Say "Hi"

Options
NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
Say "Hi" and if you feel like it share how you are doing. It doesn't have to be about weight.

I am as guilty as anyone not posting much over the holidays but if we are not careful that will become the trend.

So say "Hi" and break the silence. Say a little something in another thread too. Let's get this year started!

Replies

• NovusDies
    Options
    Oh and "Hi!"

How am I doing?

Doing okay. Not ecstatic with my weight management over the holidays but good enough.

Tired of hearing people talk about 2020 being a year that needed to end. All years have good and bad in them. The difference in 2020 was that so many people were having a bad time at the same time.

A lot of great things happened in 2020... people got married, children were born, people made progress on their goals. Yeah some of it sucked but some of every year sucks.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Hi!...I have posted so much, I think everyone knows how I am doing lol....I went binge psycho crazy and gained a zillion pounds over the holidays...I baked, bought, and ate way too much...the good thing is it is coming off quickly and I will be back where I was in another 7 to 10 days!...I am my worst enemy when it comes to my weight!....say HI
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi!

To piggyback off of your good happenings in 2020:

My personal blessings this year:
    -Spending so much time with my parents. I moved in December 2019 to be closer to them after spending a decade being a 10-12 hour drive away, and it has been great to get to see them often.
    -Remaining employed, and getting to work from home the majority of the year.
    -Spending so much time with my dogs, something I wouldn't have gotten to do had I not been working from home.
    -All the "little things" like trying new recipes, hiking new trails, and picking up a couple of new hobbies. I spent the summer rehabbing a few old pieces of furniture and I've recently been trying my hand at making greeting cards!
    -Losing 35 pounds, which I completely credit to finding these forums and learning how to change my eating habits in a sustainable way.
    -Buying a new car at the very end of the year - my first truly *new* car and I love it!

I made it through the holidays with only a couple pounds of "gain" which I believe is mostly food baby and/or water retention and should fall off here in a couple of days.

My goals for 2021:
    -Lose another 40 pounds, which would put me right at the top end of the healthy range, then in 2022 I can work on the last 15 or so vanity pounds.
    -Figure out the next steps for my professional life. I had an interview for a possible role that I was very excited about, but after looking at what that would mean as far as relocation, and being unsure of what I want my long term career to look like, I turned down the second round interview. I'd like to get some clarity as to what will make me happiest, whether that's a different role in my current career, switching to a new career field entirely, or even starting my own business.
    -Make friends and date! Since I only lived in my current city for 3 months before everything got shut down, I have met absolutely no one here and I really want to change that. It's so awkward during the pandemic so I'm hopeful that things will improve enough to be able to "get out there."
    -Find new places to volunteer. I was very involved with volunteering before I moved and I really miss the extra activity and the feeling that I was making a difference in my own little way. Again, this is something I have put off due to COVID so fingers crossed.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,634 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm happy to be in a new year where hopefully social distancing will disappear. But, I can't complain about 2020. It was a great year for me overall. I'm tickled with losing almost 100 lbs. I'm walking farther every day than I ever have or ever thought I would. And I'm feeling healthier than I have in decades. I am now a nonsmoker and weigh close to what I should. That is a million times better than the now I'm a nonsmoker but I'm "carrying around an extra 100 lbs because I quit" state I've been in for a few years.
    It has been a pleasure meeting you all here, too! Happy New Year everyone.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    2020 saw me at my lowest weight ever, and I was proud of myself for the walking I got in and the distances I had worked up to, and I hope that when the weather clears, I'll be able to pick that back up. Its been the only exercise I've ever managed to be consistent about.

Working from home had its pluses and minuses - pluses because I was able to get those walks in that I woudln't have been able to do otherwise; being at home has helped me in the regard of activity.

And of course, the end of 2020 has the new romance.

Work stress is still here, muted back some, but still frustrating. But its teh start of a new year, so perhaps I can turn over a new leaf, so to speak. I tried in a meeting with the supervisor back before Christmas to explain how I was feeling in my job; we'll see if this results in improvements or not.

2021 will be an interesting year, that is for sure. I hope the job will improve, we'll see where the company lands in allowing work from home to continue even after social distancing is relaxed, we'll see where this romance of mine ends up leading us, and I can hopefully get into onederland - if I can get myself back into the groove.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm back home and tracking after a great holiday break. It was really nice to spend some time with my parents. I didn't track at all, ate way too much, and had a great time. I haven't weighed now that I'm back home but am back to tracking and keeping my deficit, so whatever I gained will eventually come down again.

