Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - Al_Howard (Al)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - imastar2. (Derrick)

Today's Topic: Getting In Your Own Way

When it comes to weight loss or fitness goals, do you ever get in the way of your own progress? If so, what does this look like? What do you do about it?

Replies

• whathapnd
    Options
    I get in my own way by not keeping my head and thoughts mainly in the here and now. I spend too much time in the past and future. Here's what it looks like:

1) Past Focus - I have a habit of comparing my current results to my past results. I'm especially bad about this at the start of a new year. My thinking will go something like this: "Last year, I was averaged losing .5 pounds a week. In 2018, when I was really buckling down, I was averaging 1.5 pounds per week, so I know I'm capable of that type of loss at my current weight. I should step it up." This internal dialogue occurs despite having a plan that I'm comfortable with and losses that are fine.

2) Future Focus - I focus on the future too much. One form of this is that I keep envisioning being able to wear all the cute summer clothes that haven't fit in a couple of years. (Hint: They haven't fit because I lose focus on the day-to-day effort that will lead to being able to wear them.) Envisioning the future is fine/a good thing, but not if it takes too much time away from what I need to focus on right now.

So, what I'm trying to do to stay focused on the "present" is:

- Keep my plan simple
    - Limit the amount of time I spend looking at
    past weigh-in data
    - Take measurements every six weeks.
    instead of focusing on clothing
    - When I find myself thinking about past or.
    future efforts, say OUT LOUD "That's nice,
    but do you have a solid plan for the next.
    couple of days?"
  • whathapnd
    Options
    I should add that along with #2 above comes some beating myself up for not achieving getting back to goal which then makes me sad/mad. Instead of fueling my resolve, this leads to despair and paralysis of will.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have historically gotten in my own way by focusing on what I want RIGHT NOW at the expense of what I want long term. I know I want to lose weight, but that pizza is here RIGHT NOW! I know that PT exercises will help lomg term, but RIGHT NOW I just wanna sleep.

I can also trip myself with my well-honed skills at rationalization. “Hey, I had a Boston Cream donut without tracking it and didn’t gain weight. I should be able to do that again!”
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,921 Member
    Options
    I always USED to consider Friday, my weigh-in day, plus Saturday and Sunday as "loosey-goosey". Looked forward to my beers, and a "special meal" of some ilk.
    Doing a bit better since I quit drinking, but still find myself eating too much on the weekends. No longer have the "excuse", so I guess it's all on me now.
    Will be watching this thread for ideas.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    I have historically gotten in my own way by focusing on what I want RIGHT NOW at the expense of what I want long term. I know I want to lose weight, but that pizza is here RIGHT NOW! I know that PT exercises will help lomg term, but RIGHT NOW I just wanna sleep.

I could comment, but I'll just say DITTO!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Grand plans. At least in terms of weight loss. I’m better off playing weight loss small ball.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    Literally there's no one standing around shoving food in my mouth so I'm definitely getting in my own way. I don't have the open living concept as @88olds is referring to. I have to go hunt it up and purposefully get in the chocolate kisses, cookies, or whatever snack is around. I know we're not suppose to have it in the house but that doesn't fly too much with DW and besides @ age 73 I'm still trying to learn moderation and discipline with food so go figure.

Yep! it all go back to the 6 inches between my ears.
    (Full disclosure I just copied and pasted my post from @Al_Howard Al's LTL thread)