Let's share some of our favorite books!

A couple of mine are:
  • The Woman in the Window (A. J. Finn)
  • Shutter Island (Dennis Lehane)

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I loved "How to Make an American Quilt" when I read it in my early 30's. I tried re-reading it at one point, but it didn't resonate with "older me." I do feel like I want to give it one more try though.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check those out! I haven't read a book in awhile that really stood out. I was just talking about Patrick Taylor's series on a doctor in a small town in Ireland, those are really good. I loved The Stand by Stephen King, if I could find it I'd reread it. I'll think on this one, I'm sure if I went and looked in my closet I'd give you a huge list!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I loved where the Crawdads Sing.

I really enjoyed Stephen King's 11/22/1963.

And Mudbound stayed with me for a really long time.

Unfortunately I don't always retain the books and am often surprised when someone recommends a book or I see they've made a movie from a book..I look it up and find that I read it and have no idea of the plot.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @Katmary71

I really liked The Stand too; I read it when it was first published, decades ago. My favorite Stephen King book is Salem's Lot though. I remember reading it at home alone during a thunderstorm at the age of 13. So atmospheric!

@bebeisfit

I'm with you on the retention/memory!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @bebeisfit I'm like that with books too, I don't recognize titles most the time but will from reading the back of the book.

@PKM0515 My mom let me read Stephen King when I was in 4th grade because I had an advanced reading level, I scared the crap out of myself!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @Katmary71 (or anyone else):

Do you have a favorite Stephen King book?

Does anyone read Dean Koontz?

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,914 Member
    Options
    @bebeisfit I also loved Where The Crawdads Sing. And I always forget the plots lol.

@PKM0515 I love Stephen King's The Shining. The book is really good. I also really enjoyed Gerald's Game.

My favorites...that's a hard question. Here are a few:

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
    She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    The Arc of a Scythe series by Neal Shusterman
    A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper #1) by Christopher Moore
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • LondonParisTexas
    LondonParisTexas Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Omg I read,have read Dean Koontz love it. My favourite was the one about the Golden Retriever that escaped from the laboratory ...can't remember the title though.
  • LondonParisTexas
    Options
    I have lots of favourites. I do love tinted and re-read any Bill Bryson so funny! Has anyone read any of his books?
  • LondonParisTexas
    Options
    Sorry my spell check.is crazy on this tablet I mean I do love to read and re-read Bill Bryson.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Omg I read,have read Dean Koontz love it. My favourite was the one about the Golden Retriever that escaped from the laboratory ...can't remember the title though.

I think maybe you're referring to "Watchers." He's written so many, it's hard to keep track! (I also liked "Phantoms" a lot.)
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    @trooworld the Great Alone was a page turner. I truly enjoyed that one. I still haven't read the Book Thief and Kite Runner.

I've never read Dean Koontz.

P.s. love your profile pic.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    Stephen King's Misery was fantastic. I've seen the movie several times over the years and finally read the book last year. I'll admit I had to stop a few times to catch my breath.

I read his scary ones in HS..like Carrie, Cujo, and a few others. But now I can't do horror. Too scary.

I do want to read the Stand but our library doesn't have a kindle version. One of these days I'll actually pay for a book. Lol.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,914 Member
    Options
    @bebeisfit It was a page turner! I've never read Dean Koontz either. Misery: I haven't read the book but the movie was great. You make me want to read the book now!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    I love Dean Koontz! I haven't read any of the newer Stephen King or Dean Koontz. Watchers was mentioned, I really liked that one. A King one not mentioned that I enjoyed was It.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    I just finished The Flight Girls, about women service pilots during WWII. I highly recommend it, I started it last night and just finished it. I was dying to peek at the ending but read the last 200 pages shouting updates to my boyfriend who was trying to work and had no clue what I was talking about. It's the best book I've read in awhile.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    Do any of you read Patrick Taylor's Ireland series? It's about a small-town doctor who moves in with another country doctor and their adventures with the community and in the medical field. They're fun, I just started it but think because I'm not feeling well it isn't holding my attention.
  • LondonParisTexas
    Options
    So I finished Gogol's Night Before Christmas. I'm glad I persevered it's a very interesting
    Russian folklore type story. Can't say I'd rush to read it again but as I say interesting . Started
    Jefferson's Daughters by Catherine Kerrison. I am a great fan of Jefferson so looking forward to this!