I'm ready to write off 2020 (while there were no doubt great moments and joy, overall, it was a very difficult year for me I lost my grandma, layoffs at work, etc...). I actually stayed up til midnight on New Year's to wish it a very hearty f-u. I don't think 2021 is going to be an amazing year, but at least things are looking up!

My arch is feeling better - I haven't been running regularly over the holiday, but when I have, it has felt great. I haven't even been wearing my night splint. Perhaps plantar fasciitis is behind me?? (2020 can keep that too!)

• gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Welcome back for the new year!

2020 is over and done with. It has been an interesting year. I lost some weight; I gained some weight; I lost some weight. LOL COVID has taken it's toll on everyone and everything. I am grateful that even though I work in a hospital I haven't contracted the virus. I was able to get my first series of vaccination two weeks ago and will get my second soon.

My cervical cancer came back after many years being dormant. I'm glad to say that all cancerous cells have been removed and I am cancer free again! It was a stressful few months but I was able to continue working on my health during that time. I stuck with my diet and exercise routines.

I also quit smoking. I have to say of all the things I did last year this one sucked the most!! I loved smoking. I have been smoking for a very very long time. I have quit a few times for things like pregnancy but I always started back up when I was able to. My motivating factor for quitting is plastic surgery. Nicotine causes wounds to not heal properly and cutting off all my skin will be HUGE wounds across my whole body. Those wounds need to heal properly otherwise I will have spent all that money for nothing and not get to show it off.

I know I could have been at my goal weight had I stuck to the plan but I also know that sometimes things have to give and during those beginning months calorie tracking is what gave. I took most of the month of December off. I went to Universal Studios and walked a lot but ate a lot. We went to Wisconsin after Christmas so the boys could ski. It was cold and terrible but my son loves it so I suffer through for him.

Here is to a great 2021. It's won't be perfect and it won't be "normal" but I am excited to see where this journey will take all of us.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,315 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been neglecting the boards because I'm super busy.

2020 was an awful year for me. I had to work so much more, and so much harder and just never got a break. I worked so many evenings and weekends. Even when I had covid, I didn't get to stop working; I just had to work from home. I never got a break. And it all wore on me and I have been on a weight plateau since March. I've made absolutely no weight progress for over 9 months.

Novus, I'm sorry you're tired of hearing people say how awful 2020 was. I know good things happened. I know I'm lucky to have some job security, and I know I'm lucky I didn't gain a bunch of weight. But I can't remember EVER having a year that wore me down so much and left me feeling so little hope.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Well, look at it this way....2020 wasn’t great but you survived it!....since you have held your weight for 9 months which is really a win, if you get back at it now, it will be like you are starting anew AND maybe you will lose 10 or 20 lbs really fast!....
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I need to show off my Christmas present, and this post seems as good as any to do that, lol. I finally got a pair of AfterShokz headphones. I've been wanting to try them but super skeptical that they actually worked. GUYS. THEY ARE SO COOL!!! Honestly they are like magic; truly the future is here. If you do any sort of activity where you want to listen to music/podcasts, but also need to hear traffic (walking, biking, running) these are incredible and 100% worth saving up for. And not even just traffic. I like to run to music to keep myself going, but also enjoy being able to hear the various birds and forest critters. I can do both at once now! (They also make a waterproof version for swimming.) I'm just amazed at them. One of those rare purchases that substantially improves something in my life.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi! I've been neglecting the boards because I'm super busy.

2020 was an awful year for me. I had to work so much more, and so much harder and just never got a break. I worked so many evenings and weekends. Even when I had covid, I didn't get to stop working; I just had to work from home. I never got a break. And it all wore on me and I have been on a weight plateau since March. I've made absolutely no weight progress for over 9 months.

Novus, I'm sorry you're tired of hearing people say how awful 2020 was. I know good things happened. I know I'm lucky to have some job security, and I know I'm lucky I didn't gain a bunch of weight. But I can't remember EVER having a year that wore me down so much and left me feeling so little hope.

