with others in a similar situation and head space. Anyway... looking forward to reading others accountability journeys and participating in this challenge. Thanks all.
  • GigiDoma
    GigiDoma Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a new member and I am looking forward to being a part of this group and moving forward with my life. I am a female in my forties from the United States. This is the first time in nearly 5 years where I am in remission from breast cancer and Leukemia and there are no scheduled surgeries in sight!

Last year, I made the effort to use MFP to lose weight. I did not lose much, but I gained so much knowledge about the food I was eating, calculating how many calories my chemo-induced menopause body may need, and learning what were my trigger foods and what bad habits I needed to address.

This is my year. While I know that I have many challenges ahead with being so deconditioned and drained, I am feeling a glimmer of hope and having some control over my body again.

I have to stay accountable and accurate with my food choices and calories. With my body, I now know that my inconsistencies of a binge day here and there or a couple hundred calories here and there are what lead to my difficulty with losing weight. I am so grateful for this group to challenge me and help give me that little umph I need to keep myself in check. All the best to everyone! ✌❤☀️

Congrats to you on your remission from breast cancer as well as leukemia. My prayers are with you that you remain in remission! This group is terrific and will change your life for the positive, and everything else will fall into place in every aspect of your life. Please PM me as I have some insight and knowledge on things that could help you on your journey to stay in remission from breast cancer and leukemia. Welcome to the group!
  • GigiDoma
    Options
    Hello Everyone! My name is Simon and I used to do a good bit of UAC back in 2017 and it helped me change my life in so many ways , I still find it amazing the type of transformation I had done to myself that year and I'm here to do it again!

Few things about me is I'm a 25 year old father now of a wonderful little girl called magnolia and i've fully recovered from my previous military injury in my right leg, I have a wonderful fiance now and been taking IT classes and worked as a dietician in a nursing home for majority of 2019/2020 and currently been the stay at home father of a very energetic 17month old.

Even tho it is the 8th of this month I hope you'll have me again! I'm looking to lose a good bit of weight aswell as put on some muscle and change some habbits for a better state of mind and body connection.

I'll be doing the ketogenic diet aswell as body weight exercises to push myself as much as I can for the year and I'll need UAC's help as I've learned after becoming a father it's very easy to make excuses for not being able to do things and that's not something I want to get into the habbit of doing.

Thank you all for reading and I hope to get to know many of you and hope you all have a wonderful time in this group!

Welcome back to the UAC, Simon! I wasn't in the group when you were. I just started my UAC journey in October, but I can see why you chose to return! Welcome to parenthood and the joys and struggles that go along with it! Love your little girl's name! Thank you for your military service. Sorry to hear that you suffered an injury in service in your right leg. I did PM you a message after seeing a post you made to the group struggling with a few pain issues. Check your mail messages, if you haven't. Congrats on your engagement! Hopefully, Covid will go away soon, and you can have the wedding of your dreams! Fantastic you worked as a dietician in a nursing home. So YOU already are aware of healthy eating and
    can teach this information to others. You will be a massive help to the group! It sounds like you are already aware of some bad habits you are making. You are correct that you should not push aside the time you need for yourself to exercise or meditate to silence the noise around us every day and clear the mind! Welcome, Simon, and my name is Gina.
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    @ginadomaszewicz Thank you for the wonderful welcome! and for some reason I haven't been able to recieve any messages since i've come back and im certain as to why they havent been working for me.

Working as a dietician certainly expanded my knowledge by leaps and bounds especially about many diets and the type of people they 're good for, I've also experimented in a good bit of dieting myself from One meal a day Fasts, to Keto, To Veganism and a 5/2 split where I water fast twice a week. I've managed to feel energetic in different ways with each of those diets.

One of my patients was in there 100s and would still eat solid foods and loved to request cheeseburgers from me when I was working and she a spunky lady

Pain is something I've managed to deal with easier and easier late last year and I make sure to hydrate and properly stretch out my muscles alot, I also love to soak in many different type of baths.

Thank you again and may we have a wonderful 2021.
  • GigiDoma
    Options
    @SimonsChange Thank you for the lovely, informative response back! Good luck to you, my friend, and the lady who is 100, and the cheeseburger story made me laugh!