How long can it take to adjust to diet change (digestive issues)

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
I have a sensitive system and it is getting worse. I have been eating keto 2 days and get the runs, I think it must be the increased fat. I used to eat a banana and granola bar for breakfast with milk in coffee. Now, I am having heavy whipping cream, eggs scrambled with cheese in butter. And boullian, i eat veggies later in day. My system is fine by afternoon. I am starting a new job Mon and don’t want to have problems in morning. Should I try eating less fat? I like the cream but I don’t need to have eggs or the butter

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    It's probably the butter and cheese. You might ease off it for a bit to see if that helps. You can try to add it back if it's your absolute fave a little bit by bit or keep it off. It's the absence of carbs that cause ketosis, not the extra fat. The fat merely fills in the calorie/energy gap created by less carbs, and works together with your protein to achieve satiety (and is incredibly delicious), but it's not necessary. (Unless we are talking about therapeutic keto for a neurological disorder, in which case you must pay attention to fat/protein ratios. For diabetes or weight loss, that's not necessary.

HTH
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Aren't you in the Virta program @lorib642 ? Seems like a good question for them.

You mentioned in your other thread you thought it might be caused by the MgCl recommended by Virta. MgCl is magnesium chloride? Magnesium -some types- is a common cause of gastrointestinal issues. Your pic of the "starter kit" on the other thread shows MG64. You might need to try some other type of magnesium but I'll suggest that directive come from Virta.

Gastro issues aside- it is always interesting to me what the experts say (and certainly I'd consider Virta personnel experts). MG64 contains maltodextrin. I've read many articles indicating diabetics should avoid maltodextrin because it has an even higher glycemic index than sugar.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Yes, I am in the Virta program. That is interesting about the maltodextrin. Thank you
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    One of the tricks of the carnivore diet is to drink carbonated water (no sweeteners) when starting because you feel better with eating lots of fats. Also don't drink a lot of liquid fats, wait til they are solid again. I like ground beef but I like to make it and put it in the fridge for a while and let the fats solidify again. I use 73% ground beef so there is a lot of fat on the bottom.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure what might work for you. However my Fiancé has had IBS for the past 20 years. I convinced here to drink a glass of Metamucil with me during breakfast and again at supper time. And instantly her IBS has for the most part disappeared.

I've lost a substantial amount of weight in the past on keto, and am doing so again after 14 years of putting the weight back on. But I've learned that during Keto, Metamucil is my friend for making sure all my pipes are working consistently. And drinking lots of water is always recommended diet or not.

My Hint for making Metamucil palatable. Add a semi heaping teaspoon to a clean glass. Add about a cup or so of water... quickly stir it, and then drink it before it has a chance to thicken. Cause if you leave it for even a minute it can get quite thick and as every minute passes it gets thicker. Once you get the kack for it though, it's easy and it's benefits are marvelous.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Aren't you in the Virta program @lorib642 ? Seems like a good question for them.

You mentioned in your other thread you thought it might be caused by the MgCl recommended by Virta. MgCl is magnesium chloride? Magnesium -some types- is a common cause of gastrointestinal issues. Your pic of the "starter kit" on the other thread shows MG64. You might need to try some other type of magnesium but I'll suggest that directive come from Virta.

Gastro issues aside- it is always interesting to me what the experts say (and certainly I'd consider Virta personnel experts). MG64 contains maltodextrin. I've read many articles indicating diabetics should avoid maltodextrin because it has an even higher glycemic index than sugar.

If something is binding with maltodextrin, it's generally a cheap product. It is such a cheap sugar and you are correct, caused GI issues in some.

But also, adding a ton of fat is just unnecessary when it comes to Keto, especially if you goal is to lose body fat. If anything, you are better off focusing on the eggs rather than the heavy cream, butter and cheese. Eggs are complete proteins, rich in nutrients (like vitamin D) and good for your health. Cream and butter... Not so much.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thank you. I saw somewhere if you are. High fat you just need low carbs. I definitely have enough fat to burn. I mainly just want to feel satisfied and not go VLCD. II started taking a digestive enzyme supplement, my health coach says it is not necessary and some gi distress is normal with dietary changes. It seems to be working, or I adjusted, I don’t really know. Before I buy another bottle I will try to determine if I really need it. I also got magnesium glycine which is supposed to be easier on your system.

I am logging on Cronometer because it links with more of my devices.

I feel fine, losing weight steadily which is mostly water?, I have been in ketosis for over a week.I have a meter that measures glucose and ketones in blood. I test glucose fasting and with ketones later in day. I imagine they will have me cut back on testing once they get enough data.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Thank you. I saw somewhere if you are. High fat you just need low carbs. I definitely have enough fat to burn. I mainly just want to feel satisfied and not go VLCD. II started taking a digestive enzyme supplement, my health coach says it is not necessary and some gi distress is normal with dietary changes. It seems to be working, or I adjusted, I don’t really know. Before I buy another bottle I will try to determine if I really need it. I also got magnesium glycine which is supposed to be easier on your system.