I am sorry you had such a tough year. I guess my point was that it was not unique to 2020. I have had many years of 16 to 18 hour days 7 days a week for months at a time. My longest was 5.5 months before I had a day off and I got 1 and it was 2 more months before I got another one. Those years included some incredible weight gain for me. I kept working past meal times and running out for giant fast food meals because I was ravenous. I used to take delight in being the guy who could rescue projects and hit deadlines that should have been impossible. I am not that guy anymore.

2021 will be a better year for some and a worse year for others. That is always the way of things. Hopefully it will be a better year for you. You are due.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies has there been a change to the group's privacy/joining permissions, a few people have now mentioned they've not been able to join, I also cannot see an invite option, although I can see the group is a Public one.
  • _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!

2020 for me was a year of sorrow, joy, and discovery. My mom died in August and I am still grieving her loss.

This was the first thanksgiving and Christmas without her. My heart has been heavy.

2020 was the year I began to care about myself. I began diligently logging my calories and even lost over the holidays.

I quit a toxic job and have begun to peel back my emotional layers.

Many days I’m raw and introspective.

2021 will be my year of self discovery. Who am I? Who do I want to be?

• NovusDies
    Options
    @NovusDies has there been a change to the group's privacy/joining permissions, a few people have now mentioned they've not been able to join, I also cannot see an invite option, although I can see the group is a Public one.

I do not see any new options and I haven't changed anything.

In case there is a new "feature" I changed it briefly from public to private and then back again.
  • NovusDies
    Options

@tinkerbellang83

When I go to options I can invite members.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    The other gent managed to find the join button eventually, apparently it's not appearing when on the Group homepage, folk are having to go into a thread and then it appears at the top. As I'm already a member, I am not sure what is seen in the app/website by people wanting to join.

I think you probably can invite people as it's your group. But perhaps it's limited to yourself and admins in your Group settings?
  • NovusDies
    Options
    The other gent managed to find the join button eventually, apparently it's not appearing when on the Group homepage, folk are having to go into a thread and then it appears at the top. As I'm already a member, I am not sure what is seen in the app/website by people wanting to join.

I think you probably can invite people as it's your group. But perhaps it's limited to yourself and admins in your Group settings?

Are you having any trouble with your group?
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am currently at my parent's house, which is always nice because being a solo parent of a high-energy 8-year-old is always challenging, but all the more so since we are in the middle of covid and don't have the regular outlets of school/work/etc.

I am also currently bruised as I stepped on to my parent elliptical this morning to do a little workout with only my socks on. I slipped right off the footpad and landed with both of my legs/knees on the treads. I am fine, but my pride and my legs are a bit bruised. Pride is fine, but it was embarrassing to be sure. :)

Feeling tired and ready for a good night's sleep and possibly some Advil.
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm still here! I'm having a mildly successful, mildly unsuccessful diet break right now. Mildly successful because I'm learning that my body feels best somewhere between 1700 and 2100 calories, which is ultimately where I'd be totally fine winding up, and the fatigue/obsessive thoughts have been put aside just letting myself log more loosely. Unsuccessfully, I haven't made it to maintenance calories most days so I'm not positive I'm really helping my metabolism all that much with just a lower deficit. That being said, my weight has been staying the exact same so that's pretty cool.

I was planning on just having a short break through the new year but I'm going really hard on developing recipes for my home bakery and the looser restrictions in my brain are really helpful and give me a little more freedom. If I'm going to sell something, I need to taste at least a partial portion of it so I'll split a pastry or slice of bread with my partner. Most of what I'm making is porch dropped to other people to get multiple opinions on a product.

I'm going all-in on it as a business this year and not just making it a holiday thing. So far, I've gotten a lot of interest—enough that I could make as much if not more than I make at my day job if it stays steady and holds up over time. I'm not counting my chickens, though, and staying cautiously optimistic.

So, my main goal is to treat my body in a way that I'm able to keep up with a physically rigorous business. For me, this includes yoga and eating enough calories, which is something my diet break really taught me. Right now, I'm at my laptop for 4 hours working my regular job and on my feet in the kitchen for 6 or so most days, doing physical tasks like kneading dough and rolling pastry. This would have been impossible for me 78 pounds ago and now, while I get sore sometimes, it's 100% doable. I'm pretty proud of that!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Are you having any trouble with your group?

I don't think so but then I point people to LL more often than to mine these days. One of the lose a pound a week groups is having a similar issue so it's not limited to just LL.