Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, January 5, 2020

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday -
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - imastar2 (Derrick)

Today's Topic: Stretching and Flexibility

Do you devote any time to stretching and/or increasing your flexibility? If yes, is this specific work or incorporated as part of a warm-up/cool down with other exercise? If no, why not?

Bonus Question: What part of your body is the achiest?

Replies

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently working on stretching or flexibility, but I plan to begin this work. My legs and back seem to be even more stiff than they were a year ago after sitting for as little as 30 minutes. And I had to get on the floor the other day to retrieve something that had rolled into an awkward spot and was amazed at my lack of flexibility. When did this happen?!!!!!

I'm definitely planning on incorporating stretching and flexibility work into my day.

Bonus question: My hip, for sure. Arthritis caused by dysplasia.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically target my flexibility, but dancing with Simply smiling and general exercise has helped a lot. I'm amazed at how much better my body is moving!

As for achy, my legs, but I'm thinking that's due to the squats I've been doing the last couple weeks LOL
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    I do stretches for my legs and hips, trying to treat (or minimize) a chronic hamstring strain. I’ve also got some pretty good arthritis in my right knee. (My left knee used to be a 1979 Corolla.)
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stretching (old PT exercises) and now added leg and knee (both Studebakers) and some weights (curling and "skull crushers" with 12# dumbbells now. Also some elastic bands.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,852 Member
    Options
    I do some stretches for my neck (degenrative arthritis) and for my left hip / calf (tendonitis) both perscribed by PT's. I am thinking I need to add in some work for my lower back. I stiffen up pretty badly overnight, and sometimes if I am just sitting still for 30 + minutes. My knees do a lot of snap cracke pop stuff when I stand up, that was helped a few years ago by some consistent tai chi practice, I need to get back into that.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    I do yoga at least 5 to 7 days a week. I also have a half round to do calf stretches. Yes a lot of my yoga is very basic and I prefer slow yoga. One of my yoga zoom classes is from a woman who specializes in yoga for osteoporosis/ostopenia(sp?). Those are held a long time. something like at least 72 seconds to maximize stress on muscles and bones. Props are welcome as needed too.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I don't do any stretching. I used to stretch a bit before and a bit after running. However, I believe there were a few sports medicine articles that suggested that stretching actually can cause more harm than good, and it is the rare individual who actually needs to stretch out.

That is different, however, from flexibility training, which if you need to improve your flexibility, can be helpful.

My biggest issue is that I get bad knots/spasms in my shoulder from time to time. It's likely related to sitting in front of the computer with my arms on my desk. I do a lot of self-massage for that, and try to use "trigger-point" release. I don't really know what I'm doing with that very well, so it's hit-or-miss.