I am logging on Cronometer because it links with more of my devices.

I feel fine, losing weight steadily which is mostly water?, I have been in ketosis for over a week.I have a meter that measures glucose and ketones in blood. I test glucose fasting and with ketones later in day. I imagine they will have me cut back on testing once they get enough data.

Let me ask this, why do you think you need supplementation? Just because you are doing keto, doesn't mean you have to supplement. I do keto and I workout 1.5 hours almost every day and haven't run into issues.
  • lorib642
    Options
    The diarrhea is a problem for me. I don’t know the cause. The digestive enzymes seem to be helping. I don’t think I will need it long term. As far as other supplements, I drink boullian and mg to get enough electrolytes. I am not very active.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    The diarrhea is a problem for me. I don’t know the cause. The digestive enzymes seem to be helping. I don’t think I will need it long term. As far as other supplements, I drink boullian and mg to get enough electrolytes. I am not very active.

I can understand the boullian or things like broth, pickles or olives, but you don't really need a mg supplement, especially since you aren't active. Also, magnesium can contribute to diarrhea. Its one of the main supplements in hospitals to help patients get their bowels moving. Although, I think they mainly focus on magnesium citrate.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thank you. I may have misunderstood something. I will ask about the mg
  • lorib642
    Options
    Found out 5he hard way, I do need extra mg. I skipped it last night and woke with terrible leg cramps. I took the supplement and over time it subsided.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Found out 5he hard way, I do need extra mg. I skipped it last night and woke with terrible leg cramps. I took the supplement and over time it subsided.

Ok. Do you salt food?

Another option to mg is doing a keto-aid.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thanks, I was salting and drinking boullian but my blood pressure is high so my dr told me to stop the added sodium but watch for dizziness and fatigue. He thinks the blood pressure should get better as I lose weight.

• psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks, I was salting and drinking boullian but my blood pressure is high so my dr told me to stop the added sodium but watch for dizziness and fatigue. He thinks the blood pressure should get better as I lose weight.

Yea it's the inherent issue. Ketogenic diets require higher sodium levels because as you reduce carbs, you deplete glycogen which maintains electrolyte levels.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

If something is binding with maltodextrin, it's generally a cheap product. It is such a cheap sugar and you are correct, caused GI issues in some.

But also, adding a ton of fat is just unnecessary when it comes to Keto, especially if you goal is to lose body fat. If anything, you are better off focusing on the eggs rather than the heavy cream, butter and cheese. Eggs are complete proteins, rich in nutrients (like vitamin D) and good for your health. Cream and butter... Not so much.

It's true that a lot of fat is a lot of calories and it's good to focus on meats and eggs rather than dairy but I disagree that cream and butter aren't good for your health. They are good fats and are rich in vitamin A and some vitamin K2. It's best to be fully fat adapted before you eat a lot of dairy fats.
  • psuLemon
    Options

It's true that a lot of fat is a lot of calories and it's good to focus on meats and eggs rather than dairy but I disagree that cream and butter aren't good for your health. They are good fats and are rich in vitamin A and some vitamin K2. It's best to be fully fat adapted before you eat a lot of dairy fats.

The preponderance of the evidence doesn't support high saturated fats being healthy, especially in large quantities.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    C

The preponderance of the evidence doesn't support high saturated fats being healthy, especially in large quantities.

I believe saturated fats are the healthiest for the body, I know that’s controversial. Studies by Ancel Keys used cherry picked data to demonize saturated fats and I think his philosophies have carried on. There are many studies saying eggs are bad because of the saturated fat content when I know that eggs are almost a complete food and people that eat a lot of eggs have great health for the most part. Carnivore dieters are flourishing eating almost nothing but saturated fats. Plus they taste great! I’d rather eat lots of saturated fats than whole grains.

• psuLemon
    Options
    C

I believe saturated fats are the healthiest for the body, I know that’s controversial. Studies by Ancel Keys used cherry picked data to demonize saturated fats and I think his philosophies have carried on. There are many studies saying eggs are bad because of the saturated fat content when I know that eggs are almost a complete food and people that eat a lot of eggs have great health for the most part. Carnivore dieters are flourishing eating almost nothing but saturated fats. Plus they taste great! I’d rather eat lots of saturated fats than whole grains.

There are thousands of studies on SFA and their impacts to elevated LDL. And there is little to no evidence on the impacts on carnivore diets. I am certainly happy you are doing well but I don't recommend high SFA to anyone as there isn't evidence supporting it.

Having said that, focusing on whole foods in general is going to improve health, especially if it helps cause weight loss.

But we don't need to argue semantics.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    We can also argue cholesterol and whether elevated LDL matters but it probably won’t change anyone’s mind. I don’t even get my cholesterol checked because I don’t think it matters too much besides high triglycerides and that’s from high carbs usually.

As for supplements, I take magnesium, potassium, and sometimes a little salt on carnivore. I’m on some blood pressure medicines and need extra electrolytes.