Glad to be here as a mature woman

Options
HI
Great to see this group. So many times we are downplayed and told we are to old to lose weight because we have hormone issues and metabolism is too slow. Nice to know that is definitely not true. We can do this ladies :)

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    So, so not true! 🙂

A thing I dislike about some aspects of popular culture is that there is a "tyranny of low expectations" around aging (to steal a phrase from another MFP-er). It applies to many things, but certainly to weight management and fitness. The mythology would have us believe that we can't achieve much, if we're "too old".** I think that if we take some manageable steps in a positive direction, and build on them, we can surprise ourselves with what we can accomplish, with patience and time.

Further, I think those of us with a few years on us have skills for patiently pursuing long term goals in small steps, because we've practiced those skills by getting an education, maybe saving up for a home down payment or retirement, some by raising families, learning skill-based hobbies (crafts, art, musical instrument), perhaps shaping a career, and more. We also know our own strengths and limitations really well, usually, and have some insight into how to exploit the strengths and skirt the limitations, in order to accomplish useful things in a personalized way.

I lost weight with MFP (obese to a healthy weight) at age 59-60 back in 2015, and have been at a healthy weight since (after 3 previous decades of obesity, nearly all of my adult life - also severely hypothyroid (treated) if that matters (I think it doesn't)). I started being routinely active after cancer treatment back in around 2002, and have been quite active since. There's been a huge payoff in quality of life, for me, from both of those things.

Wishing you much success!

** Funny thing to me: Every once in a while, back in the before-pandemic times, a new 30-something would come to the spin class I attended, say "I have to take this class now, before I'm too old!" (I have 3 decades on those folks, now age 65, so would be sitting there (on my bike) looking at them and wondering what the heck they were thinking!) Kind of the same deal, with age-mate friends one day sitting around a table, and one said "of course, we can't lose weight at our age" and the others all nodded sadly. Um, what??!?
  • coffeerose55
    coffeerose55 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Ann,
    Thank you it means alot . If we put in the work and effort it WILL COME OFF :)