Collagen Protein - to count, or nah?

Options
VTRutz
VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
I was recently told that I don't need to/shouldn't count the protein from my collagen powder (vital proteins) towards my total daily macro.

Is this accurate? I struggle to stay at or near my protein goal (I go over it alllll the time) and a big portion of that is the 20g of protein in two tiny scoops of powder!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't count any of my supplements, but I also don't limit protein, so going over would be fine for me.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    VTRutz wrote: »
    I was recently told that I don't need to/shouldn't count the protein from my collagen powder (vital proteins) towards my total daily macro.

Is this accurate? I struggle to stay at or near my protein goal (I go over it alllll the time) and a big portion of that is the 20g of protein in two tiny scoops of powder!

Unless you have to limit protein for medically therapeutic keto or are an extremely sensitive diabetic, then 20g of extra protein isn't going to be a dealbreaker and I'd not worry about it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    VTRutz wrote: »

Here's the way that I (and others) approach this:
    Carbs -> are a limit, do not go over this amount
    Protein -> is a minimum goal... get at least this amount, more is not an issue
    Fats -> are a filler, use them to reach your calorie goals (if you are hungry enough to eat all of your calories)*.

* I have days where I am not hungry and I don't eat all of my calories on those days. I have days where I could eat ALL the foods (and then some!). They tend to balance out in the long run. As long as you are not consistently going way under on your calories, it is ok to not eat to a specific calorie goal. Your body will let you know when you need extra calories and when you don't.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I suspect its because collagen protein is the worst protein in terms of L-Luecine content, so it won't help towards building muscle and is questionable on whether it will do anything for your skin or hair.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've always been told not to count it because it is not a complete protein.