Leg Cramps

Options
I've been on low carb food plan since May. Have been getting leg cramps at night more frequently. Last evening I went off my food plan, and we had Chinese food. Wow, had wicked leg cramps, not just the typical "Charlie Horses" either, although had those; but it was the muscles on the top of my feet, going part-way up my leg!!! Very painful. I have been taking extra Calcium for a while already since this used to help me in the past, but not helping this time. Bought some Potassium today, trying that.

Replies

• Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    That should help an if you are exercising an not getting a good stretch after will give ya cramps later on!! Good luck! xx
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Potassium helps so much. And make sure you drink alot of water.
  • liese444
    Options
    Was reading about Magnesium today also. Just gotta do my research I guess....like with everything!!!
    I did think it was interesting how it was sooo bad after eating Chinese food. Last night I did not have any
    leg cramps!
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Could be too much salt and not enough water, muscles are dehydrated. If you don't have it, read Dr Atkins New Det Revolution. I felt better when I started taking the recommended supplements. Magnesium will help, but potassium will help more, since your naturally not getting enough potassium through your diet now.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    As mentioned already, and from shared experience, I'm in complete agreement with not enough water and/or potassium.

Be well, be safe and feel better soon!
  • liese444
    Options
    Found this article on leg cramps:
    http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2007/03/got-low-carb-leg-cramps-get-more.html

He recommends 300 mg Potassium.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    sounds wierd I know, but I keep a small bottle of mustard in my night stand, when leg cramps come on, ( usually from having a carb up meal) a squirt of mustard and the cramps go away in around 20 seconds, dont ask me how, I heard about it in the peoples pharmacy in the news paper years ago, it has saved me many many times
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I wonder if he squirted the mustard on his leg or in his mouth???? PMSL!!!!!!!! :laugh:

OK I know I need to get some sleep I am getting a lil crazy!!!!!!! :bigsmile: