Are you counting your steps?

Options
bebeisfit
bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
Curious what your dauily step count is.

I don't have a fitbit or apple watch but I use a pedometer app on my phone. I do carry my phone most places outside but not all around the house unless I'm cleaning. And I don't have it when I'm working out.

I am working on consistently getting 7 or 8000 a day. Last month it was 3000. With winter here, it's tough to get putside for more than 20 minutes at a time.

I know 10,000 is the gold standard..doing what I can fir now.

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I used to use an app on my phone and then my daughter gave me a fitbit for my birthday. I think you'd be surprised at how many steps you do just puttering around the house. I sure was.

I aim for 12,500 steps but my average for the week is most often around 11,000 per day. Today will be a good step day because I walk with a couple of girlfriends every Friday morning plus plan to take the dogs for a ski this afternoon.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    I used to use an app on my phone and then my daughter gave me a fitbit for my birthday. I think you'd be surprised at how many steps you do just puttering around the house. I sure was.

I aim for 12,500 steps but my average for the week is most often around 11,000 per day. Today will be a good step day because I walk with a couple of girlfriends every Friday morning plus plan to take the dogs for a ski this afternoon.

I know I do some steps during the day without my phone, but I live in a small condo, only 900 sq feet. It's on the third floor, but if I go downstairs, I take my phone. I also walk the dog a couple times a day, but she is sooo slow! 20 min walk is usually less than 1000 steps. My friend gave me an old fitbit, but I had trouble synching it up. Perhaps I should give it another try.

How fun that you have a regular walking group. Lucky you!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin and am currently at 11,400 steps per day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    I'm never step-centric. Over the past 7 days, Garmin says I've averaged 5,478, but that includes one 4+ mile intentional walk, an unusual thing for me, especially in Winter. If I subtract that out, my days recently average between 3000-4000. It's probably more like 5000-6000 in Summer, counting just incidental walking.

Other than taking an intentional walk now and then, I don't make any particular effort to increase step count. (My knees are sub-fabulous. I try to walk enough to stay somewhat conditioned to it, but I don't emphasize it as a way to increase daily movement.)
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do. I try to get in 10,000 steps a day. It equals about 5 miles throughout my day. Some days are better than others. I do my best most days to hit it. I might be doing a walking video late at night to get them in but I feel better when I stay active
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    This constant rain is really hurting my step count!
  • blackburn23
    blackburn23 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit. This week has been my highest step count yet. So far I have walked 34812 steps this week and I still have tomorrow. I'm on track to beat last week's steps by 10000. One of the things that has helped me to get more steps in this week has been joining a couple of challenges on Fitbit. They are fun and I find the competition motivating.
  • Yogibearthetenth
    Options
    I try to get my 10k steps in, but am not always successful. But it's nice to notice me fitbit buzzing because I crossed 10k. I will try harder to hit it everyday. Hubby asks why I get excited about reaching an arbitrary number of steps, but it's a small victory in the battle to get fit!
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    Yesterday I finally hit 10k. Ive been averaging 5 or 6000 and this week I've hit 8000 a few days and 10k yesterday!

I was tired!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day for me....15,600 steps..Woohoo!!! :)